Freight Train trainee drivers, Fancy it?

th2013:

chilistrucker:
sounds like a pretty cracking number.
tbh, if i wasn’t off at mo awaiting a bloody ct scan i’d have seriously considered looking into it.

Had a few of them. And waiting is the worst bit. Best of luck mate.

cheers mate.
bit of a worry, had a few when in hospital a couple of weeks back. next 1 in a month to see if the injuries have shrunk/gone, and to see if i can get my licences back :open_mouth:

gazza1970:
Go for it you won’t regret it one bit , I did 10 years ago and haven’t looked back

Of course you don’t look back. …they’re not fitted with mirrors :slight_smile: (I’ll get my coat. …)

GCR2ERF:
Of course you don’t look back. …they’re not fitted with mirrors :slight_smile: (I’ll get my coat. …)

:lol::lol::lol:

Pimpdaddy:
My neighbour has worked for them over 10yrs (ex EWS) & he wanted to drive trains, why has he not got in as an internal applicant…?

Did he go for the Assesment? Maybe he didn’t pass? Sadly working for big companies can sometimes be a bit of a glass ceiling internally.

Anyone looked at the application form and whats involved? Are there questions needing examples?

Freight Dog:
Did he apply? Sadly working for big companies can sometimes be a bit of a glass ceiling internally.

No idea but he expressed his interest about it to me, I thought those sort of jobs were more likely to be advertised internally first (just like LU) then external if not enough/suitable applicants can be found, just like some airlines nowadays.

I’ve just answered my own question! See the form is straight forward and pretty basic. No questions and examples. Shame in some respects as you can’t separate yourself out much.

Anyone who’s been through give an insight as to what the process is like/ interview etc?

Airlines are the biggest glass ceiling of all sometimes. I was made redundant on the Embraer on the old salary scales. Loads left. Now they’re recruiting “cadets” on crap money. Anyway. Back to trains :smiley: . Must keep this truck related at some point or it’ll be binned :wink:

If you don’t apply you will never know ,
When I applied for my job it was advertised in a daily news paper ,I thought I had no chance of a job as most of the uk had applied ,they had 30 jobs and out of the 30 drivers over half came from a lorry back ground ,
they soon weed out the people they don’t want .
Sorry gembo I won’t reveal who I work for ,from previous experience on here there’s to many idiots on trucknet uk who like to stir sh*t.

That`s a shame, 33bmi, think they should put a 1 in front of that :laughing: !

Freight Dog:
Now they’re recruiting “cadets” on crap money.

Funny you said that, so called “cadets” are struggling to even find that job you say they’re recruiting for…

Well no disrespect to the cadets of today but I was in the same position. When I started there was no jobs you had to keep your head down, do your time, work hard saving up for flying and wait your turn and if you don’t make the grade you were chopped pronto: it was the experienced guys who got the jobs. The inexperienced had no right to a flying job over the experienced in tough times. Flybe are recruiting cadets via CTC. If you want to see how dangerous or woeful airline labour relations can get google Cathay Pacific and the 49ers :smiley:

Loving the fact they look at Armed forces and HGV, that’s two ticks in boxes for this callsign :smiley:

whats the aclohol test then
what if you had a skinful on the saturday
then they test you on a wenesday

What does a normal shift entail on the freight side ? I.e what loads do you take, where do you go, do you have a regular run say from Stourton container port in Leeds down to Felixtowe?
Something that’s always puzzled me is how do you stop a freight train from running away from you without knackering the brakes on sections of line like the one on the West Coast mainline at the side of the A74M which must be the sterpest section of railway in the UK? I know that the braking systems on trains are more advanced than on your normal 44 tonne artic but with the amount of hoppers, tankers Etc they pull the braking systems must take one hell of a beating.
Also on the Intercity trains, does the driver, guard and buffet crew change 3-4 times on the long distance routes like Aberdeen to Penzance like the used to do? Also how many hours are you allowed to drive the train and what brakes do you take? I’m guessing there’s a lot of waiting around on the freight due to them being much slower than the HST 's and having to let them through on the high speed lines and loading up etc ?

Villa ,
We are randomly tested at are firm for drugs and alcohol , it’s 0 alcohol 12 hrs before shift , if people like there recreational drugs then this is not a job for you,
The policy is that strict you even have to be careful what medication you take .

Great job but you’ll be fighting hundreds maybe thousands to get it.

I see they also have the stupid stipulation that you can’t apply if you have had laser eye treatment.

To fat for this job!!

that looks a pretty good number :slight_smile: nearly as much as i’m earning now but much less hours! then again your limited on a train not like you can pull off the doni-leeds railway line to get a coffee and a bacon butty lol. plus seeing lots of different things around europe atm

Silver_Surfer:
Great job but you’ll be fighting hundreds maybe thousands to get it.

+1