Favorite Routiers and other European Truckstops

Spardo:

Héraultais:
Another good was further down the road just before Narbonne at Montredon des Corbieres. It was called La Caille qui Chante. They did a really good fish pie, again eating there with my wifes cousin. It changed owners, who renamed it and tried to take it upmarket. Within 6 months it was shut and hasn’t reopened since.

I hope you don’t mean the one about 2 kms west of the 6009, Narbonne ring road. That was called Le Relais de Montredon last time I was there, which was less then a year ago. Good but not as good as the one at Lezignan imo.

When it was renamed it was La Braise Occitane, and has been shut for maybe about 10 months now. It may have been subtitled Le Relais de Montredon, never went there after it changed.

Héraultais:
When it was renamed it was La Braise Occitane, and has been shut for maybe about 10 months now. It may have been subtitled Le Relais de Montredon, never went there after it changed.

That’s the place, I’ve just checked my records and I think it was December 2012 when I was there although I think I have been past since without stopping because I preferred Lezignan. Although I didn’t think of it as the best it is still a shame if another bites the dust. Looking on Google Maps just now it does have Le Relais de Montredon over the La Braise Occitane sign but, as we know with Trebes, Google isn’t always up to date.

Héraultais:

Craig 111:
Every night we do trailer swaps on the other side of Lezignan, just down the road from the Alloin depot next to the little aerodrome. If you see one of our trucks parked there with a 58 prefix fleet number on the cab it may well be me.

~ Craig

Hi Craig, that’s where I work two or three days most weeks(it’s K&N now). Working tomorrow and friday doing trailer runs/swaps up to Donzenac near Brive le Gaillard. I’ll look out for those plates too! Do you park on the bit of scrub ground at the roundabout to the entrance of the aerodrome?

Well done for landing some work with Alloin/K+N, they’ve got a great reputation. It’s a small world matey, I go up to Donzenac quite a bit too, we’ve got two depots up on top of the hill on the right hand side. At Lezignan we do changeovers by the roundabout after K+N, in the side road next to the restaurant Le Mas de Gaujac, one of trucks is there every night from around 20h30. You’ll know where I mean as there are always a load of wide loads from Alté-Ad parked there as well. I’ll PM you my phone number now so we can have a proper chat later.

Spardo:
Craig. I’ll keep an eye out next time I’m down there, you still on with Stef in a Premium?
You did know that Jo died a few years back don’t you? I found out one morning when the large ■■■■■■■ earlies behind the bar turned out to be his daughter. I could see the likeness. I wrote to him to see if I could write a history of the place but never received a reply. I thought the story of the ‘foundling’ and his other long serving mate was worth telling but was sure that the place went back in the mists of time serving routiers as well. The new patron is a big bloke with a nice looking blonde wife. She comes in around 8pm and goes round all the tables with a welcome smile to shake hands. Reminds me of Chateau Gaillard, the Patronne there does much the same thing. Nice touch.

Oh well, 2 Spanish Greyhounds from Cestas to Dijon in the offing (I feel a night out coming on at the Centre Routier at Moulins :wink: ) and, believe it or not, a fox cub from Perigueux to Lisieux. The last time I did that run I ate and slept at Le Point du Jour near to La Fleche, but that was 3 years ago, hope it’s still going.

Hi there David, didn’t know about Jo, what a shame. Hope the food is still as good as ever. Did the new owner keep the lads on as they obviously knew everyone who set foot in the place? I guess I haven’t been in there for nearly five years.

Still on with STEF-TFE, driving a Premium for now. Hope our paths cross sometime in the near future. Pleased to see you’re keeping busy.

Craig 111:
Hi there David, didn’t know about Jo, what a shame. Hope the food is still as good as ever. Did the new owner keep the lads on as they obviously knew everyone who set foot in the place? I guess I haven’t been in there for nearly five years.

