Broken side bar

I was told to pick up a truck. Dropped off by van. Did my checks someone had damaged the side bar or under run bar or whatever you want to call it. Drove it back to yard having defected it. Don’t worry says the transport manager drive it for a few days and we’ll get it fixed. 2 weeks later I’m still driving it un fixed. Visibly broken with sharp edges at the break and partially pushed back into the rear wheel arch. So on Monday I said fix it before next Monday or I wont take it out after Sunday. Well Wednesday morning sent home and looking for a new job. Your thoughts please ?

Agency? Or full time?

ukjamesuk:
I was told to pick up a truck. Dropped off by van. Did my checks someone had damaged the side bar or under run bar or whatever you want to call it. Drove it back to yard having defected it. Don’t worry says the transport manager drive it for a few days and we’ll get it fixed. 2 weeks later I’m still driving it un fixed. Visibly broken with sharp edges at the break and partially pushed back into the rear wheel arch. So on Monday I said fix it before next Monday or I wont take it out after Sunday. Well Wednesday morning sent home and looking for a new job. Your thoughts please ?

You are a lucky man. I’d be sacked for taking that on the road

Fulltime but contract states 1 weeks notice for first 2 years. I was sent home due to economic downturn, nothing personal mate…

No I defected it and phoned transport office and was told to drive it back to yard

ukjamesuk:
No I defected it and phoned transport office and was told to drive it back to yard

Not saying you didn’t do what you should have done just pointing out if I decided to take it out I’d be sacked if you defect it and don’t take it out your sacked.

I’m looking forward to finding the middle, common sense ground

If the O.P. believes…possibly correctly… he was sacked for refusing to drive a repeatedly defected vehicle, then maybe later he’ll be grateful.
Certainly bad for him now, true. But hopefully sooner rather than later he’ll get a better deal.
What if he’d kept quiet and just got on with it? Thin end of a wedge? Rear lights are dodgy, so tell they were ok when you left yard? Brakes are iffy but we know, so no need to defect them, we’ll sort them soon…
Looks bad now ukjamesuk, but maybe you’ve dodged a bullet there.
Course, on t’other hand: they could just be a totally honest blue chip company that has taken a downturn in work.

Worth a call to the DVSA, if you feel vindictive?

Revenge…a dish best eaten cold.

Another bloody drama queen, just drive the bloody thing, could even have a bulb out, then the world would end, as so many professional steering wheel attendee’s seem to think it’s not there job to change a bulb…

Problem is I drove for 20 plus years for 2 big PLCs that kept their vehicles up to scratch. I don’t really understand the likely hood of the police or VOSA taking an interest in the truck as I drive down the motorway etc.

I assume we talking about the trailer side bars here (or side of rigid)? If so, haven’t they got a replacement trailer or a local garage that can fix it? Pretty sure they just bolt on.

Whatever it us, not fixing something thats obviously bent and sharp is a really bad idea. Bulbs can genuinely blow enroute, but something like that is going to peak a lot of interest from VOSA and sharp edges I’ve been told mean off the road (PG9?). Plus could run you into a lot of trouble.

Think you dodged it there as can’t imagine what else they don’t bother with. Also a good reason to give to next employer, just maybe don’t mention you drove it for a week…maybe a couple of days.

As for crackon - bulbs are one thing, bent bars are not op replaceable. God knows how you replace bulbs on half the new trucks out there (even this 15 plate DAF).

It’s always worth photographing these things.

Let go on Wednesday , driving for better pay on Monday for a company that only runs up to 2 year old vehicles. Glad I remembered the old advice look after your driving licence not their transport manager.

ukjamesuk:
Let go on Wednesday , driving for better pay on Monday for a company that only runs up to 2 year old vehicles. Glad I remembered the old advice look after your driving licence not their transport manager.

Well if it turns out the reverse ain’t too clever on your new wagon I’d bite your tongue until it lunches itself at the roadside then just leave them to pick up the pieces.

Good advice given to me by a fellow driver in my last yard , just drive it until it breaks , I just find it hard not to be proactive.