Stobarts

I know, I’m sorry! I’m not trying to start off a new stobarts slagging match. I’m not asking about pay and what the company are like because I’ve read enough to know what a lot of you on here will say!

Just wondering, is there anyone on here who:

1/ works for stobarts currently or has done in the past
2/ actually got a good word to say about them (someone must have!)

If you are that person please could you pm so I can ask I couple of questions. If I do it in here it will start another debate haha

Thanks

Rowley010:
2/ actually got a good word to say about them (someone must have!)

If you are that person please could you pm so I can ask I couple of questions. If I do it in here it will start another debate haha

Thanks

They have 4,000+ drivers so they must be doing something right.

I work for them after passing in their academy mate.

It’s alright. No source for comparison but they offer plenty of hours. Decent trucks (I say from my 64 plate R450) and they aren’t on your case all day.

I went for an assessment not long ago with the Widnes container depot.

If I wasn’t on more money for less hours then I would have joined.

If I was just starting out then they seem to be a good company to go to.

Give them a try. The worst happens is you don’t like it but you at least gain some experience.

I always give everyone the same advice I live by, go and try it for yourself. Cut through all the bs etc. Only you can tell if it’s right for you, wages, work etc. No point going on someone else’s word if their circumstances are different to yours. I’m not the biggest fan of the green death, but if they opened up 5 mins from my front door I would try them

I’ve not worked for them, but I can tell you a bit about them (this is ESL, not Stobart Group which is another company now).

As a new recruit they put you through the company induction, which counts towards Driver CPC. It’s very structured and formal.

You are paid for all Driver CPC training, which is conducted 100 % in company time.

They want things done the Stobart way, every time.

If you are a first-jobber, or coming out of the services it probably would seem like a good job. Uniform to wear, clear orders to obey etc.

If you are used to doing things your way, you will probably struggle to adjust.

I wouldn’t comment on the money…it’s up to everyone to look at the package on offer and decide if they could do better elsewhere.

Bear in mind one hidden extra with Stobart is you are paid to do your Driver CPC and what you learn will be relevant to the job as Stobart thinks it should be done: some other employers may expect you to fund it all yourself and do it in your own time.

It’s horses for courses really…

I worked for them for 10 weeks.
What do ya wanna know

Worked for them for 3 years and left around 2009, enjoyed every minute,to be honest its a totally different company now,was much better then with planners that actually had some sort of clue…a lot less BS too…

Hello All

Here we go again … waiting for the anti stobarts … lol

I use to work for the chilled network many years ago, and to be honest new tracks & trailers plus a free uniform - i had not problems and pay was always on time in the bank :smiley:

OVLOV JAY:
I always give everyone the same advice I live by, go and try it for yourself. Cut through all the bs etc. Only you can tell if it’s right for you, wages, work etc. No point going on someone else’s word if their circumstances are different to yours. I’m not the biggest fan of the green death, but if they opened up 5 mins from my front door I would try them

This is excellent advice one mans meet is anthers gravy

Phil1979:

Not having a go at you personally at all mate…, but ‘Academy’ :open_mouth: ffs :unamused: , that just about says it all.
How far up their own arses are those lot :unamused:

Been at stobarts 8 years. Now I’m on the group side. I just ignore the pc bull ■■■■ and have very little to do with the office. Easy money on the chipliner side if you don’t mind getting a little bit dirty. If you are a fat lazy knacker go to esl and go on general.

How/why did they split esl / whatever it is now?

Driver I spoke too wasn’t happy they took his old Volvo off him, the new one he got was missing half the stuff.

This Stobbarts Academy is it for any age or younger ones, my dad said yesterday my uncle knows a bloke who has got his licence through them I thought it was only on a couple of years ago for around 18yr olds.
If there still doing it for any age it saves me paying 2k.

robroy:

Phil1979:

Not having a go at you personally at all mate…, but ‘Academy’ :open_mouth: ffs :unamused: , that just about says it all.

Its a fancy word for an Apprenticeship scheme.

Not sure how to inbox , I start with them on Monday so can give you an update after the training etc

Radar19:

robroy:

Phil1979:

Yeh but Academy? … Police academy, football academy, arts academy fair dos, but an academy to learn how to drive a ■■■■■■ truck? don’t make me laugh :unamused:

Even an apprenticeship, time was when ‘an apprenticeship’ was to learn a trade like engineering, electronics etc, but again to drive a truck? :open_mouth: … a job that you could teach a chimp to do (as proven today on the roads :unamused: ) I reckon not.

robroy:

Radar19:

robroy:

Phil1979:

Yeh but Academy? … Police academy, football academy, arts academy fair dos, but an academy to learn how to drive a [zb] truck? don’t make me laugh :unamused:

Even an apprenticeship, time was when ‘an apprenticeship’ was to learn a trade like engineering, electronics etc, but again to drive a truck? :open_mouth: … a job that you could teach a chimp to do (as proven today on the roads :unamused: ) I reckon not.

Logistic Academy :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

robroy:

Radar19:

robroy:

Phil1979:

Yeh but Academy? … Police academy, football academy, arts academy fair dos, but an academy to learn how to drive a [zb] truck? don’t make me laugh :unamused:

Its more to do with getting us young ruffians into driving because finding £3K for all the licenses at 18 can be a tough ask for some. Everything about it is geared towards getting the young to come into the industry, you experience all the aspects of the job as well as getting your test and training paid for and with a guaranteed job of at least a year when you pass. Of course being a Stobart thing it has to have pomp and flair, they have the TV show, the branding, the look etc. As a bright eyed youngster who’s only job prospects are dealing with morons at Tesco its a good thing! Of course once they pass and are working, they will just be swapping the morons at the front of the store with the morons at the back of store!