Still on with STEF-TFE, driving a Premium for now. Hope our paths cross sometime in the near future. Pleased to see you’re keeping busy.

Yes, the same two are still working at Jo’s but, as the little bloke (the foundling, can never remember his name :blush: ) is on outside duty in all weathers parking everybody prettily, they have a young chap to help out while he gets warm and gets his breath back. :laughing:

I am a complete amateur to you guys I stopped at that many places years ago forgot most but loved the tank wash and bar at Lockeren Belgium all the English / Dutch lads would all sit together and have a few beers and a nice meal decent showers happy days

kendavies:
While were doing photo’s, do any of these strike a chord!

OssieD:
The last photo is the old main French/Swiss St Louis border looking from the Swiss side, had a lot of fun there on a Monday morning packed to the gunnels with lorries trying to discharge their TIR carnets as it was in them days, obvious a modern photo as the old French border post was a wooden hut in the middle of the road, no posh canopy. The customs house was on the left looking from this side you had to drive round the back to get your seals checked, very tight. Two very good restaurants on the left and right on the Swiss side.

Ossie

Thanks for “kendavies” putting that photo up of ths St Louis border, and "OssieD for the comments.

Use to run to St Louis on a regular contract, been there so many times, I’ve tried over the years to find it unsussessfully on Goole Earth…made my day finding that…

■■■■ up for some reason one week, it was a bank holiday on the Friday - Monday, and I arrived on Thursday afternoon. I use to used the hotel on the left as you X’d the border from France, I was a regualr so to speak. I use to stay in the hotel, even though I had a sleeper cab, so after clearance ( but can’t travel till Tueasday am) I go and book myself in, but they were closing up for the holiday ( it was late Jan or Feb '73 I think).
But they fed me, and before I finished the meal the husband came over and asked if I’d like to join the family on a two day visit to the ski slopes, they hated the idea I’d be stuck in the cab for 4 days…Long story short, 2 days in the “shut” hotel, 2 days ski-ing with them and the two nippers, and they wouldn’t take a penny for anything, (although I treated the kids, when they let me)…really nice people Often think back, wonder if that would happen to-day…
Anyway…thanks for the memory… :slight_smile:

The Swiss are very reserved but once they get to know you they are the most generous crowd you will ever meet. I was lucky to work there for so many years.

Tried a new one (to me) last week. Drop down the Castres by pass, the N112, and turn left at the roundabout at the bottom towards Mazamet and it’s there on the left next to an abandonned discotheque (thank goodness, hope it never re-opens :open_mouth: ).

I have often seen it and wondered how he made a quid as the lorry park is so small but when I rolled up he answered my question by enquiring what time I would be leaving in the morning. He then parked me neatly and appropriately in front of a Scania and, after exercising (plenty of room next door :wink: ) and feeding the Dobermann, I went in to eat myself.

A brilliant, one item menu 5 course meal, (I love a surprise) and I was well satisfied. he doesn’t open till 6 in the morning so I breakfasted and abluted at the one up on the plateau between Mazamet and Beziers an hour after starting the next morning. :smiley:

Fergie47:

kendavies:
While were doing photo’s, do any of these strike a chord!

OssieD:
The last photo is the old main French/Swiss St Louis border looking from the Swiss side, had a lot of fun there on a Monday morning packed to the gunnels with lorries trying to discharge their TIR carnets as it was in them days, obvious a modern photo as the old French border post was a wooden hut in the middle of the road, no posh canopy. The customs house was on the left looking from this side you had to drive round the back to get your seals checked, very tight. Two very good restaurants on the left and right on the Swiss side.

Ossie

Thanks for “kendavies” putting that photo up of ths St Louis border, and "OssieD for the comments.

