European Referendum

There is a lot of interest at the moment about the Scottish referendum so while the British Government has allowed Scotland to vote on there destiny, while they are in the mood for such democratic decisions why not let all of us vote on staying or leaving the European Union. For most of my life in transport I have done International work within these countries and would vote to leave given the chance. We are no longer in control of our laws and regulations being instructed from Brussels Etc, this I find very frustrating as we always in this country do every thing to the letter of the law and to which our counterparts seem immune. Having gone through buying permits to even be able to do the work in the first place, a regulation that disappeared overnight one had to put up with all the other regulations put in force such as not running on Sundays and holidays yet they are allowed free grace to run at any time in our land with out tolls (except certain bridges) This is supposed to be a level playing field but I fear it is not. When I first started the traffic leaving our shores bound for the continent was about 50/50 British and foreign trucks, today we are still doing the job but the split means only about 15% goes by UK trucks, there are also lots of French operators based here doing domestic work which has all been taken from us and we let it happen, go to France and see how many hoops you have to jump through to set up there, with there unions you got little chance of success.
I have rambled on enough so lets see what you have to say Gentlemen, should stir old CF this one. Buzzer

Well said there “Buzzer” it’s about time we English thought about ourselves for a change and maybe,just maybe,the ■■■■■■■ in westminster are waking up the fact that we have had enough of their BS and weasel words and the sooner we are given our own referendum on leaving the EU the better.With all this Scots debacle causing “tremors” within the ruling political class they may now realise that time is fast running out and they will get a good kicking in the up coming general election next year,bring it on I say,I can’t wait as we’ll never have a better oppertunity if Scotland bails out.E-N-G-E-R-L-A-N-D for the English and we’ll look after our own affairs thank you very much ! :wink: Cheers Bewick.

Two options only and no half arsed blurring / rewritting of the rules and “renegotiation” to find a third option.

Option 1…Stay in the EU and embrace further “integration” :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: (IN)

Option 2… Withdraw totally from EU. (OUT)

OUT!

The promise of an eventual referendum on EU membership will probably br revoked if Scotland leaves the UK. The politicians will be so involved in negotiations about separation that Europe will be put on the back burner. There could be a general election by the end of this year if Scotland votes “YES”.

We have benefited a lot from Europe as far as the working classes go,i.e. minimum wage,safety at work,shorter working hours,pension plans and soon hopefully massive increases in basic pensions,all of which our politicians try to take credit for.Also to try to leave Europe will cause a fiasco like in Ireland where we cannot leave the e.u. as Scotland will not be allowed to leave the United Kingdom,mark my word,s. :unamused: :confused: :open_mouth: :slight_smile: