Ferry etiquette

once you get near 50 most all reek of peie/ b.o. especially if theyve been working its uncontrollable . course everyone thinks they themselves dont smell but you ask a nearby youngster “do i smell?” and then “what of??” and see what answer you get

As Mr Monkey points out, ferries are public places, just like trains or buses; or even cinemas and restaurants.
For me, feet on seats is a no-no, whether they be wearing shoes or socks. Nothing to do with being truckers, holiday makers or whatever, just good manners.

Franglais:
As Mr Monkey points out, ferries are public places, just like trains or buses; or even cinemas and restaurants.
For me, feet on seats is a no-no, whether they be wearing shoes or socks. Nothing to do with being truckers, holiday makers or whatever, just good manners.

Thing is, there’s a drivers lounge if a driver wishes to act like a slob. I feel embarrassed to be a driver on that boat when other drivers are acting with a sense of entitlement among the tourists

Ferry companies…

Are only obliged to provide a cabin if the crossing is over 4 hours I think?

4 sweaty grunters all stuffed into a small 4 berth cabin with one shower and toilet shared between them… I still have the nightmares.

corij:
once you get near 50 most all reek of peie/ b.o. especially if theyve been working its uncontrollable . course everyone thinks they themselves dont smell but you ask a nearby youngster “do i smell?” and then “what of??” and see what answer you get

that reminds me of a old joke… what’s 40 foot long and smells of ■■■■ and b.o.…

the dinner queue in the drivers lounge on a p.o ferry… :laughing:

yourhavingalarf:
Ferry companies…

4 sweaty grunters all stuffed into a small 4 berth cabin with one shower and toilet shared between them… I still have the nightmares.

Irish ferries give them to drivers from Holyhead and Pembroke crossings, I don’t use them myself I just find a corner in the restaurant and watch Netflix. I used the cabin from Birkinhead to Belfast which lasted around 8hr on a night crossing so had to share a cabin with another random driver, not the best sleep ever.

When I went to Bilbao from Portsmouth the crossing took from Sunday evening to Tuesday morning but as it was October and not very busy I (My company credit card :wink: ) only had to pay £20 to get a private room.

mrginge:

yourhavingalarf:
Ferry companies…

Irish ferries give them to drivers from Holyhead and Pembroke crossings, I don’t use them myself I just find a corner in the restaurant and watch Netflix. I used the cabin from Birkinhead to Belfast which lasted around 8hr on a night crossing so had to share a cabin with another random driver, not the best sleep ever.

When I went to Bilbao from Portsmouth the crossing took from Sunday evening to Tuesday morning but as it was October and not very busy I (My company credit card :wink: ) only had to pay £20 to get a private room.

On the Brittany boats I’ll always ask for an upgrade, boss pays it back on expenses too. Even if he didn’t it’s well worth a score to get a good sleep and a clean shower.

I don’t cross the water that often but still find it incredible that the ferry company’s expect up to 4 strangers to share a cabin.
Would anyone open their front door and invite 3 passing people to come and share their bedroom.

I would never share and if a single cabin was not available I would be parking on the docks and having my rest there.

SteveWalsh:
I don’t cross the water that often but still find it incredible that the ferry company’s expect up to 4 strangers to share a cabin.
Would anyone open their front door and invite 3 passing people to come and share their bedroom.

I would never share and if a single cabin was not available I would be parking on the docks and having my rest there.

I don’t think that any ferry operator doesn’t offer single occupancy of a 4 berth cabin at the booking stage. :confused:

Unless I’m after a shower, and some drivers lounges have showers I never bother with a cabin.
let’s be honest from holyhead to Dublin is not exactly long, I’ve spent nearly as long trying to fuel up at lymm :laughing:
Good, drivers lounge or quiet room, comfy seat watch Netflix, read kindle and generally nod off a bit then your there.

God forbid I’ve even had a few hours chatting to other drivers… :open_mouth:
Don’t tell anyone shhhhh

Never mind feet on seats, TAKE YOUR HI VIZ OFF the ferry will not avoid a collision because you are sitting in the drivers lounge with your hi viz on, in case you hadn’t noticed the ship is fairly well lit up.

Mazzer2:
Never mind feet on seats, TAKE YOUR HI VIZ OFF the ferry will not avoid a collision because you are sitting in the drivers lounge with your hi viz on, in case you hadn’t noticed the ship is fairly well lit up.

The Hi Viz could be a whole new topic altogether…why do some drivers wear it whilst driving and why the hell do some still have it on when shopping in the supermarket ?

ArcticMonkey:

Franglais:

Thing is, there’s a drivers lounge if a driver wishes to act like a slob. I feel embarrassed to be a driver on that boat when other drivers are acting with a sense of entitlement among the tourists

Very well said you two guys and I agree with the OP too.

Fortunate for him that he wasn’t sent on the train where most of the occupants seem to have an allergy to water.

Hurryup&wait:

ArcticMonkey:

Franglais:

Very well said you two guys and I agree with the OP too.

Fortunate for him that he wasn’t sent on the train where most of the occupants seem to have an allergy to water.

I go on the train often. I’m the weirdo stood up at the back where the drinks machines used to be, because i refuse to sit down on the stinking seats where some sweaty crusty arsed driver has been sitting

ArcticMonkey:
I’m the weirdo stood up at the back where the drinks machines used to be, because i refuse to sit down on the stinking seats where some sweaty crusty arsed driver has been sitting

Blimey you wouldn’t have wanted to work for the council where it wasn’t just ‘driver’ it was more a case of having to sit where previous generations of drivers if not road gang worker/drivers had sat before.The grass and weeds often growing in the inches thick mud on the cab floor was an added bonus. :smiling_imp: :laughing: