ERF LHD 5MW (European)

hiya…and Bruv has log books for all those lorries in the yard so RRP will drive again…great stuff even if an engine change occurs.
great news.
John

An advice when the choice of placing the/a RR is not a showstopper…here on the continent
■■■■■■■ was most generous and eager to help out for older engine at no charge, just a way to
have (mouth-to-mouth) advertising. Two of the old Van Steenbergen units (a White WC28PLTD
and a Road Commander) got free delivery of engine and/or parts in both Holland and Belgium.

def

def

Trans Arabia LHD ERF 5MW fleet no. 104 is seen here still bearing its UK number plates before the Saudi ones were fitted. Apparently, the refurbished ex-tilt trailer was still being prepared for the work in Jeddah. Photo kindly provided by the son of one TA’s drivers called Yo-Yo and was recently posted on the Trans Arabia thread by ‘Ronhawk’. Robert

TA104 5MW still on uk plates.jpg

def

ERF-Continental:
Unfortunately for some only in Flemish language, but here a page out of the leaflet.

A really wondERFul designed and built lorry…little was known on the M/E-operation

Leaflet is from 1971…an era in which the ■■■■■■■ NTK-335 was common but soon
NTC-335 became the general type

A good discovery! Robert :smiley:

Hey, you should be ordering in “The Royal Sheperd Neame” at Marine Parade :slight_smile:

Here is a new LHD one for the register: GFH 727N (about 1974). I met an ex-Middle East driver this weekend who showed me a picture of it working on ‘internals’ in Baghdad on its British number plate. It is a normal 4x2 tractive unit. That would make it a Gloucester registration number so it was probably supplied by Richard Read!

Cheers, Robert.

Can you give a translation? No serious, nice publication, it shows that the media were receptive
on the coming of ERF…and the content is crisp and good. I guess it’s about the same picture out
of the series ERF-P gave in colour in the yard of Sun Works

ERF-Continental:
Can you give a translation? No serious, nice publication, it shows that the media were receptive
on the coming of ERF…and the content is crisp and good. I guess it’s about the same picture out
of the series ERF-P gave in colour in the yard of Sun Works

You are right. I do think that the history of these LHD 3MW/5MW ERFs is worth pursuing. They were wonderfully evocative of their time with those beautiful Motor Panels cabs. Aesthetically, they were lovelier than the 7MW-cabbed NGCs I write my book(s) about. I’d drive one tomorrow, given a quarter of a chance! Robert

robert1952:
‘Tranportes Delcon of Leuven, near Brussels, are currently operating a fleet of ten vehicles of which eight are ERF A-series tractive units with MW cabs, fitted with ■■■■■■■ 335 engine for 38-tons gross operation. The vehicles are travelling each week from Brussels to destinations such as Turin, Stockholm, East Berlin, Paris and to other major centres of France, Germany and Holland. The vehicle illustrated covers 2000 miles a week on two trips between Brussels and Turin. The ERF distributor in Belgium, ■■■■■■■ Distributor Belgium SA, is responsible for building these vehicles from knock-down kits in their Brussels factory. CDB also carry out full service facilities for the vehicles sold in Belgium.’

Do you remember when I posted this early in the thread? I transcribed it from a news cutting I found on-line and supplied it with the picture provided. Well, I have now discovered that it featured in a regular column in ERF’s own CHASSIS magazine (of which there were 20, I’m told). The only thing is, I don’t know which issue it appeared in. I know it wasn’t No. 20! Here’s a scan of the page. Robert

8449308133_894ebecb44_m.jpg

When it has been posted I don’t know exactly, but according to this type of chassis the article would have been
published around 1970…so a rough 2/3 of the time-frame “chassis” was published and distributed.

Transport Delsaert had some tippers in their fleet, apologies for the bad quality of the picture.

This 6x4 5MW cabbed had a NHK220 installed, not much is known of both vehicle and operator.

ERF-Delsaert.jpg

e

IMG_NEW.jpg

Perhaps saved/stored too well…recently found this 5MW 6x4…aka the tarsprayers.
There were four of them in the no more existing company-fleet. According to John3300
these chassis had dynair’s installed

ERF-5MW-B-Hydrocar-Flawinne.jpg

ERF-Continental:
Perhaps saved/stored too well…recently found this 5MW 6x4…aka the tarsprayers.
There were four of them in the no more existing company-fleet. According to John3300
these chassis had dynair’s installed

Nice find. I wonder if Dynair fans were fitted to all 5MW-cabbed Euro-spec ERFs. They were certainly fitted to the 7MW-cabbed NGCs: early ones were permanently engaged but later ones were on a thermostat, which made them less noisy in the cab. Robert

At least five are known, the Beresford (on the yard close to the gate) and these Hydrocar’s.

Dynair’s gave better cooling and tarsprayers especially needed that as the speed was quite low
during the operations. The radiator-grille unveils a Dynair

3MW or 5MW? Robert