US vs. European lorries

This argument has cropped up, often unexpectedly, in other threads on this forum, usually with the effect of Japanese knotweed on those threads. On its own, I would suggest that it would make a very interesting topic for discussion- on its own, in quarantine, here.

My own simple, general observation is that the US engineers did the good ideas first, but the arguably more sophisticated Europeans bettered them in the execution.

The Americans were first with moving production lines (Ford), sleeper cabs for long haul, tilt cabs (pre-war), high-torque-rise engines (Mack, 1967), high power engine options (400+BHP, late 1960s), high-roof cabs in full production (Kenworth Aerodyne, about 1975?). European firms improved engine efficiency (eg Gardner, Scania), driver comfort (DAF 2600, 1962), overall engineering (vertically integrated companies) and manufacturing methods (pressed steel cabs on heavy lorries became the norm in Europe in the late '50s, while the US persevered with their effectively “coachbuilt” designs).

Of course, there have been exceptions to this generalisation, but the curiosity is that the two continents should pursue such entrenched, differing approaches to the same challenge for so long.

There’s often too many bs stereotypes applied concerning the issues of the ability of American trucks to be sold and operated outside of their own home sales environment compared to places like the UK.One of the best topics on here to answer the question is Kenworths in the UK and if only we could get some New Zealand operators of US trucks on here to provide some input. :bulb:

As an observator from the corner of Europe, i have to say that I agree that most innovations came from the US. It’s the different philosophy that two sides built their trucks according to their needs. Shortage of space at the old built Europe led to coe trucks and eliminated bonneted. Also the fuel price forced Europeans to chase efficiency while US manufacturers didn’t seem to worry that much.
As matters the ability of trucks of each side to be sold overseas, i believe that this has to do mainly with legislation. Europeans and mainly Germans protected their industry (and economy) by putting again and again size, weight, safety and emission standards that made US trucks less competitive. Apart from the above Europeans did big progress on the design of vehicles while US designers kept following the same basic lines inside and outside.
In general i believe that US trucks are made not to break. European trucks are sophisticated and elegant looking tools.