ERF LHD 5MW (European)

def

ERF-Continental:
Perhaps ERF would have be more dedicating towards the range accepted by the majority of operators/drivers
and (as I highlighted often) 'stick to the 5MW design…proceed with it and then introduce the B- (SP)series.

I don’t dislike the 7MW but I assume many had a big laugh and were loyal to the Swedes…Volvo by the way
did quite well by defining F83…F86 …F88…and F89…later F7, F10, F12 and F16…hence ERF perhaps
did better by types towards the sectors available. DAF lost the heavy part of the market, also the tipper-market
by respectively FTF and Ginaf. More evidence on oher sectors though. I still do respect the way ERF handled their
markets…that being said the production/assembly was not easy or the advantages of assembly were not known

Hiya
don’t you think the F88 was a lucky move by Volvo, anything pre F88 by Volvo was n’t worth the time of day.
all those bonneted lowdown day cab rubbish they built. the F88 was one of the can i say wonders of the world to Volvo
no engineer could have visualised what an impact that model would have made on the transport industry.
if only they had stuck a slightly bigger engine in it from the start maybe a 320.

3300John:
ERF was never going to use as many cabs as Scammell…think straight…Scammell government owned…army need heavy duty lorries
who will we buy…not ERF…
plenty of privateers used crusaders so MP would be working flat out to supply one cab companies not someone who had a plastic
cab selling like mad LV or SP…ERF was perhaps just testing the water. after all ERF didn’t know how the sp B series would stand up in
testing until 1974.

It seems that ERF and Scammell were doing exactly the same thing, vis a vis the sheet metal work. The one-piece fluted Crusader roof started about 1972 or '73, just about the time the same panel appeared on the 7MW. The cutting-and-shutting of panels was not unique to Jennings, by the look of it.

[zb]
anorak:

3300John:
ERF was never going to use as many cabs as Scammell…think straight…Scammell government owned…army need heavy duty lorries
who will we buy…not ERF…
plenty of privateers used crusaders so MP would be working flat out to supply one cab companies not someone who had a plastic
cab selling like mad LV or SP…ERF was perhaps just testing the water. after all ERF didn’t know how the sp B series would stand up in
testing until 1974.

It seems that ERF and Scammell were doing exactly the same thing, vis a vis the sheet metal work. The one-piece fluted Crusader roof started about 1972 or '73, just about the time the same panel appeared on the 7MW. The cutting-and-shutting of panels was not unique to Jennings, by the look of it.

i don’t think Scammell did and modifications apart from from one off lorries, the one in the photo was the only 8 wheeler ballast tractor they made it had a Detroit engine i believe, i know it has history…MP supplied their cab ready to fit as Guy Seddon FTF the Haulmaster Foden range…i don’t know who did the S 40 Foden cab modification that was a short door conversion it may have been done at Elworth, below the floor was glass fibre like the 7MW. i also think at least ONE FTF went via Jennings…remember the crane companies used MP cabs if only the floor upwards…MP was a very busy company i don’t know what they trade as now if at all.

@ A-J: sorry, I can’t find which thread you posted references to early ERF activity in Turkey. But never mind! Here is a LHD (VERY rare!) Turkish ‘Sabrina’ from the '60s (posted by Ken Broster on the ERF Beauties thread). Cheers, Robert.

tr erf kv sabrina.jpg

def

For the real collectioneurs…this Autocar 6x4 had a ■■■■■■■ NH220B under the hood and a Spicer 8516-3A
as gearbox. Tandem-axles from Timken type ST DD.

Another of Fryske’s beautiful studies in decaying lorries: a door from Partrick’s LHD 5MW featured earlier on the thread. Robert :slight_smile:

13347548875_bb2216fceb.jpg

Two pages from my January 1973 ERF Maintenance Manual for LV, FV and MW cabbed vehicles. The first one is an MW cab - probably the 3MW and 4MW; definitely not the 7MW which is quite different. I suspect that this manual was a Jan 1973 reprint and isn’t up to date with the forthcoming 5MW and 7MW. Robert :smiley:

Top details and a nice overview of the interior…the engine-cover however is left extra low and less sharp edged

ERF-Continental:
Top details and a nice overview of the interior…the engine-cover however is left extra low and less sharp edged

The big NTC 335 probably required a taller cover, so the drawing may differ from some photographs - just a guess. Robert

robert1952:

ERF-Continental:

The big NTC 335 probably required a taller cover, so the drawing may differ from some photographs - just a guess. Robert

It looks no different to this one:

The drawing most likely refers to the 4MW without the ■■■■■■■ lump, the angle/edges compared to
the mid-dashboardpanel is quite different, specsavers?

ERF-Continental:
The drawing most likely refers to the 4MW without the ■■■■■■■ lump, the angle/edges compared to
the mid-dashboardpanel is quite different, specsavers?

Specsavers! They look exactly the same to me! :laughing: Robert

I suppose I am not the only one over here knowing the NH- and NHK-engines didn’t need maximum height
compared to the NTK-engine and most certainly this manual also discussed Gardners as well. Width/Height
of a ■■■■■■■ engine is oversized usually

Hiya stop falling out. there was no difference in bonnet heights unless it was the Detriot.
it was the bonnet top and sides that changed. on the Black bonnet green dash the angle on the bonnet
was about 6 inches to the bonnet side.
on the later 7/8 lv and MW the bonnet top was wider on the top and the angle going to the bonnet side
was only about 2 inches. this making the bonnet side higher.the bonnet the sides and the engine frame
was all the same this is what i said about weeks ago a black round bonnet and sides was inter changeable
with the hexagon shape bonnet fitted into the green interior cab. standardisation…
the mw padded bonnet and sides was the same product as the 7/8 LV bonnet and sides. there was only one
jig we all hated it you needed to be a contortionist to work on it… today it would be made to turn and swivel
I HOPE.
never said the 7/8 lv was much better to sleep across the bonnet it was wider on the top

John, where should we be and end without your nice experience and curent knowledge! Thank you and a Happy Easter

Look like a Lorry should look, ready for work :smiley: Regards Chris

IMG_0001_NEW_0001.jpg

IMG_0001_NEW.jpg

The first 5MW?

It’s dated 1972 so it has to be a 3MW (hasn’t it?). robert