Instructor changed box on the lorry and the usual marker was not there,
So i panicked and backed it short 4ft after a look to get it closer aswell,
Gutted

crunch463:
On the reverse,
Gutted

Did you do a reverse on the warm up prior to test?

No we didnt, should of asked phil where the marker point is now,
But in heinsite level with the cone at the front im told is a good mark to aim for on reverse

unlucky crunch i did mine reversing today i think its pretty easy,

Yeah and id have been fine if i had the marker to aim for should of just gone another couple of feet and i would be in ypur shoes, [DISAPPOINTED FACE]
Oh well get reebooked and carry on
Pity its so much £ to do over and over as this will be my 3rd attempt so 3rd time lucky and that

crunch463:
No we didnt, should of asked phil where the marker point is now,
But in heinsite level with the cone at the front im told is a good mark to aim for on reverse

They move that cone by up to 3 feet so it cannot be used for that - it is not set exactly for the length

I am very surprised that a reverse with a temp grid was not done prior to test - many schools have a plate or board in the rear that is the same depth and marked as the one on the reverse pad but is only about 2 to 3 feet wide - great to use on any quiet road

Dont get me wrong the reverse i had down and nailed on my first test,
Trouble is the marker i had the first time was no longer available on the wagon due to changing the rear box to a curtainsider,

crunch463:
Dont get me wrong the reverse i had down and nailed on my first test,
Trouble is the marker i had the first time was no longer available on the wagon due to changing the rear box to a curtainsider,

Which is why they should have done a pre test reverse IMO

I agree but, its done now im awaiting a retest, so fingers x

Any change of vehicle should always be sorted before a test - at the school’s cost. It’s ridiculous to have the truck changed, lose your reverse marker and then be expected to pay for another test. I’d be having a word. Big style.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Well we will see, im not after a hand out in the real world all vehicles are diffrent and i should be ready just a ■■■■■■■ but ahh well

If they taught you to use a marker then they were teaching you to perform the reversing exercise for the purpose of passing the test. They failed in their duty by replacing the vehicle and not re-training you for that.

Learning to drive comes afterwards!

I have phoned up and got them to search for a retest,
I explained that my funds were lacking if not none existant, and his words were don’t panic we will get you through, so :smiley: I hope I can get a cheaper price etc!

Keep a level head crunch and don’t let them stress you but I would be making sure the school pay the retest.
Changing the trailer was a bad move on their behalf and not giving you a pre run was the icing on the cake
Good luck

What did your instructor have to say afterwards? If he taught you to pass the reverse based solely on a mark on the box and then changed it for the test I’d say a large chunk of blame lies with him. I would certainly be asking that they pay for the retest and at the bare minimum at least let you use their truck and time for free when you take it again. Good luck though

I feel the same lads i do!
But he has not said no to any of your suggestions but neither have i asked,
At this point i think im best waiting for them to find me a retest and then discussing a plan

Oh and thanks again for your support
Im self funded with little to no experience prior to my course on hgv driving, but as a passion of mine for many years i invested the cash to get the licence for the job i want.
But cash is low.
So its nice to now people agree

crunch463:
On the reverse,
Gutted

In the heavy goods vehicle book it states that you can slightly touch the barrier on test, and explain this to the examiner before the test and even show him in the book. you are allowed to touch a bay at a yard. so just get closer dont panic.

Thanks ill get it, you only fail when you quit

Be VERY careful about touching the barrier. Yes you can touch it but NOT move it. The difference is less than 1 inch.

Better to have 100% confidence in the marker position. Some like to stop a few inches short then adjust after getting out to check.

Personally I think it was better when you wasn’t allowed to get out. There were less decisions to make.