Use to run to St Louis on a regular contract, been there so many times, I’ve tried over the years to find it unsussessfully on Goole Earth…made my day finding that…

■■■■ up for some reason one week, it was a bank holiday on the Friday - Monday, and I arrived on Thursday afternoon. I use to used the hotel on the left as you X’d the border from France, I was a regualr so to speak. I use to stay in the hotel, even though I had a sleeper cab, so after clearance ( but can’t travel till Tueasday am) I go and book myself in, but they were closing up for the holiday ( it was late Jan or Feb '73 I think).
But they fed me, and before I finished the meal the husband came over and asked if I’d like to join the family on a two day visit to the ski slopes, they hated the idea I’d be stuck in the cab for 4 days…Long story short, 2 days in the “shut” hotel, 2 days ski-ing with them and the two nippers, and they wouldn’t take a penny for anything, (although I treated the kids, when they let me)…really nice people Often think back, wonder if that would happen to-day…
Anyway…thanks for the memory… :slight_smile:

Fergie47,
Always used to stay in that hotel over the border on the left myself, especially on a cold winters night, really nice people I think Mama was the boss always had a soft spot for the drivers, they had a daughter or niece who was totally in love with a friend of ours who is no longer with us, so I wont mention any names but the girls name I think was Frieda, this was back in the late 60’s, and as Harry say’s lovely people the Swiss once they got to know you. Happy days.

Ossie

OssieD:
Fergie47,
Always used to stay in that hotel over the border on the left myself, especially on a cold winters night, really nice people I think Mama was the boss always had a soft spot for the drivers, they had a daughter or niece who was totally in love with a friend of ours who is no longer with us, so I wont mention any names but the girls name I think was Frieda, this was back in the late 60’s, and as Harry say’s lovely people the Swiss once they got to know you. Happy days.

Ossie

Small world Ossie eh,…A few hundred metres befor the border, there use to be some parking space by a church with a huge tower, only problem was, it struck every hour…day and night…didn’t park there unless l really had too ! Do you remember that place ?

Fergie47:

OssieD:
Fergie47,

Ossie

Small world Ossie eh,…A few hundred metres befor the border, there use to be some parking space by a church with a huge tower, only problem was, it struck every hour…day and night…didn’t park there unless l really had too ! Do you remember that place ?

Hello Fergie, Didn’t work for Lloyds of Ludlow by any chance ■■ if so I remember you!
worked in Switzerland myself and made some good friends there, so I endorse everything said by Harry and Ossie.
The church you mention was on the St. Louis side and used to be the old parking place before they opened the Bachgraben, my your going back a bit early '70’s as I remember. Used to have to park there and then walk up to the border and get a Laufzettel or similar it was TIR Carnets back then before T. Forms. The owner of the restaurant Zollstuebli was called Tilly and yes Frieda worked there (but she was Yugoslav I think) nice people I think Tilly came for a trip to England once with one of the regular drivers. Happy days…

I’d like a Roschti & a flute of Hopfenperler right now,Ken. :smiley:
Never tasted the same in UK.

kendavies:
Hello Fergie, Didn’t work for Lloyds of Ludlow by any chance ■■ if so I remember you!
worked in Switzerland myself and made some good friends there, so I endorse everything said by Harry and Ossie.
The church you mention was on the St. Louis side and used to be the old parking place before they opened the Bachgraben, my your going back a bit early '70’s as I remember. Used to have to park there and then walk up to the border and get a Laufzettel or similar it was TIR Carnets back then before T. Forms. The owner of the restaurant Zollstuebli was called Tilly and yes Frieda worked there (but she was Yugoslav I think) nice people I think Tilly came for a trip to England once with one of the regular drivers. Happy days…

hello Ken (?)

That’s the place mate…proof you’ve been there,not many would know that, for me that was '72 / '73 I guess…
No, didn’t work for for Lloyds, a small family firm, Jim Squibb, Southampton. He ran a contract F88 on Avon tyres every week, tyres out, Rayon cord back. The regular driver was off for a long time, so I took over, but we also did the odd “milk run” tyres to the Avon depots all over Switzerland, + rayon cord back, great job, loved the place.
Got a friend who lives in Geneva, hope to make a visit soon, and if possible, gonna get up to Basil / St Louis, just for old times sake, if I make it, I’ll toast a beer for you in the Hotel…

Here’s that bloody bell tower…remember it ?

Here you go Ken and Ossie…for old times sake… :wink:

Fergie47:

kendavies:

hello Ken (?)

That’s the place mate…proof you’ve been there,not many would know that, for me that was '72 / '73 I guess…
No, didn’t work for for Lloyds, a small family firm, Jim Squibb, Southampton. He ran a contract F88 on Avon tyres every week, tyres out, Rayon cord back. The regular driver was off for a long time, so I took over, but we also did the odd “milk run” tyres to the Avon depots all over Switzerland, + rayon cord back, great job, loved the place.
Got a friend who lives in Geneva, hope to make a visit soon, and if possible, gonna get up to Basil / St Louis, just for old times sake, if I make it, I’ll toast a beer for you in the Hotel…

Hi Fergie,
Yes I do remember Jim Squid from Southampton I’m sure we must have met at sometime on the Swiss border or maybe Muttenz, do you remember the restaurant Rennbahn in Muttenz on the corner must have been there at sometime. In 72/73 I was working for Hilton Transport Services from Charlton London SE7. If your having a beer my favourites were Warteck and Feldschloessen (Basel) used to drink Cardinal (Fribourg) but it always gave me a “big” headache the next day. ha ha. Good luck with your trip.

kendavies:

Fergie47:

kendavies:

hello Ken (?)

Hi Fergie,
Yes I do remember Jim Squid from Southampton I’m sure we must have met at sometime on the Swiss border or maybe Muttenz, do you remember the restaurant Rennbahn in Muttenz on the corner must have been there at sometime. In 72/73 I was working for Hilton Transport Services from Charlton London SE7. If your having a beer my favourites were Warteck and Feldschloessen (Basel) used to drink Cardinal (Fribourg) but it always gave me a “big” headache the next day. ha ha. Good luck with your trip.

The bells, the bells, I can still hear them now, after a weekend parked under them I know just how Quasimodo felt, and after a night on the beer I think I looked like him to, Fergie47, like Ken said we must know each other as I knew most of Jimmy Squibb’s drivers, I was on for W M Woods in them days, as for the rest of what I was going to mention I think Ken has answered it ie: Kenny being on for HTS, and the restaurant on the corner at Muttenz, had some great times in there with the lads of Martintrux, Howes European , and Freddy Peperall on Monks from Rushden and many others I may have forgot, happy, happy days.

Harry your pm; I know what you mean only to well.

Ossie

OssieD:

kendavies:

Fergie47:

kendavies:

hello Ken (?)

Hi Fergie,

The bells, the bells, I can still hear them now, after a weekend parked under them I know just how Quasimodo felt, and after a night on the beer I think I looked like him to, Fergie47, like Ken said we must know each other as I knew most of Jimmy Squibb’s drivers, I was on for W M Woods in them days, as for the rest of what I was going to mention I think Ken has answered it ie: Kenny being on for HTS, and the restaurant on the corner at Muttenz, had some great times in there with the lads of Martintrux, Howes European , and Freddy Peperall on Monks from Rushden and many others I may have forgot, happy, happy days.

Harry your pm; I know what you mean only to well.

Ossie

Nudge,nudge, :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Ken, Ossie, Harry…thanks for the trip down memory lane lads… the restaurant Rennbahn in Muttenz, all those old companies mentioned, odds are, I met you all at one time, somewhere…!!
Were they the good old days ?..bloody right they were !!!..Thanks again… :wink: :smiley: :slight_smile: :laughing:

Sorry Guys, didn’t mean to hog the thread about Swiss…so, to make up here’s a few old eateries in France, some of you may recognise them, but they are going back a bit… :wink: