Driving unit only

Can you legally drive unit only with a C licence??

Yes

Yes,until you attach a trailer it’s a rigid vehicle

optidrive:
Can you legally drive unit only with a C licence??

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=61614

A fiver says someone will say you have to remove the 5th wheel. :sunglasses:

Montmerency:

You use to have to cover it up not now I don’t think

I was told that you cant by a DCPC presenter,I put him right,zb muppet.Your C is for a rigid the +E is for the bendy bit whether a semi or a drag.

alamcculloch:
I was told that you cant by a DCPC presenter

Typical, zb idiot:lol:

Dotty D:

Montmerency:

That was many moons ago for driving it on a car licence, it made it an incomplete motor vehicle like those bus chassis you used to see being driven up the motorway by guys dressed like the Michelin man with a bit of plywood in place of a dash board, haven’t seen one of those for a while now.

You could always drive a unit only on a rigid licence as that’s what it is. You required a Class 3 for a two axle unit or a Class 2 for a three axle one but now as there is no distinction with regards to the licence for a rigid goods vehicle and number of axles then a C is all that’s required.

An artic unit without a trailer is a cat C vehicle, in fact an artic unit with a trailer not over 750 kg MAM is also a cat C vehicle, so yes you can drive it with a cat C licence.

You don’t need a cat C+E licence until you pull a trailer over 750 kg.

Check for yourself here

why does nobody ask if you can
drive a rigid with a drag coupling fitted

hitch:

That’s a great way of looking at it!!!

I like it and it makes sense!! Same thing theoretically (as far as driver licensing is concerned anyway) but an easier explanation.

tachograph:
An artic unit without a trailer is a cat C vehicle, in fact an artic unit with a trailer not over 750 kg MAM is also a cat C vehicle, so yes you can drive it with a cat C licence.

Check for yourself here

If you can find a 750kg trailer to fit it, :wink:

sweeper1gg:

tachograph:

Check for yourself here

If you can find a 750kg trailer to fit it, :wink:

Even if there was such a trailer I’m not sure I’d fancy pulling it with most units, I imagine reversing it could be fun though :smiley:

Dotty D:

Montmerency:

Think it was you had to disable the 5th wheel so by putting a lock on it so it was locked open or closed … they use to run the cab with the 5th wheel in a wooden box strapped on the back as I’m sure you could run it on a car /7.5t ticket as it was classed the same as the bus boys chassis

hitch:

I put that in the sticky post in the legal forum linked to earlier in the thread. Same goes for a car fitted with a towing bracket if you don’t have the B&E. :smiley: :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

Hello Coffeeholic long time no see. Hope your well

Christ! Mickyblue, where you been hiding fella?

mickyblue:
Hello Coffeeholic long time no see. Hope your well

I’m very well thank you, loving life and not missing driving. Hope you are well and things are good?

Coffeeholic:
…like those bus chassis you used to see being driven up the motorway by guys dressed like the Michelin man with a bit of plywood in place of a dash board, haven’t seen one of those for a while now.

Aaaaah, they were my heroes they were! Men of steel.

Do you remember those white Peugeot 504 estates that ploughed up and down the length of the motorway network in convoys, testing Michelin tyres? Men of rubber.