Staying in bunk on ferry

So after talking with some other drivers today seems like staying in the cab while on the ferry is a pretty regular thing to do. Was quite surprised (maybe Im just a bit sheltered lol)

Not my cup of tea don’t think I’d feel to safe down there (can be rough enough up top) so just wondering is it actually illegal as the ferry announcements say?? And is there many guys on here that stay in their cabs?

I do believe it is illegal yes, but I’ve been doing it for years to be honest.

andy1207:
So after talking with some other drivers today seems like staying in the cab while on the ferry is a pretty regular thing to do. Was quite surprised (maybe Im just a bit sheltered lol)Not my cup of tea don’t think I’d feel to safe down there (can be rough enough up top) so just wondering is it actually illegal as the ferry announcements say?? And is there many guys on here that stay in their cabs?

always have done :sunglasses: if you’re quick enough :laughing: eat at hgv lounge and get on the bunk :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

thought they locked the cargo deck doors to stop drivers returning to cabs cars etc

nick2008:
thought they locked the cargo deck doors to stop drivers returning to cabs cars etc

But do they check the driver has got out in the first place.

bald bloke:

nick2008:

But do they check the driver has got out in the first place.

dunno I was too busy feeding the fish :laughing: :wink: :wink:

nick2008:

I did it all the time years ago, but I think you maybe right nick.

I was on P&O Saturday morning boat from Calais to Dover all the east europeans parked on the boat and jumped into the bed , nobody checks if you have gone upstairs or not !

There was always a lot of motors on the Stranraer/Belfast ferry in contrast to the number of drivers upstairs,I always thought :wink: I only went for the food - used to starve myself for hours :exclamation:
btw, the lower in the boat, the calmer it is.

If your first on the ferry you have time to go upstairs have dinner and back down before the doors are locked.

ive have quite a few times but I don’t make it a regular thing.

Ive had deckhands pass me mid crossing while ive been getting something from a locker and they have never said anything.

jessicas dad:
Ive had deckhands pass me mid crossing while ive been getting something from a locker and they have never said anything.

they ain’t deck hands

they just crawled out from your trailer for a stretch before docking at Blighty :wink: :wink:

Dave55:
There was always a lot of motors on the Stranraer/Belfast ferry in contrast to the number of drivers upstairs,I always thought :wink: I only went for the food - used to starve myself for hours :exclamation:
btw, the lower in the boat, the calmer it is.

Not necessarily - just saying like :laughing: Before becoming a driver, I was a Matelot…depends on the weather and the size of your vessel of course. But me personally, wouldn’t want to be on the vehicle deck whilst at sea.

Me neither, they lock the deck stairway doors, to stop people returning to the vehicle decks. Seeing as the bow doors are the weakest link in the ship, theres no way i would want to be locked down there. I did do it once, and it was a very frightening experience…

truckyboy:
I did do it once, and it was a very frightening experience…

why ■■?did you see JD :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I haven’t been up on the Dublin to Holyhead boat in well over a year,better sleep down in ur lorry, the only thing is if the sea is a bit rough will will set the car alarm off. When I use cainryan to Belfast I will only go up if i’m heading home bound. The boat staff don’t seem to care.

milkchurns:
I haven’t been up on the Dublin to Holyhead boat in well over a year,better sleep down in ur lorry, the only thing is if the sea is a bit rough will will set the car alarm off. When I use cainryan to Belfast I will only go up if i’m heading home bound. The boat staff don’t seem to care.

Thought drivers could not occupy vehicle deck because of the tragic deaths of drivers in there cabs :frowning: when a bow door did not close properly all those years ago. Tried to google it but could not find it.

miketaurus:

milkchurns:

Thought drivers could not occupy vehicle deck because of the tragic deaths of drivers in there cabs :frowning: when a bow door did not close properly all those years ago. Tried to google it but could not find it.

The Herald of Free Enterprise ferry that rolled over in '87?

I think its illegal, but I know people who do it, basically the deckhands are to busy parking the next truck, to check if you get out, and they probably aren’t really that bothered.

Personally I wouldn’t do it, but if you’re a driver hopefully you’re over 18 and know the risks, its your choice and not my business.

Next you’ll have dash cam grasses sticking you in, offering the captain video footage of you not exiting your vehicle, and TNCSI sticking up ‘contact us’ links for nosey people to stick their oar in.

They use OARS on a ferry?!? :open_mouth: