Tractor unit on class 2 (cat c) license yes or no?

Ok to satisify my curiosity ,is there a definative answer ? Can you drive a solo tractor unit with a class 2 license legally.
Im sure this has probably been done to death on here ,but not seen the question asked recently :wink:

im looking for written evidence not driver hearsay :unamused: :grimacing: please

cheers Mike

Yes you can.

And no you don’t have to disable / remove the 5th wheel.

So long as you do not pull a trailer (there is a 750kg limit that is legally allowable, but not practical) with only a C licence you can legally drive a tractor unit.

If coffeeholic was still around he’d have told you all the ins and outs of this one :wink:

Think about it. You can drive a car with a tow ball, even without a towing licence. Post 1997 test

cheers guys , ok so where has coffeeholic gone then ,Dar ?
i was pretty sure it was legal , my boss said he had spoken to someone at vosa at it was fine :unamused: , he asked me to pick up a tractor unit from a hire company (i only had a cat c at that time ) anyway someone lse weent in the end .

when i did my c+e with pete smythe ,as my curiosity got the better of me and their cpc trainer was there ,i asked him .
guess what the answer was no, not legal unless kingpin locked /removed :unamused: :confused:

so there you, go not knocking pstt at all as there training is excellent , but you have to laugh dont ya :grimacing:

cheers MIKE

Coffeeholic departed lorry driving for pastures new at the beginning of the week. But I remember he used to give the standard answers for this question.

As I remember it…

Is it a vehicle above 7.5t? - Yes. Therefore C not C1

Does it have a trailer attached?

• No. C licence
  • Yes. And above 750kg . CE licence.

There used to be a myth about removing, covering or disabling the 5th wheel to drive it on a C licence. But that one belongs in an RDC waiting area or a DCPC training session :slight_smile:

Can I Drive a Solo Unit on a C Licence? = sticky

On my lasy company in the UK we had a small 7.5 Ford tractor unit for pulling a light show trailer, when hooked up you needed a full class one to drive but when unhooked it could legally be driven on a car licence, once over the 7.5 ton gross for the tractor and you could drive on a class 2 or 3 (whatever they are now), if you removed the fith wheel you could then use a car licence … pointless I know.

Pat Hasler:
On my lasy company in the UK we had a small 7.5 Ford tractor unit for pulling a light show trailer, when hooked up you needed a full class one to drive but when unhooked it could legally be driven on a car licence, once over the 7.5 ton gross for the tractor and you could drive on a class 2 or 3 (whatever they are now), if you removed the fith wheel you could then use a car licence … pointless I know.

You are right Pat - under the old long gone HGV rules anything that had a fifth wheel was considered a HGV class 1 and that included the unit on its own … the UK was the only weird country with this set up !!

ROG:

Pat Hasler:

You are right Pat - under the old long gone HGV rules anything that had a fifth wheel was considered a HGV class 1 and that included the unit on its own … the UK was the only weird country with this set up !!

Not quite Rog as Pat said 7.5t and trailer above the min was class 1. Anything under 7.5t was HGV Class 4

Mikey D:
Ok to satisify my curiosity ,is there a definative answer ? Can you drive a solo tractor unit with a class 2 license legally.
Im sure this has probably been done to death on here ,but not seen the question asked recently :wink:

im looking for written evidence not driver hearsay :unamused: :grimacing: please

cheers Mike

You cant carry very much ( income earning ) cargo on it thou :unamused:

de 2xQ

oh i dont know , could of got the weekly shop from morrisons * :unamused:

(* other food retailers are available)

cheers Mike

Mikey D:
oh i dont know , could of got the weekly shop from morrisons * :unamused:

(* other food retailers are available)

cheers Mike

Yep, but would clause a commotion in amoung the baby motor’s in the Car Park thou :smiling_imp:

Id love to park a tractor unit in parent & toddler space . Wait until some jobworth or moaning minnie comes to remonstrate /complain about you … Then get the pushchair and small child out of the passenger side :wink: :grimacing:

nick2008:

ROG:

Pat Hasler:

Not quite Rog as Pat said 7.5t and trailer above the min was class 1. Anything under 7.5t was HGV Class 4

I thought a Class 4 was for artics where the tractor unit was less than 2 tons??

When I did my DCPC the trainer said that you cant drive unit with a C licence,I told him he was talking ZB.Shows how great the DCPC is,bet some on here cant wait to get theirs.

Mikey D:
Id love to park a tractor unit in parent & toddler space . Wait until some jobworth or moaning minnie comes to remonstrate /complain about you … Then get the pushchair and small child out of the passenger side :wink: :grimacing:

Lol I think I might just give it a go

alamcculloch:
When I did my DCPC the trainer said that you cant drive unit with a C licence,I told him he was talking ZB.

I don’t like jobsworth mr know-it-all type instructors/assessors/trainers etc that think they’re the dogs knackers when really they know [zb]all… :imp:

dar1976:
Coffeeholic departed lorry driving for pastures new at the beginning of the week. But I remember he used to give the standard answers for this question.

As I remember it…

Is it a vehicle above 7.5t? - Yes. Therefore C not C1

Does it have a trailer attached?

• No. C licence
  • Yes. And above 750kg . CE licence.

There used to be a myth about removing, covering or disabling the 5th wheel to drive it on a C licence. But that one belongs in an RDC waiting area or a DCPC training session :slight_smile:

Not quite true, the removal of the 5th wheel was to drive a unit on a car licence rather than a class 2 or 3 depending if it was 2 or 3 axled, and it wasn’t a myth. The law was changed to remove this anomaly I would guess in the 70s, if not then the 80s at the latest. Incidentally during the same period you could drive a psv on a car licence as long as there were less than 8 passengers none of whom were paying.

alamcculloch:
When I did my DCPC the trainer said that you cant drive unit with a C licence,I told him he was talking ZB.Shows how great the DCPC is,bet some on here cant wait to get theirs.

If your trainer is telling you that, I think this says how much notice should be taken of everything else he is telling you. How do these people get these jobs, when clearly they know nothing.

Think Chris eubank = car licence! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: