ERF mw (European) and Foden S90 (universal)

After seeing the 1970s ultimate lorry thread and numerous specifications it got me thinking about these two forgotten gems. To be fair to the two firms the b series and the haulmaster/fleet master were a big leap forward on there predecessors but was there a reason the European and the S90 were never a success.
I know they were built with an eye on the export market but it was the time when scanias and volvos and others were starting to make a mark in Britain. Would they not have been a worthy competitor with a large for the era steel sleeper cab bigger engines etc.
Just wondered if anyone had a knowledge or experince of them.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=83810
ERF European, launched 1973, according to the article in the thread.

hi
i had this n reg 220/10 speed roadranger MW in 1981-1982 . really nice motor to drive, chassis was A series but lengthened, made for a godd ride . Once you had taken the air cleaner housings out of the area under the bed and relocated them on the back of the cab it made for quite a big pair of storage areas for straps and chains etc.
It was comfortable enough with the bostrom seat and it was a good bed, obviously there were no in cab storage boxes so evereything went onto the bed during the day.Sadly when i got her she was well past her prime and would brew fairly regularly with 20 tonnes up , but i used her mostly on mobile homes anyway.
Given time and the money i would have transplanted the 250 ■■■■■■■ out of my written off B series into her , it would have made a really great truck for me.
Wish i still had it,they do seem a rare old beast now.The best of these had a 335 ■■■■■■■ engine / 10 speed roadranger , my dad sprayed one for calor gas around 1973 , it impressed me then and its still the truck that stands out miles above any other for me.

I think these looked really good and were a little bit different. Richard Read and Eric Vick from Gloucester used to have a couple of these on continental work with air-con coolers on the roof, looked really cool (sorry) couldn’t resist that… Post some photo’s later.

I seem to remember when the Erf European came out it blew the opposition away in the Truck magazine Euro Test in terms of journey times,economy and comfort but as you say it never took off in big numbers . Maybe too little too late . Here’ a few from my collection (with credits to the respective posters of course)

Lovely to see these British classics, is it Me or was the world a better place to be with the likes of Beresfords etc still doing european work?

fly sheet:
Lovely to see these British classics, is it Me or was the world a better place to be with the likes of Beresfords etc still doing european work?

Far better place to be than today. Must have been more of an adventure to do continental work in those day’s. More of a cynical, hardened world now. And the trucks looked better…

My Uncle, Phil Dibden drove this ERF MW 6x4 for Bakers Transport of Southampton on heavy haulage work in the UK and Europe.
I always thought it looked well!

There’s an ERF MW (European)parked on Newlyn Harbour at the moment and it looks to be in pretty sound condition.
It’s one of WS & S Stevensons who run trawlers out of the port.
I think i can remember at least two MW’s on the road in their colours which used to run to the continant with fish.

Just doing a bit of trawling but this post wouldn’t be compete without these

zzarbean that Eric Vick shot has to be one of the best.ERF,Eric Vick on door,Glosss.What they doing so far away from home??

zzarbean:
Just doing a bit of trawling but this post wouldn’t be compete without these

Hi, I have always liked these, they were used by Richard Read Transport of Longhope among others. It’s a pity they no longer have any, I don’t know what they were like to drive, maintain or live in, but they always looked good.
CNV00121.JPG

Me.Paul.101:
Hi, I have always liked these, they were used by Richard Read Transport of Longhope among others. It’s a pity they no longer have any, I don’t know what they were like to drive, maintain or live in, but they always looked good.0

Great looking wagons these MW cabs there was similar cab for Fodens as well , there was a firm from Bourton on the Water who had some ,this looks to be a very interesting thread given the variety in this county . regards kk

kingswinford kit:

Me.Paul.101:
Hi, I have always liked these, they were used by Richard Read Transport of Longhope among others. It’s a pity they no longer have any, I don’t know what they were like to drive, maintain or live in, but they always looked good.0

Great looking wagons these MW cabs there was similar cab for Fodens as well , there was a firm from Bourton on the Water who had some ,this looks to be a very interesting thread given the variety in this county . regards kk

Whoops !!! wrong thread thought it was the Gloucestershire one kk