First day with stobarts tomorrow

andywilliams1187:
I started for stobarts last week out if widnes. First job after passing class 1 the week before. Its not to bad, had a mentor last week and will again this week. Job isnt to bad, my reversing is awfuk but alowly coming together but some of the Tesco bay’s are a nightmare!!! Contracted for 45 hours a week but got 60 in last week. Although they get lots of bad publicity with other truckers, I see it as a decent way to get experience and use it as a stepping stone

Have you done Burnley Tesco yet? You will enjoy it if you haven’t yet.

hi i have my class 2 next week and if i pass i am planning to do my class 1 with stobarts. again as ppl have said already mainly using them as a stepping stone if i pass and they offer me a job.
a lot of ifs in this sentence haha

The thing with Stobarts is (from what I have seen) the pay isn’t very good for class 1 work.

I’ve just got my first class 2 job and its only about 60p less then what stobarts in Avonmouth advertised for their class 1 drivers!!

crazyplay:

andywilliams1187:
I started for stobarts last week out if widnes. First job after passing class 1 the week before. Its not to bad, had a mentor last week and will again this week. Job isnt to bad, my reversing is awfuk but alowly coming together but some of the Tesco bay’s are a nightmare!!! Contracted for 45 hours a week but got 60 in last week. Although they get lots of bad publicity with other truckers, I see it as a decent way to get experience and use it as a stepping stone

Have you done Burnley Tesco yet? You will enjoy it if you haven’t yet.

Looking in google earth I’m assuming your not allowed the easy option of reversing in off the main road? :slight_smile:

scratch that it’s 44 pence more than what I will get

WAZ91:

Don’t forget Stobarts pay their drivers £15 (tax free) a day meal allowance - that effectively adds well over £1 to the hourly rate…

Roymondo:

WAZ91:

Don’t forget Stobarts pay their drivers £15 (tax free) a day meal allowance - that effectively adds well over £1 to the hourly rate…

You could do a lot worse than stobarts for a start in the industry…

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

I’m in no way knocking it just the pay seems a little low considering the job, is all

I was on agency, so the rate of pay was better for me. Lots of full timers love to moan about the money, but imho it’s not that bad. The odd and elegant system of bonuses doesn’t help, the hourly rate is crap, but the bonuses make it up. In fact, the only place I have worked with a weirder and more confusing system is Swains. But that’s another story.

It’s clean work, with not too much load interaction. It’s a good place to start for a newbie. You get to see … basically everywhere. You are monitored and micromanaged and they are a pain in the arse for keep ringing you. You get to meet a good cross section of people, some good some numpties. It’s long hours and some of the drops are stupid tight.

I enjoyed my time there. On nestle,the planners seem to leave you alone. Everything is computerised. You need a bloody it degree to work the onboard system, but they are more forgiving with agency.

I would go back, but everything has been subbied out at bardon, they move to castle donnington in 2019 so I think they are on a wind down.

Hope you enjoy it :slight_smile:

kopkings1:
hi i have my class 2 next week and if i pass i am planning to do my class 1 with stobarts. again as ppl have said already mainly using them as a stepping stone if i pass and they offer me a job.
a lot of ifs in this sentence haha

Well as I have said in my other thread I passed my class 2, I have contacted Stobarts and I am awaiting a reply. The woman on the phone said it’s looking like June for a start on training.

I do have an interview on mon for a class 2 perm job with a local firm and depending on how the interview goes I may just use another training company for my class 1.

Hopefully this company takes me on and if I do my class 1 they will move me into them trucks in time. Hahaha a lot of hoping there :slight_smile: