ERF LV range & various cab updates

Thank you ERF for the explanation and picures. Are these the same LV number? The top grille mesh slots are different.

ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p3299728 … #h3dd0d49e

ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p3299728 … #h4917e55e

cav551:
Thank you ERF for the explanation and picures. Are these the same LV number? The top grille mesh slots are different.

ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p3299728 … #h3dd0d49e

ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p3299728 … #h4917e55e

You are welcome.

No, these are different cabs.
The 1966 D’ reg unit should have a 4LV cab with the 3 slots in the top grille, but has been re-cabbed at some point with a 6LV - you can see it’s got the later dashboard through the windscreen.

The 1967 E’ reg unit has it’s correct 4LV cab but featuring the larger top grille air intakes that I mentioned above were fitted to the later variants of the 3 and 4LV.

Just to clarify the top grilles for cav551…

The first vented ‘3 slot’ top grille was fitted to early 3 & 4LV cabs…

Later 3 & 4LV cabs got larger rectangular holes for additional cooling, the ends of the lower grille were also squared off to match, with additional slots opened up in the bottom panel…

Then the 5 & 6LV had even larger rectangular holes for even more cooling capacity…

Great photos ERF they all show a centre towing pin,but as I said in my earlier post we ran some E 1967 reg with one each side of the lower panel bolted to the chassis rails,or has my memory failed me.I’ll try to dig some photos out and persuade one of my lads to put one on.

Thanks once again ERF for the clarification which will help in identifying a fleet line up picture.

One other query has just occurred to me please: did 7LV cabs having a bustle to cover the rear cylinders of an 8 potter chassis have a type number suffix?

Singo55:
Great photos ERF they all show a centre towing pin,but as I said in my earlier post we ran some E 1967 reg with one each side of the lower panel bolted to the chassis rails,or has my memory failed me.I’ll try to dig some photos out and persuade one of my lads to put one on.

The two flat towing eye brackets either side of the lower front panel were used when a ■■■■■■■ engine was fitted. The round jaw was used with Gardners, and the optional starting handle passed through the middle of it!.

cav551:
Thanks once again ERF for the clarification which will help in identifying a fleet line up picture.

One other query has just occurred to me please: did 7LV cabs having a bustle to cover the rear cylinders of an 8 potter chassis have a type number suffix?

The 7LV cab used on an 8LXB equipped A’ Series didn’t have a significantly larger bustle to cover the rear of the engine, not from the factory anyway. I have seen some, but they have always been homemade creations. To be honest most of the engine is covered, but the very rear of the engine was originally exposed to the elements, something the starter motor doesn’t like at all!. The rear of the engine was exposed to a lesser extent, even in the B’ Series day cab units with an 8LXB.

ERF:

Singo55:

The two flat towing eye brackets either side of the lower front panel were used when a ■■■■■■■ engine was fitted. The round jaw was used with Gardners, and the optional starting handle passed through the middle of it!.

Cheers ERF I didn’t think I had imagined it ours had the ■■■■■■■ fitted maybe they thought they wouldn’t need a tow!!

ERF:
The 7LV cab used on an 8LXB equipped A’ Series didn’t have a significantly larger bustle to cover the rear of the engine, not from the factory anyway. I have seen some, but they have always been homemade creations. To be honest most of the engine is covered, but the very rear of the engine was originally exposed to the elements, something the starter motor doesn’t like at all!. The rear of the engine was exposed to a lesser extent, even in the B’ Series day cab units with an 8LXB.

Our Gardner 180 engined Fodens had a cowl covering the rear of the engine but we removed them to help with engine cooling, and yes, the starter motors did suffer but at least they were easier to access! :wink:

Pete.

Singo55:

ERF:

Singo55:

Cheers ERF I didn’t think I had imagined it ours had the ■■■■■■■ fitted maybe they thought they wouldn’t need a tow!!

More confusion with the LVs: Castrol ■■■■■■■ powered, Henley Gardner powered: is this something to do with the K and L reg period?

IMG_20190707_194427.jpg

I saw an ERF Chinese 6 on the M62 today . It was on the back of a Volvo low loader from a plant hire firm in Bury. The ERF was in the colours of Paul Cooper ( i think ) from Bury St Edmunds .

ramone:
I saw an ERF Chinese 6 on the M62 today . It was on the back of a Volvo low loader from a plant hire firm in Bury. The ERF was in the colours of Paul Cooper ( i think ) from Bury St Edmunds .

THIS ONE

Ex-Killingbeck Transport from Blackburn. Another of Dr John’s tinkerings…