ERF 'European' (1975)

I’ve just received some remarkable new pieces of intelligence, with pictures, of 12-97-FB. This NGC is No. 30 on my register and if you remember, it started life with Groonenboom of Ridderkirk (NL) before passing in '77 to Steef Slappendel, who used it on the Middle-East run. It ended up with Trans Arabia bearing the fleet number 139, and it is shown in this picture (below) loaded on a trailer ready to be sent BACK out to Jeddah.

Today, I discovered from my sources that Trans Arabia actually acquired the unit in Jeddah itself and that it was sent (along with a damaged NGC) back to Aldridge to be prepared and re-liveried for its new life in the desert. I have received ‘before & after’ pictures of it outside the paintshop. The ‘before’ pic shows it in yellow livery with Slappendel signwriting. When I can get the pics ‘cleared’ for release I’ll share them on here and use them in Book 3. This clears up the mystery of (a) whether Steef Slappendel really used it on M/E as claimed, and (b) how it fell into the hands of TA! If I can find out more, I will :wink: . Robert

Pic 0003 169.jpg

Another look at the picture shows Slappendel’s livery to be a light fawn colour (with white roof) rather than the yellow I mentioned above.

TA’s acquisition of the unit in Jeddah seems to indicate that Steef’s Middle-East journey might have become a misadventure, as it is not usual practice to sell off assets mid-trip. Anyone know the story there?

Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
I’ve just received some remarkable new pieces of intelligence, with pictures, of 12-97-FB. This NGC is No. 30 on my register and if you remember, it started life with Groonenboom of Ridderkirk (NL) before passing in '77 to Steef Slappendel, who used it on the Middle-East run. It ended up with Trans Arabia bearing the fleet number 139, and it is shown in this picture (below) loaded on a trailer ready to be sent BACK out to Jeddah.

Today, I discovered from my sources that Trans Arabia actually acquired the unit in Jeddah itself and that it was sent (along with a damaged NGC) back to Aldridge to be prepared and re-liveried for its new life in the desert. I have received ‘before & after’ pictures of it outside the paintshop. The ‘before’ pic shows it in yellow livery with Slappendel signwriting. When I can get the pics ‘cleared’ for release I’ll share them on here and use them in Book 3. This clears up the mystery of (a) whether Steef Slappendel really used it on M/E as claimed, and (b) how it fell into the hands of TA! If I can find out more, I will :wink: . Robert

Good news chap, well done ! Lets hope there is more info and photo’s ! :wink:

ERF-NGC-European:

ERF:

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:
Been given a possible name for the blue ERF nothing definate, just a could be ■■

■■■■ Fisher ran C.D.Fisher from Peterborough which is close to Tallington.

TN member ‘ERF’ might be able to help us out with that, as he is very knowledgeable both about ERFs and Peterborough hauliers :wink: . Robert

I know of CD Fisher, but I don’t recall them having the blue NGC.
I have just sent the photo to a man that might know for sure.
I’ll report back with the verdict, if there is one!

Thank you ‘ERF’; much appreciated! Robert :smiley:

It seems this was not CD Fisher’s NGC.
The family have been shown the photo, and knew nothing about it.

Some very knowledgeable people in this neck of the woods have cast their eye over it, and all drew a complete blank unfortunately.

Sorry about that Robert :frowning:

ERF:

ERF-NGC-European:

Some very knowledgeable people in this neck of the woods have cast their eye over it, and all drew a complete blank unfortunately.

[/quote]
Many thanks for that, ERF. I particularly appreciate your research and feedback on that, as I implicitly trust the integrity of your work. :sunglasses: Cheers, Robert

ERF:

ERF-NGC-European:

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:
Been given a possible name for the blue ERF nothing definate, just a could be ■■

■■■■ Fisher ran C.D.Fisher from Peterborough which is close to Tallington.

TN member ‘ERF’ might be able to help us out with that, as he is very knowledgeable both about ERFs and Peterborough hauliers :wink: . Robert

Thats a shame,as i said in my original message it was a just a name mentioned by someone ! The search continues.

A new pic of Cauvas NGC

Have been informed by a British driver that he saw a NGC in Bahrain in 1977.

He has said it was looking a bit rough but was in the ERF factory red/orange colour.

He also noticed that it had a towball each side of the bumper.

I wondered if it was possibly reg JLG 35N that was sent out by ERF with the dumper truck on a
tour of the Middle East. Obviously this is just a observation and i have no proof as unfortunately
there are no photos ■■?

I assume that Trans-Arabia would not have sold any of theres by 1977 ?

newerf818.PNG.jpg

DEANB:

He has said it was looking a bit rough but was in the ERF factory red/orange colour.

I wondered if it was possibly reg JLG 35N that was sent out by ERF with the dumper truck on a
tour of the Middle East. Obviously this is just a observation and i have no proof as unfortunately
there are no photos ■■?

Deffo a snippet to chew on, Dean! Your informant saw it in Bahrain in 1977. Pity he can’t remember more, or didn’t take a pic. Never mind – let’s try and eliminate some possibilities from our enquiries. Firstly, Trans Arabia was just setting up when this unit was sighted so they were assembling their NGCs, not disposing of them. They did send ERFs to the Gulf states on international runs, but I understand that these started in the ‘80s when the NGCs were getting old so they only sent B-series (and US-built trucks) on those trips, so I think we can rule out it being a stray TA unit.

Star Commercials ran ERFs in factory colours in the Gulf but they were B-series.

The only other NGCs that we know of that were on the Gulf itself were the 5 sent out to Falcon Freight in Dubai, which is a fair distance from Bahrain. Kuwait and Bahrain are separate states too but it’s possible, as you suggest, that the demo truck JLG 35N that was sold in Kuwait appeared in Bahrain either as a visitor or even an export from Kuwait. Your correspondent describes it as being orange and weather-beaten so it could indeed have been this unit. He also describes the bumper as having a tow-ball either end which suggests that it may have been deployed on shunting duties. All this points to JLG being a strong contender.

It did cross my mind that this could have been one of Eric Vick’s pair, as they did visit various countries in the Gulf (though I have to say that Bahrain isn’t one that drivers have mentioned to me). The presence of tow-bars would seem to rule out this possibility.

We have to be alert, too, to the possibility that this sighting was of a 5MW as so many times on these forums folk have turned out not to know the difference!

However, there are two exciting possibilities:

1. That it’s an export NGC we didn’t know about.
  2. That it’s a European overlander (an owner-driver living in his wagon) that we didn’t know about.

I think it’s worth opening a tentative, temporary file on this one as No. 86 because it has as much potential as some of our other less certain European entries.

Cheers,

Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:

there are no photos ■■?

Deffo a snippet to chew on, Dean! Your informant saw it in Bahrain in 1977. Pity he can’t remember more, or didn’t take a pic. Never mind – let’s try and eliminate some possibilities from our enquiries. Firstly, Trans Arabia was just setting up when this unit was sighted so they were assembling their NGCs, not disposing of them. They did send ERFs to the Gulf states on international runs, but I understand that these started in the ‘80s when the NGCs were getting old so they only sent B-series (and US-built trucks) on those trips, so I think we can rule out it being a stray TA unit.

Star Commercials ran ERFs in factory colours in the Gulf but they were B-series.

The only other NGCs that we know of that were on the Gulf itself were the 5 sent out to Falcon Freight in Dubai, which is a fair distance from Bahrain. Kuwait and Bahrain are separate states too but it’s possible, as you suggest, that the demo truck JLG 35N that was sold in Kuwait appeared in Bahrain either as a visitor or even an export from Kuwait. Your correspondent describes it as being orange and weather-beaten so it could indeed have been this unit. He also describes the bumper as having a tow-ball either end which suggests that it may have been deployed on shunting duties. All this points to JLG being a strong contender.

It did cross my mind that this could have been one of Eric Vick’s pair, as they did visit various countries in the Gulf (though I have to say that Bahrain isn’t one that drivers have mentioned to me). The presence of tow-bars would seem to rule out this possibility.

We have to be alert, too, to the possibility that this sighting was of a 5MW as so many times on these forums folk have turned out not to know the difference!

Star Commercials were very active pushing vehicles about - any connections to them on this site - The man that would now was Derek Bill Export Sales manager but sadley he’s no longer with us.

However, there are two exciting possibilities:

1. That it’s an export NGC we didn’t know about.
  2. That it’s a European overlander (an owner-driver living in his wagon) that we didn’t know about.

I think it’s worth opening a tentative, temporary file on this one as No. 86 because it has as much potential as some of our other less certain European entries.

Cheers,

Robert

Hello. DCI Robert

Love your threads

Just a few points
S Jones only did 3 runs to Qatar and nowhere else other then Europe and those run were prior to Trans Arabia being even thought about - all 3 trucks came home.

Bahrain was and is an island - the causeway to Saudi opened in the early 80s

Star Commercials were pushing trucks around heavily in the late 70s - any link on this thread to someone from there camp??

The man who would have known was Derek Bill ERF export sales who use to come to ME quite a bit - but sadley he’s no longer with us.

Robert - keep up the good work

Ken

Kenb:
Hello. DCI Robert

Love your threads

Just a few points
S Jones only did 3 runs to Qatar and nowhere else other then Europe and those run were prior to Trans Arabia being even thought about - all 3 trucks came home.

Star Commercials were pushing trucks around heavily in the late 70s - any link on this thread to someone from there camp??

The man who would have known was Derek Bill ERF export sales who use to come to ME quite a bit - but sadley he’s no longer with us.

Ken

Good to hear from you again, Ken! There’s something else you might be able to help with. Here’s a picture of TA 139 on the back of a trailer. It’s just been overhauled at Aldridge and painted in TA colours ready to be sent back out to Jeddah. I recently found out that it’s earlier Dutch owner-driver, called Steef Slappendel did an overland trip with it to the Middle-East and ended up in Jeddah where it was acquired by Trans Arabia. You would have overseen that acquisition so I wonder if you remember why the Dutchman parted with his lorry mid-trip (a breakdown perhaps? Or ran out of funds?). It would be interesting to know. The unit was registered 12-97-FB and was painted a light faun colour with white roof and white grille. TA sent it back to UK to be fitted out for its service with you in Jeddah.

Cheers, Robert.

Pic%200003%20169.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:

Kenb:
Hello. DCI Robert

Love your threads

Just a few points

Ken

Good to hear from you again, Ken! There’s something else you might be able to help with. Here’s a picture of TA 139 on the back of a trailer. It’s just been overhauled at Aldridge and painted in TA colours ready to be sent back out to Jeddah. I recently found out that it’s earlier Dutch owner-driver, called Steef Slappendel did an overland trip with it to the Middle-East and ended up in Jeddah where it was acquired by Trans Arabia. You would have overseen that acquisition so I wonder if you remember why the Dutchman parted with his lorry mid-trip (a breakdown perhaps? Or ran out of funds?). It would be interesting to know. The unit was registered 12-97-FB and was painted a light faun colour with white roof and white grille. TA sent it back to UK to be fitted out for its service with you in Jeddah.

Cheers, Robert.

Hi again

After my time - but I maybe able to find info for you.
Will come back

Ken

Kenb:

ERF-NGC-European:

Kenb:
Hello. DCI Robert

Love your threads

Just a few points

Ken

Cheers, Robert.

Hi again

After my time - but I maybe able to find info for you.
Will come back

Ken

Many thanks! Robert :smiley:

This could be a new one not sure ■■? I dont recognise the colour scheme ? Looks like a D on the door ?

Yellow cab with lower part in black with black bumper. Looks like a white D on a red background on
door. Cant make number plate out at all so dont know which country its from,but think it may be
Dutch and am being told that the logo on the door is possibly Uden.

Will try and find out more.

erfyellowa.PNG

DEANB:
This could be a new one not sure ■■? I dont recognise the colour scheme ? Looks like a D on the door ?

Yellow cab with lower part in black with black bumper. Looks like a white D on a red background on
door. Cant make number plate out at all so dont know which country its from,but think it may be
Dutch and am being told that the logo on the door is possibly Uden.

Will try and find out more.

That’ll be an S on the door - it appears to be the Steef Slappendel unit (referred to in my last post to Ken up the page) complete with Dutch-style plastic visor and black wind-foils on the grille edge. The logo on the door is of the same design. All that’s missing are the words ‘S Slappendel’ on the grille, which must have come later. As soon as I receive clearance to post the pic I already have of this vehicle I will do so at once. What a coincidence that we should receive separate pics of this unit within a single week! One of those drivers may be Steef himself. Robert

I wonder if after Groenenboom sold it another company had it before Slappendel bought it.

I personally dont think that is a S on the door looks much more like a D but am being told that
possibly Uden operated it. Therefore this pic was possibly between Groenenboom and Slappendel ■■?

DEANB:
I wonder if after Groenenboom sold it another company had it before Slappendel bought it.

I personally dont think that is a S on the door looks much more like a D but am being told that
possibly Uden operated it. Therefore this pic was possibly between Groenenboom and Slappendel ■■?

The S is placed in a white disc on a brown square with a line running horizontally through it. The wind-foil on the Marathon grille is masking the place where the letter is. Look at the picture I emailed you of the complete unit and you’ll make sense of it :wink: . By the way Van Uden ran trailers and you may remember the picture of Barend Sjouw’s NGC pulling a Van Uden tilt in Rotterdam docks. It is highly likely that Steef Slappendel, as a fellow O/D did the same so your info is probably correct. I believe he only did one M/E run. Robert

A new one ! :laughing:

As far as i can tell at the moment i think the reg is 7583PP89 . However as per normal its not easy to
read,but you can see enough of it to realise that it is definately a new one !

This particular ERF was fitted out to pull train carriges on trailers with a A frame attachement, rather than
the conventional fifth wheel coupling. You can see the rear has a body on it for tools,wood blocks and
possibly ballast when needed. I would think it is a standard length chassis as per the pics of other trucks
that have the same type of body.

The truck would appear to have been photographed at Sens railway terminal,which is in department
89 Yonne. Intrestingly Robert this is a mere 117 kms / 73 miles from Paris. Therefore yet another truck
supplied by MABO who i think sold the most NGC’s in Europe. You will also notice that number 73 on the
register has a similar number plate 583 or 683. I have spoken to my heavy haulage retired French driver
and he told me he was pretty certain it was Sens as he had loaded from there himself in the past.

The picture was in a Ferdom brochure. At first i thought that this may be a Ferdom truck although
still in its factory red /orange colour. However upon checking the various pics,although Ferdom is on
the trucks i am not sure if they operated there own trucks. Page 2 shows the rear of a Berliet in Black
with Ferdom written on it. However the actual haulier is Transport Marquet,from Mions department 69.

My french contact has informed me that Ferdom were infact a company that was in charge of the haulage
of railway carriges in France at this time.

Another thing i found intresting is that it mentions in the column next to the pic of the ERF that most of
the 4x2 chassis were around 250 bhp and the 6x4 were around the 320 bhp mark. Therefore i wonder if
this one was a 250 bhp engine ■■? (see below,click on page for reading)

The brochure.(Click on pages for clearer picture)

Page 2 shows a Man / Saviem with the same body as the ERF on a normal unit length body.

ferdom.PNG

ferdom1.PNG

ferdom2.PNG

ferdom3.PNG

erfred.PNG

erfred1a.PNG

Transport Marquet from Mions which look like Ferdom,but check the name on the doors. Probably on
contract to Ferdom.

Enquiries are on going,so hopefully we may get some more information.

DEANB:
A new one ! :laughing:

As far as i can tell at the moment i think the reg is 7583PP89 . However as per normal its not easy to
read,but you can see enough of it to realise that it is definately a new one !

This particular ERF was fitted out to pull train carriges on trailers with a A frame attachement, rather than
the conventional fifth wheel coupling. You can see the rear has a body on it for tools,wood blocks and
possibly ballast when needed. I would think it is a standard length chassis as per the pics of other trucks
that have the same type of body.

The truck would appear to have been photographed at Sens railway terminal,which is in department
89 Yonne. Intrestingly Robert this is a mere 117 kms / 73 miles from Paris. Therefore yet another truck
supplied by MABO who i think sold the most NGC’s in Europe. You will also notice that number 73 on the
register has a similar number plate 583 or 683. I have spoken to my heavy haulage retired French driver
and he told me he was pretty certain it was Sens as he had loaded from there himself in the past.

The picture was in a Ferdom brochure. At first i thought that this may be a Ferdom truck although
still in its factory red /orange colour. However upon checking the various pics,although Ferdom is on
the trucks i am not sure if they operated there own trucks. Page 2 shows the rear of a Berliet in Black
with Ferdom written on it. However the actual haulier is Transport Marquet,from Mions department 69.

My french contact has informed me that Ferdom were infact a company that was in charge of the haulage
of railway carriges in France at this time.

Another thing i found intresting is that it mentions in the column next to the pic of the ERF that most of
the 4x2 chassis were around 250 bhp and the 6x4 were around the 320 bhp mark. Therefore i wonder if
this one was a 250 bhp engine ■■? (see below,click on page for reading)

The brochure.(Click on pages for clearer picture)

Page 2 shows a Man / Saviem with the same body as the ERF on a normal unit length body.

Transport Marquet from Mions which look like Ferdom,but check the name on the doors. Probably on
contract to Ferdom.

Enquiries are on going,so hopefully we may get some more information.

'Kinnell! Well discovered that man! No wonder we haven’t found out about it: it probably spent very little time on public roads. I definitely take on board the two points you make about:
a) it being a 250 (apparently) - that would give us a 2nd possible 250-powered NGC
b) it being probably supplied by MABO - the evidence for MABO-supplied NGCs is becoming hard to ignore!

Thanks for posting this stuff, Dean :sunglasses: . It looks as if you’ve found us another NGC - number 87 then!

Cheers, Robert :smiley:

looks like they put a b series rear window in as well

tony