Class C licence & tractor unit

I was recently asked to take one of our tractor units (ie the truck part of an artic) to the garage.

As you may have guessed by the title I only have a Class C license.

My question is does my license cover me to drive the tractor unit when obviously it’s not pulling anything.

To my mind on it’s own it’s a rather short rigid HGV, but my mate claims you have to have the 5th wheel removed to drive it on a Class C.

Who’s correct ■■

I think you can drive the tractor unit on its own without trailer on a class 2 licence. At the last company i worked at there was a young lad with class 2 only who was always running about in the tractor units taking them for services etc etc. I could be wrong but i dont think so.

your mate is correct 5th wheel has to be removed

whitegorrilla:
your mate is correct 5th wheel has to be removed

Well my company must of been braking the law as the fith wheel was never removed & they told me it was ok. I have both class 1 & 2 so never really gave it any thought

This has been discussed countless times on here :laughing: . There is NO requirement to remove the fifth wheel, a solo tractor unit is simply a rigid goods vehicle therefore cat. C allows you to drive it.

mrpj:
This has been discussed countless times on here :laughing: . There is NO requirement to remove the fifth wheel, a solo tractor unit is simply a rigid goods vehicle therefore cat. C allows you to drive it.

thats what i thought

mrpj:

IT SURE HAS :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thanks. Sorry for digging up old arguments :laughing:

Secretelephant:
Thanks. Sorry for digging up old arguments :laughing:

No problem - I had to search a bit to find it :blush: :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

I suppose that would mean I shouldn’t drive my wagon on a class 2 'cause its got a drawbar coupling :wink:
As long as you aint coupled you’re ok.
Simon :smiley:

Maybe we should have some stickies or even a whole section for often asked and wrongly understood “rules” like this one and the “if you extend your driving to 10 hours you must have a 1 hour break before you do the last hour” :laughing: