Driving a unit only on rigid licence

I called a few recommended instructors for wuotes and all said the same, I can understand why.
I did reaserch and saw that a guy fell into this catigory and took his test in wag an drag only for the examiner to annul the test as he should have been fully articulated. Now this is the Internet research so see it as you will. But definitely had the same info from two schools.

Thanks Denis. I suppose I knew that would be the answer. It seems odd though that the powers that be are saying you just demonstrated you do not meet the required standard,but hey carry on driving the wagon and drag you will be OK!
Regards. John.

old 67:
Thanks Denis. I suppose I knew that would be the answer. It seems odd though that the powers that be are saying you just demonstrated you do not meet the required standard,but hey carry on driving the wagon and drag you will be OK!
Regards. John.

Before you give up - if you post your question on the New Drivers forum (if you can swallow pride!) then several big-name schools are members on there and will definitely know the answer. Some of them have their own test center too. I can well believe that an examiner made a mistake too, as well as some schools having their own opinion about how it should be done.

Personally I’m not completely convinced as the DVSA is not allowed to discriminate, and if a 21 year can pass in a W&D and then drive an artic I think you are allowed to as well!

Drift:
if you have 102 on your c+E you need to take a full articulated vehicle on the test :wink:
I am in that pposition at the moment :wink:

If that’s true that’s more madness which shows that the original HGV definitions were more sensible.It seems obvious that either the EU should have been brought into line with our system,or we should have opted out,or all existing wagon and drag entitlement should have been upgraded to C+E with no restrictions.

As it stands that would mean a totally discredited system of class 1 entitlement.That just adds insult to the injury of a rigid and close coupled trailer pass counting as C+E entitlement while A frame 102 Grandfather rights don’t. :open_mouth: :unamused:

th2013:

old 67:
Regards. John.

Before you give up - if you post your question on the New Drivers forum (if you can swallow pride!) then several big-name schools are members on there and will definitely know the answer. Some of them have their own test center too. I can well believe that an examiner made a mistake too, as well as some schools having their own opinion about how it should be done.

Personally I’m not completely convinced as the DVSA is not allowed to discriminate, and if a 21 year can pass in a W&D and then drive an artic I think you are allowed to as well!

Yes, to me anyway, there is no logic to all this. " So driver, you’ve come along today to demonstrate you ability to drive your wagon and drag, if you do it to the required standard we will issue you with a licence to drive it. In doing so you will also be issued with a licence to drive an artic because we consider both types of vehicle require the same driving skills. Oh sorry, I can’t let you take the test, I have just noticed you have a W&G licence already. Because even if you show, by way of the test, you meet the required standard, we could not issue you with an artic licence because we consider the skills required to drive each type of vehicle are not the same.
Oh, no, hang on that’s not what I said before is it ? Look your getting me all confused now, anyway you’re not getting a test so go away while I have a think about this."
Like I said, no logic to this at all :confused:
Regards. John.

old 67:
Yes, to me anyway, there is no logic to all this. " So driver, you’ve come along today to demonstrate you ability to drive your wagon and drag, if you do it to the required standard we will issue you with a licence to drive it. In doing so you will also be issued with a licence to drive an artic because we consider both types of vehicle require the same driving skills. Oh sorry, I can’t let you take the test, I have just noticed you have a W&G licence already. Because even if you show, by way of the test, you meet the required standard, we could not issue you with an artic licence because we consider the skills required to drive each type of vehicle are not the same.
Oh, no, hang on that’s not what I said before is it ? Look your getting me all confused now, anyway you’re not getting a test so go away while I have a think about this."
Like I said, no logic to this at all :confused:
Regards. John.

:laughing: :laughing:

Or what might have been if they hadn’t have been so over awed by artics.When you’ve sorted out driving this bleedin great class 3 rigid everywhere you’ll then be able to sort out using it to reverse/steer an A frame ( turntable for Bewick :smiling_imp: ) drawbar trailer with it.When you’ve done that we’ll give you a class 1 licence,no need for a test,which will also allow you to drive artics which are only class 2.By the way there is nothing in the rules which says you can’t pull a 40 ft semi trailer with a rigid using a dolly. :bulb: :smiling_imp: :wink: :laughing: