Need some advice

Hi all. Now about two years ago i was out of work and decided to get my class 2 and concentrate on becoming a lorry driver. However i was fortunate enough to get a job as a train driver and have recently qualified so am earning nearly 40k. Great but i miss the driving, alot. Now iv thought about getting my class 1 and maybe getting a job part time if possible. Do you think Im mad? Id rather be driving a truck full time but Il never earn the money Im getting now so would be mad to give it up but really wanna keep my foot in the driving industry. What do you think?

if you can afford it then go for it nothing stopping you doin agency work on days off etc

nothing stopping you doin agency work on days off etc

… provided your weekly rests are in place.

TBH, don’t really see why you want to do it when you’ve got a well paid job. But if you want to go for it, I wish you all the very best. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Because driving is all ive ever done. I used to drive for national express and i miss doing it. Like i said it would only be to keep my foot in the door as on the railway it doesn’t take much for them to say bye bye so its also a backup just in case lol. I doubt there would be many companies willing to have a part time driver so i think the agencies will be the best bit. Also Im only 28 so if i can build up some money from the railways may be able to afford changing careers in later life. Let me.tell ya if the trucks paid what the railways did or close i know what i would be choosing lol. I like my job but feel like Im missing out on something. I Dont take my job for granted as its a hard job to get and even harder to keep it but just wanna get back into driving somehow as i do miss it.

That all makes sense to me; get it done!

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Class2ldn:
Hi all. Now about two years ago i was out of work and decided to get my class 2 and concentrate on becoming a lorry driver. However i was fortunate enough to get a job as a train driver and have recently qualified so am earning nearly 40k. Great but i miss the driving, alot. Now iv thought about getting my class 1 and maybe getting a job part time if possible. Do you think Im mad? Id rather be driving a truck full time but Il never earn the money Im getting now so would be mad to give it up but really wanna keep my foot in the driving industry. What do you think?

You’d be a mug to give up the train driving job, especially in this climate. But…theres nothing to stop you going for your class1 and doing a bit of agency work in order to keep your hand in and scratch the itch, so to speak. Thats how I got into driving, but then I never left a £40k job when I did go full time, nor, I hasten to add, would I have done.