Foots Transport (Southampton & Ringwood)

slatey:
good evening dont want to gatecrash but i used to work for a small
garage in earls rd bevios valley called clayton commercials i remember
working on foots guy big js and sure they had ■■■■■■■ 220 engines
could be wrong grey matter getting slow also was there a chap in the
office again not sure but was his name doug penny

Spoke with my dad yesterday and he remembers Doug Penny in the office & he also mentioned he thought his wife was called Sylvia

v7victor:
Poor Mr foots will be wondering whats going on on his thread,apologies Andy, owt for a laugh eh Dennis. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Vic

No problem! My first thread on here and it’s been great to see how quickly you get a response! Looking forward to becoming part of the gang!! :smiley:

Here is a picture of my grandfather, Eric Foot. This was taken around 1979, might jog a few memories!

andyfoot:
Here is a picture of my grandfather, Eric Foot. This was taken around 1979, might jog a few memories!

Yea Andy,i remember that face,i remember i once parked at the top of the street to come up to your office,on returning i had got a parking ticket,the warden was still there so told her the Bedford K M would’nt start,i got in and pulled the engine stop out and turned the key,nothing .the engine stop was just set back behind the gear leaver and i thought i had got away with it.She said jump out, she got in and shoved the stop in turned the key and up it fired up, had to pay the fine :open_mouth: :frowning: :blush:

v7victor:
Yea Andy,i remember that face,i remember i once parked at the top of the street to come up to your office,on returning i had got a parking ticket,the warden was still there so told her the Bedford K M would’nt start,i got in and pulled the engine stop out and turned the key,nothing .the engine stop was just set back behind the gear leaver and i thought i had got away with it.She said jump out, she got in and shoved the stop in turned the key and up it fired up, had to pay the fine :open_mouth: :frowning: :blush:

Great story, I guess she’d heard that one before!! :laughing:

andyfoot:

v7victor:

Great story, I guess she’d heard that one before!! :laughing:

Yea true,Andy ive sent you a P.M.

Hay there Andy; I loaded a few time through Foots at Southampton,twas out of the new docks 104 i think always bales of wool destined for the Bradford are,that was back in the 70s,bloody hard work 'cos the dockers were always in a hurry to finnish.it was job and go back then… :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Hi Andy, i worked for Clapcotts, in Nutsey Lane, during the 80’s and i remember your grandad coming in quite often, for a chat or to “do deals”. :bulb: think he used to drive a purple A series.

nilocekyd:
Hi Andy, i worked for Clapcotts, in Nutsey Lane, during the 80’s and i remember your grandad coming in quite often, for a chat or to “do deals”. :bulb: think he used to drive a purple A series.

Yes, that was him, I remember the old A series well, it was a purple old beast, he lent it to me once to move a shed, I was still a teenager then I think and had only just passed my car test, learned a lot about driving that day!! :exclamation: :laughing:

Nice to see the photo of Ken Bailey on your web site Andy.

Hey Andy theres a lot going on on this thread,phew!!!

kerbut:
Nice to see the photo of Ken Bailey on your web site Andy.

I’ve had quite a few emails contrary to that comment! he suffered a bit of a poor reputation because of his speech impediment and his eccentricity. But I remember Ken Baily as a friendly, most respectful old gent who did a lot of good in his life. Used to see him most weekends in Boscombe in the late 1960’s when we were trotting down the newsagents to spend our pocket money!

v7victor:
Hey Andy theres a lot going on on this thread,phew!!!

Busy Busy Busy!, I love it :exclamation: :exclamation:

It is wonderful to see the interest in this site. Well done Andy. My dear old Dad would have loved all of it. I am constantly phoning my brother and sister and we are all searching for more photos…

NormanFoot:
It is wonderful to see the interest in this site. Well done Andy. My dear old Dad would have loved all of it. I am constantly phoning my brother and sister and we are all searching for more photos…

Thanks Dad!

Hi Andy,

is this one of your Grandad’s motors?

nilocekyd:
Hi Andy,

is this one of your Grandad’s motors?

I guess it must be, I only ever saw my Grandads motors when I was very young in the 1960’s so this is a fresh sight to my eyes, my Dad might have something to add. many thanks for the posting. much appreciated!!

Stepping back a generation, saw this and thought of the “dodgy roping & sheeting” comments earlier. Looks like we’ve always been guilty of that!!
B.G. Foot, was my great grandfather, Erics Dad. I’m not sure if the photograph is of Eric or his brother Harold.

Hi Andy,

going by the colour scheme I think this must be one as well.

Bournemouth reg as well

Colin

Hi, I remember Foots in the mid to late 80’s, at the time it was being run by Doug William Penny, he had two tractor units then the ERF shown in the thread and I’m sure the drivers name was Fred, and a Magirus Deuz 232 driven by a mad Maltese guy called Frank that lived on Romsey Rd opposite the Ordanance Survey Site between Lordshill and Shirley, absolute workaholic and always in a rush. Sylvie, Doug’s wife, used to do the accounts at that time.
I used to work for TIP Trailer Rental in West Quay Rd and they would daily be in to hire trailers from us and I used to go up to the offices in Oxford St for cheques.