Failed my reversing on class 1

So I failed my class 1 today on the reversing drill everything was spot on.

I pulled up between the cones nearer to the passenger side cone but was told by the examiner to go around the test centre then position in the centre of the cones which completely threw me.

Hopefully get a test again next week and get it passed.

Any tips are well welcome.

Simple. As long as the examiner can stand at A cone (the one nearest your nearside front) and look across to it’s partner (the one nearest your offside front) that’s fine. The other check is that the examiner must be able to look up the side of the truck from the n/s/f and be able to see B cone.

Sometimes on a test, it’s easy to get it a bit wrong and re-positioning is not unheard of.

But the examiner is wrong to insist on you being central between the cones.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks mate I’m hopefully doing it next week get it smashed :smiley:

Wishing you the best of luck for your retest! :slight_smile:

Do you think you might have misunderstood what the examiner said? Maybe he wanted you to reposition, and said “nearer the middle” because you were too far left and you took it to mean “in the middle” due to the stressful situation? Seems a bit strange that an examiner would give the wrong instruction when it’s a manoeuvre they explain on every test.

Hayley293:
Wishing you the best of luck for your retest! :slight_smile:

Thanks hayley293

SJB:
Do you think you might have misunderstood what the examiner said? Maybe he wanted you to reposition, and said “nearer the middle” because you were too far left and you took it to mean “in the middle” due to the stressful situation? Seems a bit strange that an examiner would give the wrong instruction when it’s a manoeuvre they explain on every test.

Probably I was dreading the reversing drill anyway at least I know for the resit

I’m not exactly looking forward to mine either :open_mouth: :laughing:
Good luck.

SJB:
I’m not exactly looking forward to mine either :open_mouth: :laughing:
Good luck.

Good luck to you as well when is yours

This test is daft anyway. It’s meant to test your ability to reverse. As far as I’m concerned that includes your ability to set yourself up. In the real world you wouldn’t start it straight. If those were real obstacles you’d try and throw your back out by swinging it out before you even put it in reverse.

As for the whole 2 shunts thing… What sort of message does that send to learner drivers? They should be taught to get out as many times as they need to get it done safely with no damage. Whilst I doubt I’d have any problem with the test reverse. I often both get out of my cab and take ‘unessersary’ shunts to make life easier for myself.

I have my suspicions that the test is created by those who have never done the job. The reverse should be into a RDC style bay as that is what the new driver is likely to face. I wouldn’t agree with making them do a blindside or a ridiculously tight reverse - but the current test is a bit of a joke imo.

I agree sammym - there is always a place somewhere on a test route when a real life reverse could take place

jojo5993:
Good luck to you as well when is yours

Middle of September I reckon. I passed my Cat C a while ago, but I’ve had to wait weeks between available CPC tests (Mod 2 then 4), AND I couldn’t let the examiner send off my licence because I needed to show it for those CPC tests, as a result my C+E provisional has been delayed by my poor planning really. As soon as I get provisional C+E I’m going straight in for the training. I did buses for a few years so happy with Cat C sized vehicles but C+E will be interesting, I know how bad my reversing of a small car trailer is. :open_mouth:

You shouldn’t need to listen to the examiner when he’s explaining the reversing manoeuvre as you will have been practising it all week.

Deep breath then smash it the next time.

Good luck.