ERF 'European' (1975)

I wonder why Raynor wanted a left-■■■■■■. Did they send lorries over the water? Robert

newerf393.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:
I wonder why Raynor wanted a left-■■■■■■. Did they send lorries over the water? Robert

Maybe the buying criterea went along the lines of available and its engine and driveline combination being perfect for the job,including STGO work ?,with just the downside of left hand drive being acceptable. :bulb:

Carryfast:

ERF-NGC-European:

Maybe the buying criterea went along the lines of available and its engine and driveline combination being perfect for the job,including STGO work ?,with just the downside of left hand drive being acceptable. :bulb:

Yes, that would appear to be the case. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

I would guess the reason they bought that Robert was it would have been good on low loader work
and it had a powerful engine.But the biggest factor was probably the price ? As it was a left ■■■■■■
and would have been pretty tired by the time they bought it there would not have been a huge market
for it as companies doing euro would have probably wanted something a bit newer ! As they would have
been about the forth owner i reckon they would have got it cheap,plus imagine the price of a new motor
with that spec for pulling low loaders.They probably could not believe there luck when they seen it for
sale.

Now the question i would like to know is why did Shamara sell it ■■?

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

I would guess the reason they bought that Robert was it would have been good on low loader work
and it had a powerful engine.But the biggest factor was probably the price ? As it was a left ■■■■■■
and would have been pretty tired by the time they bought it there would not have been a huge market
for it as companies doing euro would have probably wanted something a bit newer ! As they would have
been about the forth owner i reckon they would have got it cheap,plus imagine the price of a new motor
with that spec for pulling low loaders.They probably could not believe there luck when they seen it for
sale.

Now the question i would like to know is why did Shamara sell it ■■?

All makes sense. More or less the same fate as befell GEH 513N, then. Robert

Thoughtfully posted on the Paul Gee thread by ‘Moomooland’ is this very useful article by Peter Davies from the June 2009 issue of Classic & Vintage Commercials. Interesting that Peter refers to the 7MW as a Mark 3 MP cab, re-igniting the Mk 3 vs Mk 4 debate. Robert

Remember the old Motor Panel Cab brochure i emailed you Robert, does that mention if the
7MW was mark 3 ■■

Might be worth looking for Mack’s for the Mentre ERF, as they run some in the 1970s.

MABO also sold some American trucks,i thought it was Mack but found this advert from
a 1974 french magazine. Pamax were the main agent for Mack in France and were located
on the outskirts of Paris.

DEANB:
Remember the old Motor Panel Cab brochure i emailed you Robert, does that mention if the
7MW was mark 3 ■■

It was the first place I looked, Dean, when I found out there were conflicting reports on the cab. The brochure does not, however, make any references to Mk 3 or 4, alas! Robert

DEANB:
Might be worth looking for Mack’s for the Mentre ERF, as they run some in the 1970s.

MABO also sold some American trucks,i thought it was Mack but found this advert from
a 1974 french magazine. Pamax were the main agent for Mack in France and were located
on the outskirts of Paris.

THAT’s a good line of investigation - I’ll get cracking on it! Robert

Found another Mack advert again from 1974 that states like the Pamax one,that Pamax
were the exclusive importers for Mack truck’s in France.

(Both adverts state “Importateur - Distributeur Exclusif”)

Click on advert twice,look near the bottom.

However it would appear from what i have read that MABO did indeed also sell Mack
trucks ■■ Bearing in mind both were situated in the Paris suburbs i assume one must have
been before the other. I would be very surprised if they were selling huge number’s of
Mack’s to keep two dealers busy so close ■■

The first piece mentions that MABO was selling Mack truck’s first then ERF,so maybe that is
when Pamax then became the supplier ■■

Been on the internet re ^^^^^ and drawn blanks all afternoon: ackin’ nannink! :angry:

Robert

Ah! I forgot all about this: I bought a '70s ERF transmissions workshop manual TSP 90 via ebay several months ago and as it includes gearboxes used in the NGC I thought I’d scan the 9-speed Fuller pages for you. Robert

Details of the NGC’s presence on the ERF stand at the 1974 Commercial Vehicle Motor Show have been posted on here before but I’ve just been sent the cover, which I post here so that you can keep an eye open for it. Cheers! Robert

Had the following information from a reliable source.

Number 12 on the register the orange french rigid that i was told was operated by Fleche. It has now
been confirmed by a second source that it was operated by La Fleche Marseillaise who operated from
La Talaudiere which is near St Etienne,department 42. It was operated as a draw bar combination and
was either a 1976 or 1977 model.

Also number 59 Transport Gentilucci,the red draw-bar out fit from Villeneuve-la-Garenne,Paris.

Have been informed that the correct spelling is Gentiluccy and they were from Gennevilliers,Paris.
To be honest these 2 suburbs are next door to one another so we had the right area,however it may
help in research.

Another intresting thing is that we knew they operated Volvo F89’s but have been informed that they
also operated Ford Transcontinentals.Maybe they rated the ■■■■■■■ engine on the ERF that much
that they bought the Ford’s. Also ERF’s european network was rubbish compared to what Ford would have
had in place i would imagine,so that could have been a factor that they never bought the B series ■■?

This however has made me think we should be looking more closely at the Transcontinentals. Now we
know that Gentluccy were operating them,we also know that P.Brame operated two. Therefore with
regard to research,we should keep the Ford’s in mind.

Excellent news! :smiley: These details can be entered on the NGC register and nicely fills a few gaps. Particularly useful to have an operator’s name for the orange one.

As you rightly point out, this further emphasises the clear clustering of NGCs around Paris and strongly suggests that MABO played a greater part than previously thought.

I also agree with you that the Transcon might be a new avenue to explore in pursuit of uncovering further NGC evidence.

Good work, old mate! :sunglasses:

Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
Excellent news! :smiley: These details can be entered on the NGC register and nicely fills a few gaps. Particularly useful to have an operator’s name for the orange one.

As you rightly point out, this further emphasises the clear clustering of NGCs around Paris and strongly suggests that MABO played a greater part than previously thought.

I also agree with you that the Transcon might be a new avenue to explore in pursuit of uncovering further NGC evidence.

Robert

By the way, my original French informant supplied me Gentiluccy’s address as Villeneuve, La Garenne. This is right next door to the address that you have given, so I imagine they had a split site (depot and warehouse perhaps). You can find them on the A86 next to St Denis. Therefore I am entering both addresses on the register as follows:

Transports Gentiluccy Freres,
Gennevilliers / Villeneuve La Garenne (Paris)

Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

Could it also be linked to the contentious factory photo of the rigid v lwb tractor chassis a while ago ?.

Carryfast:

ERF-NGC-European:

Could it also be linked to the contentious factory photo of the rigid v lwb tractor chassis a while ago ?.

Yes indeed, CF, it could; and thank you for reminding me of this. That means we have 7 drawbar outfits on the register: the Gentiluccy one, the orange one, the blue one, and two white ones (all French) plus one Belgian example (Thibaut). It is likely that the chassis/cab picture to which you refer was one of these, but it could be a 7th one all the same. I’ll re-instate the blank No. 85 on the register with this loose chassis/cab item. The only other variable is the breakdown wagon which might have been a drawbar outfit, a stretched unit or even a purpose-built lorry (unlikely!). Cheers, Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

ERF-NGC-European:

Robert

By the way, my original French informant supplied me Gentiluccy’s address as Villeneuve, La Garenne. This is right next door to the address that you have given, so I imagine they had a split site (depot and warehouse perhaps). You can find them on the A86 next to St Denis. Therefore I am entering both addresses on the register as follows:

Transports Gentiluccy Freres,
Gennevilliers / Villeneuve La Garenne (Paris)

Robert

Yes i did mention that the 2 districts were next door to one another in my post chap. There yard was
probably right on the border of the two and some people call it Gennevilliers whilst others call it
Villeneuve La Garenne. It does not really matter but sometimes as you know one word can make all
the difference when finding stuff ! :wink: