ERF 'European' (1975)

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

ERF-NGC-European:
Excellent news! :smiley: These details can be entered on the NGC register and nicely fills a few gaps. Particularly useful to have an operator’s name for the orange one.

As you rightly point out, this further emphasises the clear clustering of NGCs around Paris and strongly suggests that MABO played a greater part than previously thought.

I also agree with you that the Transcon might be a new avenue to explore in pursuit of uncovering further NGC evidence.

Good work, old mate! :sunglasses:

Robert

By the way, my original French informant supplied me Gentiluccy’s address as Villeneuve, La Garenne. This is right next door to the address that you have given, so I imagine they had a split site (depot and warehouse perhaps). You can find them on the A86 next to St Denis. Therefore I am entering both addresses on the register as follows:

Transports Gentiluccy Freres,
Gennevilliers / Villeneuve La Garenne (Paris)

Robert

Yes i did mention that the 2 districts were next door to one another in my post chap. There yard was
probably right on the border of the two and some people call it Gennevilliers whilst others call it
Villeneuve La Garenne. It does not really matter but sometimes as you know one word can make all
the difference when finding stuff ! :wink:

Point taken! Yes we can agree on this. Robert

How about this one fellas.

NZ JAMIE:
How about this one fellas.

That’s the blue draw-bar I referred to above. Dean did stick this pic on earlier - thanks for your diligence, Jamie :sunglasses: ! Robert

Number 83 i think on the register ?

The blue draw-bar that NZ JAMIE posted a pic of today has come at a convenient time.

Now have a name and the haulier was a owner driver called Michel Jacquemin and his
company was called Jacquemin Transports of Chalons-sur-Marne,which was later renamed
in 1998 to Chalons-en-Champagne.

The ERF was used on Italy and Greece and the driver Michel died in Ancona waiting for the
ferry to Greece.

DEANB:
Number 83 i think on the register ?

The blue draw-bar that NZ JAMIE posted a pic of today has come at a convenient time.

Now have a name and the haulier was a owner driver called Michel Jacquemin and his
company was called Jacquemin Transports of Chalons-sur-Marne,which was later renamed
in 1998 to Chalons-en-Champagne.

The ERF was used on Italy and Greece and the driver Michel died in Ancona waiting for the
ferry to Greece.

Brilliant! Many thanks for update on this rather elusive drawbar NGC! This is a significant step forward now that we have an operator’s name and location.

All we need now is a French registration number and /or a chassis no!
Robert

Largely thanks to DEANB, a lot of progress has been made with the French NGCs over recent months. Here, extracted from my register, is a summary of the 20 French NGCs now known to us. Robert

Update on the Truckerash model. He has painstakingly crafted that ERF sign with its rectangular surround, which forms a distinctive focal point for the NGC. He’s even picked out the aluminium struts. DEFINITELY worth the effort - he’s done it proud!

Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
Largely thanks to DEANB, a lot of progress has been made with the French NGCs over recent months. Here, extracted from my register, is a summary of the 20 French NGCs now known to us. Robert

I have just had a look through the list and at least 11 of them were sold through MABO,Paris. Some of
the other’s we have no registration numbers for may well have also been supplied by them. I have also
found further evidence to support that MABO definately sold the trucks direct apart from the 3 seperate
adverts i have put on before. This piece appeared in commercial motor magazine on the 10th October
1975 and clearly states that MABO were one of there 3 main European distributors. Its actually a very
intresting bit as it also mentions the private air company we were talking about for flying parts out to
Europe.

Click on page to read.

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

I have just had a look through the list and at least 11 of them were sold through MABO,Paris. Some of
the other’s we have no registration numbers for may well have also been supplied by them. I have also
found further evidence to support that MABO definately sold the trucks direct apart from the 3 seperate
adverts i have put on before. This piece appeared in commercial motor magazine on the 10th October
1975 and clearly states that MABO were one of there 3 main European distributors. Its actually a very
intresting bit as it also mentions the private air company we were talking about for flying parts out to
Europe.

Click on page to read.

Interesting piece! It is on the thread some way back. I think we can infer from the adverts that MABO sold NGCs. We have for long known that they were selling B-series. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
Update on the Truckerash model. He has painstakingly crafted that ERF sign with its rectangular surround, which forms a distinctive focal point for the NGC. He’s even picked out the aluminium struts. DEFINITELY worth the effort - he’s done it proud!

Robert

Ashley is making a lovely job of it chap ! :wink:

Have we had one with a tanker on before ■■ Paul Gee found this one !

Might be a Calor tanker ■■?

DEANB:
Have we had one with a tanker on before ■■ Paul Gee found this one !

Might be a Calor tanker ■■?

LOL you’ve just beaten me to it! Great picture too! Truckerash has just sent me the same pic this morning. :laughing:

Now, I can see at a glance that the NGC is KFH 249P and that Chris Till must have been driving it because that he had that Arabic script put on the door and it was removed very shortly afterwards. I’ve just emailed Chris to get the low-down on those tank containers. I understand that there may be more pics from that source so we need to be vigilant! :sunglasses:

Cheers, Robert

Just had it confirmed that Eric Vick definately did do North Africa and Russia.

DEANB:
Just had it confirmed that Eric Vick definately did do North Africa and Russia.

My informants (ex-drivers and fitters) tell me they don’t remember NGCs doing North Africa. Nonetheless we should keep our eyes peeled - and meanwhile I am revisiting some Vijore contacts for further details. :wink:

With regard to today’s picture, looking at those tyres stacked against the container, it could be that they ran those two tanks out to Baghdad to serve as standing fuel tanks. I’m sure we’ll find out! Robert

OK. Re^^^^ I have now been informed that the tank-containers were loaded with aerosol propellant and were bound for Istanbul. We live and learn! Robert

At last! I’ve found out why Eric Vick didn’t send its NGCs to North Africa: apparently the loads were maximum gross weight and the NGCs were too heavy :laughing: . So the B-series did have their uses after all! Marvellous.

Robert :slight_smile:

Bingo! Hit the jackpot this morning! Long-term followers of this thread will know that I have for a long time been searching for the holy grail of an NGC workshop manual, which I’m told (even by former operators) doesn’t appear to have existed.

About three years ago I bought ERF’s workshop manual TSP 39 (1/73) which deals with LV and MW models, but turned out to deal only with pre 7MW-cabbed models (3MW/4MW to be precise) and was therefore not an NGC manual.

It looks like this:

Today I acquired, via ebay, ERF’s workshop manual TSP 35 which deals with A-series and MW models. Sure enough, this is the elusive item for which I have hunted because it includes the 7MW-cabbed NGC.

It looks like this:

I will share some gems from it shortly – it may contain some technical insights that will answer some of our many questions. However, it is an absolute patchwork minefield of spliced information and includes all the chassis that LV and MW cabs went on plus all the equipment any of them ever used! So it’s a needle-in-a-haystack job to find anything. No wonder everyone thought that an NGC workshop manual never existed!

However here in the following post are some highlights to whet the appetite.

Robert

A few items from the workshop manual. Robert

The first one challenges the claim that a certain Swiss NGC had circuit-breakers instead of fuses!

Just been reading through the tilt cab mechanism section. It appears that the elusive 8MW cab tilted. That might mean that it wasn’t used to replace fixed MW cabs as we once speculated. Indeed, it might simply mean that they were replacement ‘loose’ 7MW cabs and nothing more. We know that they were identical in pretty-well every respect. It seems increasingly unlikely that 8MW cabs replaced any of the following: Pountain’s 6MW beast, Loste’s Pacific, Hye’s 5MW or anything other than an NGC with a damaged cab that needed replacing.

Here below is the opening page of the tilting cab section, clearly stating 7MW/8MW. It goes on in detail for several pages and at no time does it state that there is any difference between the 7 and 8MW. I’ve checked with the cab interior documents and parts catalogue etc and they all show the same evidence of the 7MW and 8MW being an identical cab. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
Just been reading through the tilt cab mechanism section. It appears that the elusive 8MW cab tilted. That might mean that it wasn’t used to replace fixed MW cabs as we once speculated. Indeed, it might simply mean that they were replacement ‘loose’ 7MW cabs and nothing more. We know that they were identical in pretty-well every respect. It seems increasingly unlikely that 8MW cabs replaced any of the following: Pountain’s 6MW beast, Loste’s Pacific, Hye’s 5MW or anything other than an NGC with a damaged cab that needed replacing.

Here below is the opening page of the tilting cab section, clearly stating 7MW/8MW. It goes on in detail for several pages and at no time does it state that there is any difference between the 7 and 8MW. I’ve checked with the cab interior documents and parts catalogue etc and they all show the same evidence of the 7MW and 8MW being an identical cab. Robert

Would that still leave the possibility that it could have been used to convert/modify other types using a custom made mounting kit. :bulb: