Driving to Milan

No need to come down A6 to Mâcon if you’re using Calais. A26 Troyes, A5 Dijon, A31 Bourg en Bresse. If you’re leaving Calais Fri morn can you make 850km only the m-way? May seem a bit much tho? That’ll get you to Cluses. Only a stones throw from tunnel then. Or if you can get out of Calais early, do a 9 drive, 9 off and scoot into Cluses early Saturday. 11 off and just push it thro Sat evening? Job done. . . … almost.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

At this present moment fingers crossed will be leaving Manchester at 11am Thursday so get down to Dover, over and punch on. Rest then crack on. Just worried that if leave later and miss slot for months Blanc Saturday morning if leave after Thursday where I park before hand. Could I go through is it the frueges? Tunnel instead. Sorry to be a pain this is really worrying me. Drove many a time in Europe and to Switzerland, basel and geneva never worried. This is scarring the ■■■■ out of me.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Franglais really can not thankyou enough for the help and advice you have given me. Ps I am more than happy to do ten hour drive. I will have a brand new week to go at so can do reduced rests etc.

I normally use western channel ports and not often Dover Calais. I would I think parking on south bound motorway areas you’d be away from clandestine troubles? Dunno what others would say? If you can make Cluses or Bonneville you’re within a short hop of Milan. Weather forecast looks ok so don’t think any fresh snow forecast. Awkward running times but you’ve some slack to play with. Good quick roads all the way anf some great scenery. Glad if I’ve helped. You’ll be fine.

Both the Blanc and Frejus tunnels have speed radar and safety distance radars, obey all signs, take it steady, fines for drivers if ignore the speed limit, the police get you on the way out the pipe.
Customs normaly at the entrance or exits.
The traffic fumes inside the tunnels can be bad, when driving through, make note of the emergency escape exit doors .
Relax and enjoy the scenery.

Frejus was my favourite simply because the Blanc was shut to lorries for so long I just got used to it. Last went that way in 2010, nearly used the Blanc but opted for Frejus as I heard you need to stop somewhere to get an emissions sticker for the Blanc, sailed through Frejus without any hassle.

GORDON 50:
Frejus was my favourite simply because the Blanc was shut to lorries for so long I just got used to it. Last went that way in 2010, nearly used the Blanc but opted for Frejus as I heard you need to stop somewhere to get an emissions sticker for the Blanc, sailed through Frejus without any hassle.

Yes. There’s an area at Passy just before the ‘ski slope’. Gotta get checked before going up the hill. Very well signed and can’t really miss it. That doubles as holding area in case of snow etc. Leaving Italy area is at Aosta. Forecast is cold but clear this Fri/Sat.

Darrenb:
At this present moment fingers crossed will be leaving Manchester at 11am Thursday so get down to Dover, over and punch on. Rest then crack on. Just worried that if leave later and miss slot for months Blanc Saturday morning if leave after Thursday where I park before hand. Could I go through is it the frueges? Tunnel instead. Sorry to be a pain this is really worrying me. Drove many a time in Europe and to Switzerland, basel and geneva never worried. This is scarring the [zb] out of me.

Don’t worry too much provided you get started when you say you should be ok, I assume when Franglais says Cluses he means just off junction 19 on A40, I believe there is Routier there, it easy to find as the junction a big peage, and you go off to the right hand one to take the slip. I’m sure Franglais will correct me if I’m wrong.

As has been mentioned you have to go through the check point, before heading to the tunnel, but it’s easy to find, after you get back on from Cluses go past Sallanches and then the A40 bends to the left and you take the exit for the services go round and drive through the holding area to the hut at the end, where they’ll give a check slip and if your truck hasn’t got one an emission level sticker for the window.

Then its up to the tunnel and follow it round, through the tunnel and when you come out park up for few minutes and admire the scenery and take picture of your truck with the tunnel in the background, (OK is just me then :blush: :laughing: )

I’m sure you’ll be fine, I had to send a bloke ahead that way once when my truck broke down before we left the UK, he was a proper stress head and could get lost leaving his house and he made it. :smiley:

Where are you going to in Milan? I went to a big exhibition centre there a few years ago.

Yep. I was thinking of the place J19. That’s what ways (maybe still is) the Centre Regional Douanes. Once upon a time had to put the avis-de-passage forms through there.
The staff at the check area aren’t there to find fault and extract fines. Don’t worry. They give Euro sticker for screen so they know how much to charge for tunnel. Euro 6 cheaper than 5 etc.

Photo opportunity just about compulsory I’d say!

Franglais:
Yep. I was thinking of the place J19. That’s what ways (maybe still is) the Centre Regional Douanes. Once upon a time had to put the avis-de-passage forms through there.
The staff at the check area aren’t there to find fault and extract fines. Don’t worry. They give Euro sticker for screen so they know how much to charge for tunnel. Euro 6 cheaper than 5 etc.

I don’t know about the staff not extracting fines, I’ve been fined several caps and t’shirts over the years going through there. :open_mouth: bit of an occupational hazard with race teams. :laughing:

Franglais:
Photo opportunity just about compulsory I’d say!

Phew I’m not the only one. :laughing:

Ad ice please setting off now. Should I get over the water tonight or do a early start and use a ten.

Darrenb:
Ad ice please setting off now. Should I get over the water tonight or do a early start and use a ten.

I always try and get as much done as possible in a situation like this, means you build a buffer in case things go wrong later in the trip.

Anyone point me in direction freuge tunnel opening times please for Saturday

It’s the Frejus tunnel. Head for Chambery and follow your nose. Stop flapping and relax FFS. :slight_smile:

muckles:

Darrenb:
At this present moment fingers crossed will be leaving Manchester at 11am Thursday so get down to Dover, over and punch on. Rest then crack on. Just worried that if leave later and miss slot for months Blanc Saturday morning if leave after Thursday where I park before hand. Could I go through is it the frueges? Tunnel instead. Sorry to be a pain this is really worrying me. Drove many a time in Europe and to Switzerland, basel and geneva never worried. This is scarring the [zb] out of me.

Don’t worry too much provided you get started when you say you should be ok, I assume when Franglais says Cluses he means just off junction 19 on A40, I believe there is Routier there, it easy to find as the junction a big peage, and you go off to the right hand one to take the slip. I’m sure Franglais will correct me if I’m wrong.

As has been mentioned you have to go through the check point, before heading to the tunnel, but it’s easy to find, after you get back on from Cluses go past Sallanches and then the A40 bends to the left and you take the exit for the services go round and drive through the holding area to the hut at the end, where they’ll give a check slip and if your truck hasn’t got one an emission level sticker for the window.

Then its up to the tunnel and follow it round, through the tunnel and when you come out park up for few minutes and admire the scenery and take picture of your truck with the tunnel in the background, (OK is just me then :blush: [emoji38] )

I’m sure you’ll be fine, I had to send a bloke ahead that way once when my truck broke down before we left the UK, he was a proper stress head and could get lost leaving his house and he made it. :smiley:

Where are you going to in Milan? I went to a big exhibition centre there a few years ago.

I’m off to the main exhibition centre in Milan. I’m not that bad at getting lost, normally very good.

bigvern1:
Stop flapping and relax FFS. :slight_smile:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: … best advice ever!! :wink:

Well to let you all know followed Franglais route with no problems. As did not get way till 1pm decided to stay at Ashford. Had nine off and got the 07:35 boat to Calais. Drove for nine and got two hours from the actual mont Blanc tunnel. Had nine off again and decided to go for it. Made the first check Point where your vehicle is registered and they give you a small card with the speed and distances restrictions on it. Up the hill and joined the queue of wagons waiting to go through. Then a strange moment happened. The wagon in front of me started to roll back and kept rolling back, he just got going forward when I think we could have just got a piece of a4 paper between us. So when we stopped again I gave him double the distance and sure enough I was right to as he rolled back further than last time but not enough to fully worry me. On the third time of stopping I gave him the same distance. We had been stopped a couple of minutes when I noticed the wagon behind me flashing his lights. I of course ignored him and sure enough next minute he is banging on my door indicating for me to pull forward. I tried to explain to him what was happening with no joy just more shouting from him. I just wound my window up as he stormed back to his wagon banging all along my curtain. At this point window down and told him where to go.

Now as we get to the pay booths I split from the wagon in front of me and Mr idiot behind me goes behind him. My queue goes quicker and I get to the payment before the wagon that kept rolling back. Sure enough I pay and wait for the barrier to open. While doing so hear a massive bang and yes the wagon had road back and hit Mr angry who was behind me. Laughed all the way through the tunnel.

The view on coming out of the tunnel and on the way to it as you have all said amazing.

Got to the exhibition centre for dinnertime Saturday.

I can not thankyou all for all the help and advice given. Worry what worry.

And now relax. :laughing:

I assume you’ll have some time to kill now or are you just dropping the gear off and heading out?

When I was there I got the local train to Como and went round the lake in one of the boats they use like buses round all the villages on the lake.

Cheap excursion as long as you don’t spend money in the many Designer shops in the area. :laughing:

Alternatively impress your Wife, Girlfriend, Mother, Civil partner, or all of them and buy some expensive designer gear and get a posh carrier bag with Milan on it. :laughing: