Staying in bunk on ferry

If it’s a choice between sharing a small cabin with three strangers, or sleeping in my own comfy bunk… I know which I prefer.

was always on auto pilot when i made the stranraer/cairnryan boat most o the time keep my ticket for passengers :laughing: so head on steering wheel some times…but after the TT boat rolled they got a bit sticky about sleeping in the cab. but frae friends that still run to the boats they tell me no probs sleeping but doors up are closed.
jimmy.

Diesel-truckin:

miketaurus:

milkchurns:
I haven’t been up on the Dublin to Holyhead boat in well over a year,better sleep down in ur lorry, the only thing is if the sea is a bit rough will will set the car alarm off. When I use cainryan to Belfast I will only go up if i’m heading home bound. The boat staff don’t seem to care.

Thought drivers could not occupy vehicle deck because of the tragic deaths of drivers in there cabs :frowning: when a bow door did not close properly all those years ago. Tried to google it but could not find it.

The Herald of Free Enterprise ferry that rolled over in '87?

That’s the one!!

What happened then ?

Maybe we should all remember Zeebrugge and the Herald of free Entreprise.

bald bloke:
What happened then ?

The link

youtube.com/watch?v=04lpfozFBRU

I did all the time,that it what split curtains are for.
The smell down there can get over powering from engine fumes.But if there was a fire or Adr incident,the crew does not know you are in the dungeon.

bald bloke:
What happened then ?

Basically they left port with the bow doors open and the ballast tanks full. The car deck filled with water which made it v. unstable.

KCLeblanc:

bald bloke:
What happened then ?

Basically they left port with the bow doors open and the ballast tanks full. The car deck filled with water which made it v. unstable.

There’s a really good documentary quite often shown on the discovery channel about how this happened and the failings / freak occasions that led to this. Well worth a watch if you can find it.

Just found it here - it’s 45 minutes long so grab a cuppa
youtube.com/watch?v=FBGJ3kBiQtM&sns=em

Yes, would have usually stayed downstairs, only went up if I was getting something to eat.

Woke up in Larne one morning with the stuff in the lanes beside me driving off and the deckhands standing beside me wondering where I was (was at the very front of my lane in Pole position). Jumped straight down, fired her up and got out as quick as possible :blush: :laughing: … Didn’t even have time to turn the fridge back on.