European-built Macks

I guess it would sense to add some pictures to give some more color to the words. Some willing to share might not have a clue what is meant with what.

Another EFT35 with the Genève cab as shown before:

And another one with the Motor Panels cab (the one on the right, the left one is another EFT 35 but recabbed after an accident with a Unic V8 cab which sits slightly higher on the chassis, both are from the Derudder fleet):

Bernard TD211.35 with Letourneur & Marchand cab. I believe some of those cabs were also built by Pourtout

TD211.35 with the old Pelpel cab, note the Mack badge on the grille:

T200.35 “Lévrier” with Pelpel cab and aircooled Alsthom V8:

TDA 180.35 Charbonneaux by Pelpel, nicknamed “Television”:

And the later TDA.35 with the new Pelpel cab:

And last but not least an R-Series with Pelpel sleeper cab:

Evening all, Barreiros, I fear we may be the only two people with a love of Bernard!! But to add a few words to your well researched pictures.

The last Letournier cabs, at the “end” of Mack/Bernard in 67, were purchased by Bernards Dunkerque Dealer, and built up as Mack 214 hp powered examples. One was built up with a “day” cab, (no sleeper), and run by Transports Tabara, of Troyes, a totally unique lorry. Several found their way into Belgian operators, (including Tpts Charlier).

A number of the unsuccesful “Greyhounds”, (Levrier), had their unreliable Alsthom diesels removed, and they were re-engined with DAF units!

Regarding Willeme, and specificaly the W6DAT, and W8SAT, RD615LT, &LD610D. The entire “Sahara” range encompassed some 17models. Although Cottard, of Bourg en Bresse was Willemes main supplier several, (around 20 examples ), of the RD, &LDs were fitted with Geneva produced cabs. This information is corroborated by associated documentation that I was able to secure from my personal involvement in Saviems evaluation of the TG range as produced by Perez et Raimond, (PRP), in 1975. The TG “heavy hitter” range cabin, was exclusively the product of Pelpel .

Did not Geneva produce that real odball test Willeme, based on a very high geared WR8 8cylinder, 4x2chassis for Michelins tyre testing operation. With a cab incorporating the roof panel, and windscreen of a Citroen DS19? 100mph plus!

But if we look at Unic, their semi forward control cabs were the design and products of Letournier, then came the Geneva “cabover” as you illustrated in the G Borca example, as shared with Mack/Bernard, (Derudder). Then of course came the "imposition " of the Fiat H series cab, (as the 619T),…but French influence prevailed, and Geneva modified this cab to tilt, and it sat above that “dreamy” 14.88litre 340hp Unic V8. What a go, go, girl! an exhaust note like tearing calico!!! a real performer, the last “real” Unic!

I suppose at this juncture we should remind ourselves of the Unic powered, (RB6ZU122 @165hp) Willemes. They only lasted 12months of production, their “Shark Nose” cabs being equipped with four headlights instead of the normal two.

The picture of the Pelpel cab Leyland reminded me of the Leyland, and BMC chassis that carried the distinctive coach built cabs of Emil Frey AG, of Safenwil, Switzerland, and of course there was the Desoil cabbed B61 Mack!! Plenty of variety in the French market place , n`est ce pas. I shall away to happy thoughts of France, (and a large Bollinger)… Derudder, did not Norbert try to buy them out? I vaguely recall that they ran a Henschel as well as Macks? Cheerio for now.

The Willème LD810 Michelin test vehicle has a cab from Teilhol. Teilhol also made a name for them with some sort of beach buggys on Renault ond Citroen Chassis, maybe that’s a reason for the Citroen parts of the cab.

I guess this is the Tabara daycab:

I’ve been reading a bit on the topic of the Sahara cabbed Willèmes and I have to give my kudos to Mr. Saviems knowledge. The Sahara cab was indeed a Genève design and the first examples were fitted with that cab in their shop. They also made a b*stard version of that cab combined with the hood of the sharknose Willèmes. For mass production, if you can call it that, Cottard then was the main supplier using the same design. Call me maybe a stickler for detail but if you’re not sitting in a pool of information it’s the little things that sometimes clarify a lot.

I guess I’m steering the tread away a bit from its original intent, but what the heck, here’s a brochure page featuring that b*stard cab: