ERF LHD 5MW (European)

robert1952:
It’s dated 1972 so it has to be a 3MW (hasn’t it?). robert

Hiya if the lorry has an 8lxb engine it could be the Cadwallader lorry before it went rhd.

robert1952:

The text mentions improvements to the interior. The Earls Court Show was in September; the 5MW was trundling down the line at Sandbach in January. They would show their new models at Earls Court, surely?

[zb]
anorak:

robert1952:

The text mentions improvements to the interior. The Earls Court Show was in September; the 5MW was trundling down the line at Sandbach in January. They would show their new models at Earls Court, surely?

Good point. And in support of your point I would remind us that 18th Jan '73 was the first dispatch date, not the first build date. :smiley: Robert

hiya…that interior shot on the last page…the bonnet and sides are sprayed with a spatter finish(sort of rough and lumpy)paint.
the new fangle interior the bonnet and sides was covered in the same cloth (ambler) (artificial leather)as the seats,
thats all
John

Here is an interesting picture of Jerry Cooke working on LHD 5MW - Trans Arabia No. 104 - in a street in Jeddah. Robert :slight_smile:

robert1952:
Here is an interesting picture of Jerry Cooke working on LHD 5MW - Trans Arabia No. 104 - in a street in Jeddah. Robert :slight_smile:

Ah - young Mr Cooke - what’s that you have in hand? Another piece of an ERF fallen off!!■■
Fleet 104. ERF 5mw. Driven by Stan Brindly(RIP). One of the 3 S Jones overland trip vehicle to Qatar I Think?
This is where the Trans Arabia story began

Picture outside Villa Trans Arabia - the original garage!!!

Ken Broster

Kenb:

robert1952:

Ah - young Mr Cooke - what’s that you have in hand? Another piece of an ERF fallen off!!■■
Fleet 104. ERF 5mw. Driven by Stan Brindly(RIP). One of the 3 S Jones overland trip vehicle to Qatar I Think?
This is where the Trans Arabia story began

Picture outside Villa Trans Arabia - the original garage!!!

Ken Broster

Thanks for filling out the story for us there Ken! I took the pic from an article I’ve just posted on the ERF ‘European’ 1975 thread. Cheers! Robert

Another contribution from ‘Ronhawk’ on the Trans Arabia thread. Robert

TA 104 in Saudi.jpg

Some more of Benkku’s wizardry! Robert :smiley:

EPSON425.JPG

Just for you Robert a advert from Truck magazine 1975 !

DEANB:
Just for you Robert a advert from Truck magazine 1975 !

Thank you for this, DEANB. I have that advert but now you have revealed the copy of the mag it was printed in. Thanks! Robert :smiley:

Hiya did the Smallwood rally this weekend…the REV,s van was their . i bumped into Cookie the ex A S Jones
spanner man we had a good chat, i also know now the B series that i ve seen many times belongs him.
Robert its a pity you was not at the show, been near Sandbach their was a few ex ERF workers their.
i was talking with one of the ex field engineers and one of the EX Development manager,s .
John

3300John:
Hiya did the Smallwood rally this weekend…the REV,s van was their . i bumped into Cookie the ex A S Jones
spanner man we had a good chat, i also know now the B series that i ve seen many times belongs him.
Robert its a pity you was not at the show, been near Sandbach their was a few ex ERF workers their.
i was talking with one of the ex field engineers and one of the EX Development manager,s .
John

Will I see you at Gaydon, John? Or Kelsall? Robert

Next weeks cm is a erf middle east special :wink:

def

Brilliant! A very thorough and very useful document. Thank you A-J for sharing this. I do hope ERF historians among the bloggers on here will take a few minutes to see if they can add details of a gearbox here, an engine there; perhaps clarify that a unit has a 3MW or 5MW cab - or add any details they can. Cheers! Robert :smiley:

On the 3MW- and 5MW-register…CDB assembled 25 chassis (out of CKD-packages) and we now
know of 15 continental-chassis. Some to search…

Remarkable is that no Dutch chassis are known (by me) but please report when you know of one
or even more. ERF was represented in Holland since 1954 in Rotterdam, but that company also
represented Guy and Trojan. There must have been customers for ERF though?

RRP 86R has made a bid for freedom from Rush Green…

flickr.com/photos/106927028@N03/18345246734

With a donor lorry to provide the missing mechanical items, and a spare 5MW cab imported from NZ in his shed, it is just possible she will see the road again with this owner. I very much doubt she will emerge with a Rolls 220 this time round, best of luck to the brave man tackling her.

ERF:
RRP 86R has made a bid for freedom from Rush Green…

flickr.com/photos/106927028@N03/18345246734

With a donor lorry to provide the missing mechanical items, and a spare 5MW cab imported from NZ in his shed, it is just possible she will see the road again with this owner. I very much doubt she will emerge with a Rolls 220 this time round, best of luck to the brave man tackling her.

I

That’s very exciting news! We’ll watch this space with interest. Hope you are reading this Truckerash and A-J! Robert

WondERFul news!!! And what an effort by even importing a cab from the other end of the world.

Would be nice to follow this restauration-project occassionally and indeed a lot of success wished!