Eu referendum whats your vote

Carryfast:

Spardo:

Carryfast:
First you referred to 1944,then you referred to the ( ‘French’ ) chasing the Germans back to Berlin.As opposed to the Vichy ‘French’ regime that Bewick was obviously referring to.Remind us of its status in 1944 or for that matter in late 1940.No surprise you’ve conveniently airbrushed France from the title of Vichy as though it refers to a different country when it was actually the self proclaimed official government of France.Just like the EU 4th Reich quislings in power there now led by POS Macron the biggest quisling of them all after Petain. :unamused:

I know that you have a problem inside the head with understanding simple language, but now I also know you have trouble with your eyes, or how to read anyway. This is what I wrote:

Fake news and false history, France did block the Germans in '14, never heard of Verdun? And they were blocked all the way back towards Berlin in '44. I know there were schools in Southampton, because I went to one, but obviously some pupils did not pay attention. :frowning:

By coincidence I have just finished reading a history of the Allied advance to the Rhine after the breakout from Normandy in 1944. By far the largest contingent of Allied troops were from the USA, whether we like it or not. The British and Canadians were running out of manpower. Other Allied armies were Dutch and Poles. There was one army of Free French soldiers involved in the advance. There was a major bust up between De Gaulle and Eisenhower because the French refused to follow orders (no surprise there). The French only came into line when Eisenhower threatened to withdraw all logistical support of ammunition, food, and fuel, as well as equipment. All of which the French were totally dependent upon from the Americans and British.

cav551:

fodenway:
Just an observation, but perhaps one reason is that Australia, New Zealand and (much of) Canada have English as their first language.

Plus we don’t eat frogs legs or sauerkraut not do we have a midday siesta. Our traditional culture is not the same but it was similar to those Commonwealth countries mentioned before all this multiculturalism ■■■■■■■■ we are told is so [zb] wonderful.

And, in a nutshell, we have gammon. Two posts summing up the insular mentality of the Brexiteers.
It’s going to come as a shock to them, but English, while useful, and very widely spoken, is not the universal language of the world.

But no matter eh Cav and Fodenway? You can still get by abroad by speaking slowly and loudly in English. And if that doesn’t work, just speak slower and louder.

cav551:

fodenway:
Just an observation, but perhaps one reason is that Australia, New Zealand and (much of) Canada have English as their first language.

Plus we don’t eat frogs legs or sauerkraut not do we have a midday siesta. Our traditional culture is not the same but it was similar to those Commonwealth countries mentioned before all this multiculturalism ■■■■■■■■ we are told is so [zb] wonderful.

According to that true Brit paper The Sun…our most popular UK meal is spaghetti Bolognese, 2nd pizza, roast is high up, also fish and chips, (thanks to the Portuguese and Belgians for that). Curry and stir fry also make the top twenty.
Surely the strength of UK culture is not ignoring anything new and foreign but adapting and using it.
No one has siestas here maybe, But some have an afternoon nap.

Franglais:

Carryfast:
No it doesn’t because free movement of labour between Oz,NZ,Canada and UK makes much more sense.Than free movement of labour between East Europe,or even West Euro and UK,among other places outside the EU,which Fuhrer Merkel says we must take in.

bpvideolibrary.com/record/441

Why do you say free movement of labour “makes much more sense” with Aus, NZ, Canada,than with other European countries?
We trade much more with the EU than those other places. Tell us why it makes sense to exchange labour with those places we don’t exchange so many goods with, rather than those we do?

Only a completely committed Europhile could possibly ask that question.

Firstly as you know our trading relationship with the EU is all in the EU’s favour not ours with trade deficit figures to prove it.

Secondly did you see the video I posted regarding better days when we did have freedom of movement between the colonies and the old country.It’s obvious that the places are/were just an extension of our own culture and society together with the shared language.IE moving to the other side of the world and finding another part of home.As opposed to looking for a job in Europe where the language barrier is always the first problem in addition to more or less alien societies.

fodenway:

Also home from home. :bulb:

gingerfold:
By coincidence I have just finished reading a history of the Allied advance to the Rhine after the breakout from Normandy in 1944. By far the largest contingent of Allied troops were from the USA, whether we like it or not. The British and Canadians were running out of manpower. Other Allied armies were Dutch and Poles. There was one army of Free French soldiers involved in the advance. There was a major bust up between De Gaulle and Eisenhower because the French refused to follow orders (no surprise there). The French only came into line when Eisenhower threatened to withdraw all logistical support of ammunition, food, and fuel, as well as equipment. All of which the French were totally dependent upon from the Americans and British.

Also bearing in mind that the Vichy French airforce put up a better fight against the allies from its colonial bases,often equipped with better aircraft,than the ‘help’ that the French Airforce gave the RAF in the Battle for France before Dunkirk.

France is historically a schizophrenic place veering between good old school Nationalism ( free French and now the FN and Le Pen ) v delusional superiority complex which sees itself as a wannabee ruling power across Europe with whichever allies it can find sometimes Russia sometimes Germany and sometimes Spain or sometimes a combination of any or all of them.More often our enemy than our friend in that regard.Macron being the latest jumped up Napoleon like ■■■■■■.

Although to be fair there was also a bust up between us and the US over the stupid Arnhem circus which unfortunately the Americans backed down on.In addition to concentrating too much on getting bogged down in Italy to the point where the Americans rightly went for the South of France landings on their own.That campaign being far more effective,with less resources,than either the almost disastrous Normandy close call,and the actual disastrous Arnhem ■■■■ up and the pointless going nowhere war of attrition in Italy bleeding us of men and resources to the end.

dexxy57:
And, in a nutshell, we have gammon. Two posts summing up the insular mentality of the Brexiteers.
It’s going to come as a shock to them, but English, while useful, and very widely spoken, is not the universal language of the world.

But no matter eh Cav and Fodenway? You can still get by abroad by speaking slowly and loudly in English. And if that doesn’t work, just speak slower and louder.

No just posts showing that we’re Brits.Not Continentals wanting to be ruled by a new European Reich like all those which have gone before whether German and/or French run or a collaboration of both like the Vichy regime which the resident Francophile/European Superstate supporters have laughably tried to deny.

While English is obviously more widely spread spoken than French or German.

dexxy57:

cav551:

fodenway:

Got no intention of going to the stinking holes so I won’t have the problem. Went to France 30 years ago, their laybys looked and smelt like ours do now. ‘Defense d’ordure’, clearly they can’t read their own language so I wouldn’t expect them to understand ours. But I suppose you have to make allowances when you consider what their bogs are like. I do object to them bringing their filthy habits over here though.

Franglais:
According to that true Brit paper The Sun…our most popular UK meal is spaghetti Bolognese, 2nd pizza, roast is high up, also fish and chips, (thanks to the Portuguese and Belgians for that). Curry and stir fry also make the top twenty.
Surely the strength of UK culture is not ignoring anything new and foreign but adapting and using it.
No one has siestas here maybe, But some have an afternoon nap.

Ironically the best Schnitzel is done by Italian restaurants here and on the continent usually after a good sized portion of spaghetti and clams for starters.Would I trade that for Roast Beef and Yorkshire pudding and veg no.But a good second just like Dortmunder Pils or Hofbrau as opposed to Fullers ESB or Youngs Special.As for steak and chips with mushroom sauce again forget the French muck the Swiss do that best.While the best thing that ever happened to French cuisine was McDonalds as you’d know if you’ve seen the queues there to get one at most times of the day. :wink:

cav551:
Got no intention of going to the stinking holes so I won’t have the problem. Went to France 30 years ago, their laybys looked and smelt like ours do now. ‘Defense d’ordure’, clearly they can’t read their own language so I wouldn’t expect them to understand ours. But I suppose you have to make allowances when you consider what their bogs are like. I do object to them bringing their filthy habits over here though.

To be fair much of South Eastern France is often more like Swiss than French and they’ve at least civilised their old Arab style kases long ago now.I’ve never had any issues with Europe.Often preferring it in many ways having a nicer mix of terrain and scenery and sometimes culture than much of America.It’s the EU Federal system,which is only going to get bigger,more intrusive and more dictatorial,which is the problem and the elephant in the room here.

dexxy57:

cav551:

fodenway:

Insular? By heck Dexxy, you really are quick to jump to conclusions, aren’t you? My passports over the years have borne the immigration stamps of fourteen countries, all but one of them outside of your beloved EU (the exception being France, in 1971 before we “joined” the club). None of these were on behalf of HM Forces, or an employer, but as a result of my desire to see more of the world. So far, I haven’t been to Australia, New Zealand or Canada, but my next jaunt will be to the latter early next year. I will be able to use the French I learned whilst I’m there, how typically insular of me. Gammon? I like gammon, but if you’re hinting at “can’t educate pork”, then this little piggy went to Grammar School. Just in case you didn’t grasp the meaning of my post, I was merely pointing out that it is always easier to understand and deal with others if you both speak the same language.

This:

France is historically a schizophrenic place veering between good old school Nationalism ( free French and now the FN and Le Pen ) v delusional superiority complex which sees itself as a wannabee ruling power across Europe with whichever allies it can find

could equally validly be said as this:

Britain is historically a schizophrenic place veering between good old school Nationalism v delusional superiority complex which sees itself as a wannabee ruling power across Europe with whichever allies it can find .

Although if this thread is anything to go by the old school Nationalism is far more prevalent on the northern shores of the Channel than the southern.

fodenway:
I was merely pointing out that it is always easier to understand and deal with others if you both speak the same language.

In this case also the same culture and effectively the same base nationality/ethnicity.See the film The Cattle Carters which I posted in that regard.Seperating us from our old colonies is all part of the agenda of this Kraut led scam to take over Europe and to do to us what it couldn’t do in 1940.Divide and rule taking on new meaning in this case.

Spardo:
This:

France is historically a schizophrenic place veering between good old school Nationalism ( free French and now the FN and Le Pen ) v delusional superiority complex which sees itself as a wannabee ruling power across Europe with whichever allies it can find

Britain is historically a schizophrenic place veering between good old school Nationalism v delusional superiority complex which sees itself as a wannabee ruling power across Europe with whichever allies it can find .

Although if this thread is anything to go by the old school Nationalism is far more prevalent on the northern shores of the Channel than the southern.

Firstly I was referring to ‘‘old school Nationalism’’ as being a good thing.You know every European Nation state free to decide their own individual respective destiny,free of foreign Federal dictatorship of whatever sort.As opposed to your obvious support of every stinking European takeover attempt from the Romans to Tito’s failed project and now the EUSSR/4th Reich.

While taking out Napoleon,the Austro Hungarian Empire and liberating the place from Hitler ( and Petain’s French rabble ) and holding Stalin at bay isn’t exactly the actions of a wannabee ruling power across Europe.As opposed to those enemies’ plans for it.

fodenway:

dexxy57:

cav551:

fodenway:

Insular? By heck Dexxy, you really are quick to jump to conclusions, aren’t you? My passports over the years have borne the immigration stamps of fourteen countries, all but one of them outside of your beloved EU (the exception being France, in 1971 before we “joined” the club). None of these were on behalf of HM Forces, or an employer, but as a result of my desire to see more of the world. So far, I haven’t been to Australia, New Zealand or Canada, but my next jaunt will be to the latter early next year. I will be able to use the French I learned whilst I’m there, how typically insular of me. Gammon? I like gammon, but if you’re hinting at “can’t educate pork”, then this little piggy went to Grammar School. Just in case you didn’t grasp the meaning of my post, I was merely pointing out that it is always easier to understand and deal with others if you both speak the same language.

Done a fair bit of foreign travel myself, roughly the same number of places as you, and I’ll happily admit it’s always good to come back to this country. Wouldn’t want to live anywhere else. ‘My Beloved EU’? By heck Fodenway you really are quick to jump to conclusions. I never said I loved it, never even suggested it was perfect.

It’s a common theme on here that you’re either ‘for’ or ‘against’ the EU. I’m for it I suppose, while admitting it has problems. I don’t think that makes me a ‘stinking federalist’ (to quote our resident ranting mess). It just makes me one of the 48% that voted Remain.
Currently we are in it. We voted to leave, and how we have managed to get to where we are, three years after the vote, shows how massive an issue the EU is.

Can the UK thrive and prosper if we leave with no deal? Well, yes, it can. We only have to read todays papers for confirmation. . . (quote Boris at the G7 Summit) “I think we can get through this, this is a great, great country, the UK, we can easily cope with a no-deal scenario.” He conveniently leaves out details of HOW we’d cope, and comes up short with any detailed plans, but no matter, all we need is a leader reassuring us that this is a ‘great, great country’. Who does that remind me of?

I got your point about the language by the way. Bloody cheek of these foreigners not adopting English.

dexxy57:
Done a fair bit of foreign travel myself, roughly the same number of places as you, and I’ll happily admit it’s always good to come back to this country. Wouldn’t want to live anywhere else. ‘My Beloved EU’? By heck Fodenway you really are quick to jump to conclusions. I never said I loved it, never even suggested it was perfect.

It’s a common theme on here that you’re either ‘for’ or ‘against’ the EU. I’m for it I suppose, while admitting it has problems. I don’t think that makes me a ‘stinking federalist’ (to quote our resident ranting mess). It just makes me one of the 48% that voted Remain.
Currently we are in it. We voted to leave, and how we have managed to get to where we are, three years after the vote, shows how massive an issue the EU is.

Can the UK thrive and prosper if we leave with no deal? Well, yes, it can. We only have to read todays papers for confirmation. . . (quote Boris at the G7 Summit) “I think we can get through this, this is a great, great country, the UK, we can easily cope with a no-deal scenario.” He conveniently leaves out details of HOW we’d cope, and comes up short with any detailed plans, but no matter, all we need is a leader reassuring us that this is a ‘great, great country’. Who does that remind me of?

I got your point about the language by the way. Bloody cheek of these foreigners not adopting English.

Yes you’re one of 48% that voted to remain a part of a stinking Federal Europe subject to the even more stinking Lisbon Treaty.

So you admit it’s got ‘problems’.But obviously not enough ‘problems’ for you to say that you’d prefer a Confederal Europe run on individual Nation State lines.Each with the individual right of opt out and substitution and not subject to at worse a Politburo dictatorship or at best a gerrymandered foreign vote imposed across National borders.While assuming you do believe in that then it’s obvious that everyone has to secede from the present Federal mess,before we can rebuild it along the lines of the civilised Confederal arrangement of consenting sovereign Nation States which Europe was always mean’t to be.

Time to put up or shut up as to whether you’re a Federalist or not in that regard. So which is it ?. I won’t hold my breath waiting for an answer.

As for ‘getting through this’ how can we possibly be in an any worse state than allowing a foreign power and foreign mandate to run our country.For the privilege of a massive trade deficit and net contribution.Oh wait you’re obviously on the side of that foreign power not this country.

Carryfast:

Spardo:
This:

Firstly I was referring to ‘‘old school Nationalism’’ as being a good thing.You know every European Nation state free to decide their own individual respective destiny,free of foreign Federal dictatorship of whatever sort.As opposed to your obvious support of every stinking European takeover attempt from the Romans to Tito’s failed project and now the EUSSR/4th Reich.

While taking out Napoleon,the Austro Hungarian Empire and liberating the place from Hitler ( and Petain’s French rabble ) and holding Stalin at bay isn’t exactly the actions of a wannabee ruling power across Europe.As opposed to those enemies’ plans for it.

We now live in a world where one country’s actions affects many others. The simple nationalism of earlier days is long gone. Acting in isolation is foolish.

Carryfast:

dexxy57:

Yes you’re one of 48% that voted to remain a part of a stinking Federal Europe subject to the even more stinking Lisbon Treaty.

So you admit it’s got ‘problems’.But obviously not enough ‘problems’ for you to say that you’d prefer a Confederal Europe run on individual Nation State lines.Each with the individual right of opt out and substitution and not subject to at worse a Politburo dictatorship or at best a gerrymandered foreign vote imposed across National borders.While assuming you do believe in that then it’s obvious that everyone has to secede from the present Federal mess,before we can rebuild it along the lines of the civilised Confederal arrangement of consenting sovereign Nation States which Europe was always mean’t to be.

Time to put up or shut up as to whether you’re a Federalist or not in that regard. So which is it ?. I won’t hold my breath waiting for an answer.

As for ‘getting through this’ how can we possibly be in an any worse state than allowing a foreign power and foreign mandate to run our country.For the privilege of a massive trade deficit and net contribution.Oh wait you’re obviously on the side of that foreign power not this country.

When I voted back in 2016 I honestly didn’t think the EU was as bad as UKIP and their knuckle-dragging supporters said it was. It didn’t seem to me to be the monster it was being portrayed as. It certainly never entered my head that I was a ‘stinking Federalist’.
It’s been argued over and over that people didn’t know what they were voting for. That’s generalising too much, but I, for one, definitely know more about it now.
What can’t be argued about, however, is that the Tories have made a monumental mess of the whole thing. Corbyn and his cronies wouldn’t have done any better. The whole thing is just too big for any of them.

Yes, the EU has problems, that’s hardly a secret.
Now, get the nurse to bring you your meds and have a lie down. You’ll feel better.

Franglais:
:

We now live in a world where one country’s actions affects many others. The simple nationalism of earlier days is long gone. Acting in isolation is foolish.

The leaders of the US and Brazil might just disagree with you there Franglais.

dexxy57:

Franglais:
:

The leaders of the US and Brazil might just disagree with you there Franglais.

True Dexxy, but this bit

Acting in isolation is foolish.

is certainly true. :wink: :slight_smile: