Newbie Advice Please

Morning my friends :smiley:

I am tempted to apply for a position with Rhys Davies Logistics they are seeking a Trainee Driver and fund everything from what I have read and also possibly ADR. It says on it about it being a 2 year funded programme then I assume you start off on your own driving their lorries. The pay is £343 a week so not to bad I suppose Mon-Fri…

I was just after some advice about the company and whether in this industry is that a good offer? I know to do all the training myself and licenses it would cost a few quid.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks.

£343 per week, guessing 50 hours per week give hourly rate of £6.86/hr for 2 years … not something I would personally do but everyone makes their own choices in life.

WonksterDude:
£343 per week, guessing 50 hours per week give hourly rate of £6.86/hr for 2 years … not something I would personally do but everyone makes their own choices in life.

Yeah good call… wasn’t sure how many hours it would be really it doens’t say.

I know it’s not great money but then they pay for all your training and stuff which no doubt costs a feq quid.

Why don’t you shop about & see if you can get a better wage somewhere else . The problem is with someone else paying for your training fees , is that you have to payback & depending on what they expect in return. This in itself could be going to knock your small wage down yet further . Or you may find yourself tied to a company where you can’t change your mind if you found a better job elsewhere.

Better to save for your own training if you can.

The sums are interesting. Assuming a 50 hour week and the cost of training £3k, this is how it looks:

5,200 hours (104 weeks @50hrs)

£3,000 divided by 5,200 is less than 58p per hour.

Now add the stated pay of £6.86 and that gives you pay of £7.44 per hour for 2 years = £38,688

Compare that with doing it independently:

£3,000 on interest free credit card over 15 months - £200 per month

Poorly paid work @ £8 per hr

In the same period you will have earned 5,200 x 8 = £41,600

And, after 15 months, you’re debt free.

In reality, you should average much closer to £10 per hour which would produce £52,000 in the same period.

I don’t believe that the offer is spectacular TBH.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi guys sorry for late reply.

Very good point to be fair… I haven’t looked into it enough but is it about £3k then to train up for these licenses?

If I did it that way would I struggle to get work though as I wouldn’t have any experience and from what I have read online all the work being advertised even for agencies is requesting experience :frowning:

I have just paid for my class 2 and class one and CPC training and it has come to £2485 my class 2 is booked in for next week with CPC to follow and then class one 4 weeks on providing I pass class 2 :slight_smile: I don’t feel you will struggle for work if your the right person, try phone the agencies and see what they say ect. I have already phoned my agency and they said as soon as you pass as long as you have got all your cards you will not have a problem getting work. You can only get experience by someone giving you a chance it only takes that one person to take a risk on you! and don’t let them regret that for a second :slight_smile:

ash 001:
I have just paid for my class 2 and class one and CPC training and it has come to £2485 my class 2 is booked in for next week with CPC to follow and then class one 4 weeks on providing I pass class 2 :slight_smile:

Who did you book with :question:

ROG:

ash 001:
I have just paid for my class 2 and class one and CPC training and it has come to £2485 my class 2 is booked in for next week with CPC to follow and then class one 4 weeks on providing I pass class 2 :slight_smile:

Who did you book with :question:

HI ROG

I booked with learn 2 Start seem like a really nice company and great bunch of guys and a nice new truck is always a bonus :slight_smile: I have a post up at the moment for tips pre training and then I will change that In to a training log as of Monday :slight_smile: here’s the link if anyone’s interested.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=126880