Falklift driver damaged my wagon

So whilst getting tipped today the falkie crashed right into the side of my wagon. He damaged the safety bar and has admitted liability.

My issue is the TM told me to drive it back to the yard but to “bend the bar back into place first. The photo is after I bent it back and it’s as” straight" as I managed to get it… I drove back to the yard and parked it up.

The TM and office people are saying they can’t book it in until next week as ryder won’t have a safety bar in stock. They want me to drive it tomorrow and possibly next week.

Can you legally drive it with a bent /damaged safety bar /body work?
I told them vosa would see it and pull me etc etc but they said to explain how its just happened… Its going to be repaired and vosa would “understand”

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Get a ratchet stap find a post,Bob’s your uncle, use a bit of brain ain’t hard is it,crack on

Good job you posted a pic, I thought a bird of prey had attacked your cart in 1873.

I would have put a strap round it and attached it to the forklift that damaged it to do a better job of pulling it out.

I’d do as MrGinge says. Although I might not trust the forkie. I’d find a sturdy bollard in the yard to pull up next to and ratchet off of that. Should be able to almost straighten that back up.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

mrginge:
I would have put a strap round it and attached it to the forklift that damaged it to do a better job of pulling it out.

Failing the suggestions above take a lump hammer to it, I can’t see it being that big a job to get it reasonably straight, the DVSA are not going to check it with a straight edge.

seeing as how itl be your lorry n a similar way to dozy owning stobarts fleapit,then theres always the option of telling them to get the workshop man to get under it and give it a good kicking,or use the aforementioned forlift for a tug? no biggy to be sure.

On the phone to TM, Right I’ve tried my best but not being trained in this sort of thing it looks like it’s worse. That would explain why the whole underrun wasn’t attached to the vehicle. Oh and it took 3.5hrs with tachometer on other work.

mrginge:

In my vast experience of “Kerbside Motors and Engineering” I would agree with mrginge here. couple of ratchet straps, or a 5t chain pull, get it somewhere near.

Is it likely to fall off or not secure? Looks fine to me just a bit denty.
All vosa will look for is if it’s secure not if it looks pretty.

As far as I can see all VOSA Would say when did it occur and hand you an advisory, Regards Larry.

If it’s now the done thing for a driver to repair his lorry then don’t risk taking your eye out and making it worse with above suggestions ,instead spend another minute and unbolt it all and use some timber and a lump hammer to make a neater job of straightening it out and rebolt it all . :smiley:

Punchy Dan:
If it’s now the done thing for a driver to repair his lorry then don’t risk taking your eye out and making it worse with above suggestions ,instead spend another minute and unbolt it all and use some timber and a lump hammer to make a neater job of straightening it out and rebolt it all . :smiley:

I agree Dan thats what I would have done but If I may say so theres drivers & theres drivers :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Regards Larry.

The sideguard is there to prevent pedestrians, cyclists, motorbikes etc being runover by the rear wheels .It is also there to reduce the chance of a slow speed glancing impact from a car resulting in the same.

It is plain as day that in its present state it cannot do what it is there for. It is an MOT failure even if pushed in far, far less than that. “Sideguards must be no more than 150mm in from the outermost plane of the vehicle (maximum width). The last 250mm of the guard at the rear must be no more than 30mm from the tangential plane of the rear tyres.”

Whether it is an immediate or delayed prohibition roadside is beside the point.

Only a fool would take that out of the yard again. As for the company saying to lie about when it happened, that tells you all you need to know about staying in the job.

cav551:
The sideguard is there to prevent pedestrians, cyclists, motorbikes etc being runover by the rear wheels .It is also there to reduce the chance of a slow speed glancing impact from a car resulting in the same.

It is plain as day that in its present state it cannot do what it is there for. It is an MOT failure even if pushed in far, far less than that. Whether it is an immediate or delayed prohibition roadside is beside the point.

Only a fool would take that out of the yard again. As for the company saying to lie about when it happened, that tells you all you need to know about staying in the job.

Well there we go, Do we talk or do we tork, Or do we fork & then talk :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

cav551:

It is plain as day that in its present state it cannot do what it is there for. It is an MOT failure even if pushed in far, far less than that. Whether it is an immediate or delayed prohibition roadside is beside the point.

Well there we go, Do we talk or do we tork, Or do we fork & then talk :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Regards Larry.

We Falk then talc.

Lawrence Dunbar:

cav551:

Drivers or screw drivers, the mind boggles

How on earth did we manage without the internet?

Fair enough, a new bloke who listens to waiting room stories might be a bit worried. It’s the answers that really scare me.

tachograph:
the DVSA are not going to check it with a straight edge.

Dpont be giving them anymore ideas!!

cav551:

Aren’t pop rivets amazing?