Four-in-Line trailers

Well my first dealings with BTC 4 in liners was about 1963, The brakes were a bit iffy to say the least, The were a good payload trailer, & no problems with the WAMs boys Loaded correctley they were no bother, But you had to drive very carefully when fully loaded, because as i have mentioned the Charlie Drakes were not that good, even when they were brand spanking new, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Well my first dealings with BTC 4 in liners was about 1963, The brakes were a bit iffy to say the least, The were a good payload trailer, & no problems with the WAMs boys Loaded correctley they were no bother, But you had to drive very carefully when fully loaded, because as i have mentioned the Charlie Drakes were not that good, even when they were brand spanking new, Regards Larry.

Hey Larry’ them brakes wer’nt so good on the heads of of the valley,remember eh.

Bewick:
The trailer sure did it’s job for us Dave !! The main reason for me having to resort to this combination was the granting of a heavier “A” licence and the ULW of the Mastiff and Tandem 4 was as much as I could get at the time.As regards the Bolton “hordes” we used to try and get South of the A556 junction on the M6 on a morning before they all came pouring out onto the Motorway with sheets flapping and the loads leaning over all ways,it was them that were “Mickey Mouse” drivers not the motors Dave !!! Cheers Dennis.

Im from bolton dennis do you have something to say that isn’t an insult or do we all have to put up with your constant drivel .

I have a question for you .

Why are you such a bitter twisted old man ?

bowser:

Bewick:
The trailer sure did it’s job for us Dave !! The main reason for me having to resort to this combination was the granting of a heavier “A” licence and the ULW of the Mastiff and Tandem 4 was as much as I could get at the time.As regards the Bolton “hordes” we used to try and get South of the A556 junction on the M6 on a morning before they all came pouring out onto the Motorway with sheets flapping and the loads leaning over all ways,it was them that were “Mickey Mouse” drivers not the motors Dave !!! Cheers Dennis.

Im from bolton dennis do you have something to say that isn’t an insult or do we all have to put up with your constant drivel .

Bloody Hell!!!

nowt bitter or twisted on here bowser , it’s all good old fashioned banter . i’m from the peak district and we always got called hillbillies by everyone . we took the pee out of anyone who talked different to us etc . ■■■■■■■■■ are penny pinching buggers and dennis will laugh and agree with you . life is too short to worry about these things (especially at our age ) lighten up and join in the fun . cheers , dave

rigsby:
nowt bitter or twisted on here bowser , it’s all good old fashioned banter . i’m from the peak district and we always got called hillbillies by everyone . we took the pee out of anyone who talked different to us etc . ■■■■■■■■■ are penny pinching buggers and dennis will laugh and agree with you . life is too short to worry about these things (especially at our age ) lighten up and join in the fun . cheers , dave

Wont work this time i wont accept " its banter " . Im tired of having to read through his constant sniping at anyone who aint him and anything that isn’t bewick transport .

What he posted was an insult and he knows it , it was meant as an insult and it was taken as one . Very nearly all his posts have some kind of dig or insult and i for one am sick and tired of it .

He seems to think he can post whatever he wants however insulting and explain it all as banter .
So , come on dennis whats your problem ?
And this time you will answer the question because i have no intention of letting this go . This is not your forum we all having the right to read about a subject we’re all interseted in without having to trawl through your ■■■■■ .

ANSWER THE QUESTION .

Double post .

rigsby:

hiya,
With you all the way Dave, some need to lighten up, lifes too short
if you can’t read between the lines, don’t read simple as that just
carry on Dennis you make my day, Oh’ and those four in lines were
absolute rubbish, stuck that in just to keep the thread right like.
thanks harry, long retired.

harry_gill:

rigsby:

hiya,
With you all the way Dave, some need to lighten up, lifes too short
if you can’t read between the lines, don’t read simple as that just
carry on Dennis you make my day, Oh’ and those four in lines were
absolute rubbish, stuck that in just to keep the thread right like.
thanks harry, long retired.

Your opinion means nothing to me and dont for one minute think you are in a position to tell me to lighten up , he’s wrong and you know it .

Nothing wrong with banter but we all know that its not nor has it ever been banter , he takes great joy trying his best to run people off what he considers to be his forum .

Do you have anything further to add ?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352645622.568927.jpg

Dennis. Bradys also had another 680 leyland unit HEO977.But these two did not have two gear sticks MEO 4 did and a couple of others did. FRANK

Bewick:

El Griffo:
You are right Dennis about some operators ignoring the maintenance of the autolubes and i could never understand why. To just keep it topped up and put the odd pipe back on now and again cost virtually nothing yet the advantages were colossal,you got far bigger mileages out of the running gear,lower running costs and almost no down time in fact about all we did to them was adjust the brakes and check the tyre pressures. It seemed comforting to know that every time you touched the brakes the trailer lubricated itself.

Well put Grif,but I suppose maintainence wasn’t exactly “top of the list” for some operators of yesteryear! The 4 in-line was obsolete by the time I got started as I believe the new C & U regs sunk it but I think as a result of the new regs. the short lived “tandem 4” took over from the old 4 in-line.In fact the first trailer I bought was a tandem 4 which Primrose built for me in late '69.It had a single wheel tandem arrangement that allowed for a 12 ton bogie and allowed a GVW of 26 ton,this in turn gave us an 18ton payload,this was IMO right at the extreme end of what was safe,although we never got into any trouble with stability problems it was the only trailer of this type we operated and then only for about 2 years or so!!!

Nice photo Dennis, but I hope you had a word with the driver about the poor sheeting at the back,corners should have been pulled across the back not forward, tut tut…

i can go with that , your opinion means nothing to me either so if you don’t like what you read , don’t read , end of

rigsby:
i can go with that , your opinion means nothing to me either so if you don’t like what you read , don’t read , end of

And I’m going to scratch your eyes out and hit you with my handbag!

why ruin a good handbag ? most of us come on here to have a laugh and remenisce about the old days in the job . i read things that annoy me at times , but i don,t chuck the toys out of the pram , i just don,t follow the thread concerned .

Here come the sycophants … ( google it ) .

Come up with a logical reason why i or anyone should have to put up with him . The man is insulting and all you sycophants know it .

Try to come up with one genuine reason would you instead of the usual " If you dont like it dont read it " crap , you’re boring .

You may aswell get used to this because i aint dropping it he’s took a bite of the wrong apple here " marra ".

And there was me, thinking that this thread was about four-in-line trailers!

Isnt that my point ? virtually ever time he makes a post it decends into the usual " look at me im dennis smith " or " only bewick transport " .

You’ve just agreed with me although i know you didnt mean to .

It was just that until he had his usual dig .

Here’s a 4-in-line low loader trailer with swing out axles for loading wheeled plant etc.

Dieseldog66:

Bewick:

El Griffo:
You are right Dennis about some operators ignoring the maintenance of the autolubes and i could never understand why. To just keep it topped up and put the odd pipe back on now and again cost virtually nothing yet the advantages were colossal,you got far bigger mileages out of the running gear,lower running costs and almost no down time in fact about all we did to them was adjust the brakes and check the tyre pressures. It seemed comforting to know that every time you touched the brakes the trailer lubricated itself.

Well put Grif,but I suppose maintainence wasn’t exactly “top of the list” for some operators of yesteryear! The 4 in-line was obsolete by the time I got started as I believe the new C & U regs sunk it but I think as a result of the new regs. the short lived “tandem 4” took over from the old 4 in-line.In fact the first trailer I bought was a tandem 4 which Primrose built for me in late '69.It had a single wheel tandem arrangement that allowed for a 12 ton bogie and allowed a GVW of 26 ton,this in turn gave us an 18ton payload,this was IMO right at the extreme end of what was safe,although we never got into any trouble with stability problems it was the only trailer of this type we operated and then only for about 2 years or so!!!

Nice photo Dennis, but I hope you had a word with the driver about the poor sheeting at the back,corners should have been pulled across the back not forward, tut tut…

Fair comment DD6,why it was finished off like that I couldn’t say,and I would have had a hand in it as well as our first driver !!! this was the first load on the new Mastiff and IIRC I ran down on the Sunday with our D1000 and there was no flapping sheets on the Mastiff.But fair do’s it shouldn’t have been finished off like that !! Cheers Dennis.

bowser:

Bewick:

Sorry if you got your feathers ruffled “bowser”,maybe I should have said the “hordes” from East Lancashire and greater Manchester,not only Bolton,very sorry! With regard to said “motors” hurtling out of the A556 onto the M6,this observation was initially made by our first driver who eventually became our General manager running the day to day operation of 100 motors and at the time he made the “objectional” (well to you anyway) statement I have to say I agreed with him.It was just our well founded opinion at the time,and I would remind you that we still (just) live in a country where Free Speech is still allowed.Obviously you have taken exception to this post that harks back over 40 years but I can tell you that for a good number of years Bewick Transport employed quite a number of drivers and shunters from the Bolton/Bury/Radcliffe and Rochdale areas and more-or-less without exception they were all of the highest calibre and I’ve yet to hear from anyone of them anything negative about their time with Bewick Transport,you can,of course,complain to the Mods and have me banned from the site if my cracks,BANTER and general comments are unacceptale to you for valid reasons of course!!! In the meantime,please accept my humblest apologies if any of the drivel I post on these threads up-sets you.Suitably chastised,Bewick.