ERF 'European' (1975)

Some other versions…D stands for Dutch, N for Nederlands/Neerlandais/Flemish
and F for Frans/Francais/French, N/F applicable for Belgium.

For Luxemburg (and parts of Germany) there should be a German-language…but
in the country of so many bank-offices, French is very common.

ERF-Continental:
Some other versions…D stands for Dutch, N for Nederlands/Neerlandais/Flemish
and F for Frans/Francais/French, N/F applicable for Belgium.

For Luxemburg (and parts of Germany) there should be a German-language…but
in the country of so many bank-offices, French is very common.

Excellent! Many thanks for posting those :sunglasses: . Robert

The Belgians could have a Gardner, then. Oddly enough, it is quoted at 235 pk DIN, which is only about 232 bhp net. I thought they were more like 250bhp. I guess that was the gross figure.

Some Belgian marques (Auto-Miesse) were applying the Gardner-engine.

Herewith a certificate, 1972

[zb]
anorak:
The Belgians could have a Gardner, then. Oddly enough, it is quoted at 235 pk DIN, which is only about 232 bhp net. I thought they were more like 250bhp. I guess that was the gross figure.

That may just reflect the Dutch system at the time, in which their version of horse-power (PK = paarde kracht from what I remember = horse-power) was calculated differently from our BHP. Robert

[zb]
anorak:

Archives show that no NGCs were fitted with Gardner engines. Robert

There are still one or things that could take us by surprise on the NGC front.

1. There may yet have been an NGC or so sold to operators in European countries further afield than F, CH, NL and B (for example: B-series sold in Greece and later on E-series sold in Spain).
  2. There may still be the odd one lurking in a barn somewhere – there’s been no further news of the one thought to be languishing somewhere in Switzerland, for example.
  3. There may have been one-off examples of NGCs lurking in big fleets where you wouldn’t expect to find them, but were bought to try out – one of the ex-demo tractors for example.
  4. There may have been another batch of NGCs exported to the Gulf that we don’t know about. They were certainly popular there. The Kuwaiti who bought the demo unit JLG 35N may have ordered more (no, I don’t know the name of the Kuwaiti or his company).
  5. Some NGCs might really turn out to have been made with a 250 ■■■■■■■ (highly unlikely IMHO).
  6. It’s possible one might have seen service with a showman on the Continent (at least two LHD B-series units did).
  7. It is likely, I think, that more French ones will come out of the woodwork as they don’t seem to have been as well documented as the Dutch and Belgians ones.

Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

[zb]
anorak:

Plenty of other options, if you wanted an 8LXB under a Motor Panels cab- Seddon, Foden and so on.

Been thinking about the mystery olive green NGC. It was ‘Saviem’ who came up with the info on that one. He quite clearly stated that his notes show evidence of an olive green NGC 420 with a ■■■■■■■ 335, Fuller RTO 9509, 3.03m wheel-base and double sleeper cab, 200,000 kms on the clock and registered in ’77. You can’t get much clearer than that! But was it Prooi’s of Holland (our original guess and No. 81 on my register) or that French green one (No. 73) or both? Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
Been thinking about the mystery olive green NGC. It was ‘Saviem’ who came up with the info on that one. He quite clearly stated that his notes show evidence of an olive green NGC 420 with a ■■■■■■■ 335, Fuller RTO 9509, 3.03m wheel-base and double sleeper cab, 200,000 kms on the clock and registered in ’77. You can’t get much clearer than that! But was it Prooi’s of Holland (our original guess and No. 81 on my register) or that French green one (No. 73) or both? Robert

Definately different trucks chap. Number 73 583ZV75 or 683ZV75 was a 1974 model. The advert was in the
magazine Le Poids Lourd dated 15.12.1974. The french driver who sent me the copy is going to post me
the original advert when he returns from his holiday.

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

Definately different trucks chap. Number 73 583ZV75 or 683ZV75 was a 1974 model. The advert was in the
magazine Le Poids Lourd dated 15.12.1974. The french driver who sent me the copy is going to post me

Thank you for clarifying that! I have restored the Prooi unit, with all its data, to full status at No. 81 on my register, but with the word ‘probably’ before the word Prooi. Clearly, the unit existed in its own right and all we need is its owner; and as A-J believed that Prooi was its probable owner and Rene was able to confirm that Prooi did have a B-series ERF it seems very likely that Prooi was indeed its owner. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

Thank you for clarifying that! I have restored the Prooi unit, with all its data, to full status at No. 81 on my register, but with the word ‘probably’ before the word Prooi. Clearly, the unit existed in its own right and all we need is its owner; and as A-J believed that Prooi was its probable owner and Rene was able to confirm that Prooi did have a B-series ERF it seems very likely that Prooi was indeed its owner. Robert

“all we need is its owner” thats the easy bit then chap ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :sunglasses: ^^^^

ERF-NGC-European:

[zb]
anorak:

They’d all been reserved for Bewick/SoM for retrofitting to Big Js.

Sorry to infect a really sensible thread, but it seemed too good an opportunity to miss! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Retired Old ■■■■:

ERF-NGC-European:

[zb]
anorak:

They’d all been reserved for Bewick/SoM for retrofitting to Big Js.

Sorry to infect a really sensible thread, but it seemed too good an opportunity to miss! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Quite right too! An 8LXB’d be far too good to waste on an ERF European! :laughing:

ERF-NGC-European:
An 8LXB’d be far too good to waste on an ERF European! :laughing:

The Euro road test results would have been interesting. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

ERF-NGC-European:

[zb]
anorak:

Perhaps they were listed in the Belgian and French brochures to attract operators who used Gardners in Automiesse and other European markers’ chassis?

Regarding the power- the subsequently-uploaded spec sheet confirms 250bhp gross, so 235 pk/ps/ch DIN is in the right ball park. LB110s were 256, TR280s were 242 and 266, according to my memory, so that might give the clue to the lack of interest.

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:

[zb]
anorak:

Perhaps they were listed in the Belgian and French brochures to attract operators who used Gardners in Automiesse and other European markers’ chassis?

Regarding the power- the subsequently-uploaded spec sheet confirms 250bhp gross, so 235 pk/ps/ch DIN is in the right ball park. LB110s were 256, TR280s were 242 and 266, according to my memory, so that might give the clue to the lack of interest.

Glancing at those brochures again, it seems that the Gardner was only listed in the original brochures for all countries - E/01E, E/01N, E/01F (and probably E/01D, which I haven’t got). The engine wasn’t listed in the subsequent revised versions in '74 and '75, all of which I posted. Robert

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:

[zb]
anorak:

Hey Anorak, think Berliet gave its hp 's in SAE, de Scania for England was an other engine for the 110 as we had here.
About Britsh engines here, de difference in hp was not only in an other calculation done, but the engine had often an other fuelpump or governer regulation or type. In that time engine and truck specifications were for most countries different.
e.g. Daf’s first 0 680 engine with 165hp sae ( same engine as in England), later called as DO680 with 190hp sae, Bosch pump other inlet manifold, But for Germany it was the DOD 680 with 152 hp din ( Bosch fuelpomp instead of the Original 0.680 pump). AEC did the same with its engines for selling them here. And so did Gardner as well I think, because so many were offered by different builders.

Eric,

Carryfast:

ERF-NGC-European:
An 8LXB’d be far too good to waste on an ERF European! :laughing:

The Euro road test results would have been interesting. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

Wouldn’t they just! :laughing: Robert