Fat drivers

I’ve been working very hard over the last couple of years to get in shape…

Unfortunately that shape is round but not to worry!!!

i had a 32 stone driver at salvesen, nice bloke,good driver. one day his foot slipped of the bottom step of a DAF 85 just outside the depot and broke his leg, couldn’t get up, tried to slide down the bank to attract attention. eventually ambulance came and off to hospital he went. he was never the same afterwards , he came into the office on night shift as he could no longer drive an lgv, but there wasn’t an office chair that would take his weight for very long and we ended up with a load of broken chairs until we just designated a chair for him. the leg never healed and just became worse , he actually passed away not too many months after his accident, I forget the actual cause but it was all down to breaking his leg after slipping off the step and the leg broke because of excessive weight.

tony

That is a pretty sad story Tony.
When I passed my artic test I wanted to just do trunking as I was sick of the multi drop handballing of class 2 and I just wanted an easy lazy job. Now looking into supermarket work and other stuff that is more physically demanding.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=139896

Remember that guy? only 28yrs old. :open_mouth:

I lost over 6st a few years back long before I was driving trucks.

Did a very strict keto diet which would be impossible on trucks unless ya had a cooker and microwave in the truck. Did 30 mins of light exercise as well on a Gazelle Freestyle.

I will admit I’ve not hardly touched a gym since driving trucks because I just don’t feel like it. I’ve gained some weight back on but no where near the 21st I once was.

From experience there will come a time when something happens and it hits you like a tonne of bricks and you’ll change your lifestyle around or you could be unlucky and not get that chance.

Your body is a temple and we really should take good care of it. You’ll see teuck drivers cleaning their trucks and making it look good while they look like ■■■■ themselves. If only they took the same dedication to their body as they do the trucks then they’d not be unfit and obese.

Diet is key. Calories in vs calories out. Exercise for toning up, weights for keeping muscle and gaining it.

I used to make a chicken bowl and still do now and again. Tastes better when cooked and hot rather then cold that’s for sure.

But it consisted of around

200g Chicken breast
200g Broccoli £0.89 per 1kg smart price bag Asda)
Half a tin new potatoes (Again Asda smart price used to be 20p a tin.

I’d cook chicken on Foreman grill.
I’d nuke Broccoli in a sistema bowl
I’d cook potatoes on stove, once cooked I’d drain water using a sieve then add back to the saucepan. I’d chuck in some butter then add a few tablespoons of English mustard and maybe a few other mustards to make a sauce.

I’d mix it all in Tupperware bowl and cut it all up if need be then add sauce and 25g grated cheese.

Tastes great and for a lot of food it came to around 400-500 calories. Had mix of protein/carbs and a little fat.

I’d eat that two-three times a day.

As for exercise though I’m still adamant the Gazelle Freestyle machine is the best thing I’ve bought for cardio. Low impact and easy to use 30 mins a day.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

adam277:
I think the BMI scale is a good tool for those that are not atheltic or bodybuilders and as this is on a trucking forum. :grimacing: I may be wrong this might be where all the jacked and ripped truckers chat. Although I’m betting the majroity of you are fat [zb] that have to adjust the steering wheel over your gut though. :stuck_out_tongue:

Another good rule of thumb for men is Waist v Height. To be in shape your waist should be half your height (and you have to measure your waist whilst relaxed - no cheating and pulling it in)

Yes i am sick of looking at mens arses as they get in and out of the cab. Builders bottom i think is the correct term. They might have a belt on but because of their fat tummy their jeans fall down about ten inches when they they are on the steps to the cab. Why should i have to continuously see the crack of their arse clearly visible above their jeans and belt. And then the fat ■■■■■■■■ go in the waiting room while they are being loaded or unloaded and they get crisps out the machine , sit next to you and start crunching them . I am sick of it

villa:
Yes i am sick of looking at mens arses as they get in and out of the cab. Builders bottom i think is the correct term. They might have a belt on but because of their fat tummy their jeans fall down about ten inches when they they are on the steps to the cab. Why should i have to continuously see the crack of their arse clearly visible above their jeans and belt. And then the fat [zb] go in the waiting room while they are being loaded or unloaded and they get crisps out the machine , sit next to you and start crunching them . I am sick of it

would it not be easier not to me looking at mens arses then? and it would save you ■■■■■■■■ about it.or,you could get a tattoo on your forehead saying…please do not sit next to me and eat crisps if your a blimp.
eat what you want,and die when your ready.
whats the point of a cpl extra years when your brains scrambled and your being spoon fed your bran/honey mush at the hospice wishing every breath was your last as your fit for nothing other than counting the mins till someone comes to change your nappy.
im 12 stone,5 ft 8 and just eat whatever and whenever.most folk gain a tad as they age,lose hair,teeth etc.if your fat your fat,if your normalish,then eat well and prosper.
i did a contract for a while on 2 ferries a day,2 meals included ,within a year i put on a stone,changed to uk/ni trip dosh,and lost it in 3 months.
if you see the beef coming on,chop it as you notice.mostly it boils down to.eat less,move more.
as soon as you start thinking,im happy with who i am irrespective of how fat i am,then your doomed.look at dawn french!!! :slight_smile:

I’ve only been back tramping full time since January but have noticed my waist line has expanded a little so I am sticking myself on a cereal breakfast and baked beans for supper diet with cuppa soup for dinner. Seen a driver in Exeter services last week, how he managed to climb into his cab is beyond me he must have been at least 30 stone, didn’t look very old either, maybe late 20’s early 30’s.

I live off meat,carbs and lager.

Me too although I have salad mixed in at various points through out the week, I like onion :wink:

dri-diddly-iver:
Me too although I have salad mixed in at various points through out the week, I like onion :wink:

and me , but only the red type , on vienna loaf with cheese

On Fed Ex when I worked out of Rugby we had a driver that was so fat we had to remove the passenger seat so he could get in and out of his cab easily. He lost his licence because he was unfit.
Over here I see guys so fat it takes the 10 minutes to get into the driving seat.

Isn’t there a limit on how fat you can be I think it’s 20 stone to pass a medical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James96:
Isn’t there a limit on how fat you can be I think it’s 20 stone to pass a medical

No.

I cycle to work, just over 11 mile each way and in the week I have juice/smoothies, I make them myself so it’s not all sugary fruit, at the weekends I eat and drink whatever I fancy but it does keep the weight off, been back from a two week holiday a couple of weeks now so still shifting the extra belly

I recon that if you’re too fat, you get paid too much.

mac12:
BMI doesn’t always mean much, rugby players are all high BMI but still very fit

indeed BMI does fail with men with over developed upper bodies such as rugby players boxers etc, but they invariably have waists smaller than half their height.
Anthony Joshua, BMI 27.5 height 78" waist 36"
Iron Mike Tyson BMI 30 height 71" waist 34"

So if you think your BMI is misleading check your waist - it should be less than half your height.
(and waist is not what trousers you can squeeze into, measure with tummy relaxed)

James96:

Better warm my mate then as he got weighed the other day and was over 28st :smiley:
Funny thing was he said he thought he was no more than 17st before getting on the scales :open_mouth:
How can you misjudge over 10st ?

yorkshire terrier:
How can you misjudge over 10st ?

Probably the same way as I try to convince my Missus that it’s 12 inches. :wink: