Drivers who won’t take their holidays

As far as I’m aware it’s not illegal to not take any leave that you’re entitled to, however it is illegal for the company to give payment in lieu of holidays except when a worker leaves a company and is owed some holiday.

edit: As has been said, under the “The Working Time (Amendment) Regulations 2007” you’re entitled to 5.6 weeks paid holiday per year.

I take holiday when I need it, family emergencies, moving house, the odd Fri/Mon here or there for the dentist. Ivr still got at lease 8 days left this year, the boss is looking at paying me some, same as last year. Apparently its something to do with how many you’ve taken already and what your current 48hr average is at. I don’t not take holiday so no one uses the truck, it’s not up to me who’s in it whilst I’m not there (although I do wonder why they don’t use the day waggons at the weekend and leave our trampers ones be). I’ve done the whole traveling thing when younger, a week’s holiday without a definite plan of something to do, would just lead to a 5day ■■■■■■ and 2days recovery before back to work. It’s not worth it really

Sent from my S30 using Tapatalk

Stehinch:
I take holiday when I need it, family emergencies, moving house, the odd Fri/Mon here or there for the dentist. Ivr still got at lease 8 days left this year, the boss is looking at paying me some, same as last year. Apparently its something to do with how many you’ve taken already and what your current 48hr average is at. I don’t not take holiday so no one uses the truck, it’s not up to me who’s in it whilst I’m not there (although I do wonder why they don’t use the day waggons at the weekend and leave our trampers ones be). I’ve done the whole traveling thing when younger, a week’s holiday without a definite plan of something to do, would just lead to a 5day ■■■■■■ and 2days recovery before back to work. It’s not worth it really

I’d be away on a long weekend “city break” to use them up.[emoji6]

Madrid/Barcelona/Berlin/Amsterdam/Rome/Krakow/Budapest/Dublin/Belfast/Edinburgh etc etc are beautiful Cities.
Do your 2day ■■■■-Up while there!!![emoji847]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Big Truck:

Stehinch:

Madrid/Barcelona/Berlin/Amsterdam/Rome/Krakow/Budapest/Dublin/Belfast/Edinburgh etc etc are beautiful Cities.

Some amazing cities in Europe, I’m in Turin this week, staying in the centre, can’t believe what a stunning city this is, just don’t hear about it on the travel stuff. And I’m getting a paid to be here and stay in a hotel on the city centre. :open_mouth:
Might have to come back as a tourist though and spend more time here. :smiley:

muckles:

Big Truck:

Stehinch:

Some amazing cities in Europe, I’m in Turin this week, staying in the centre, can’t believe what a stunning city this is, just don’t hear about it on the travel stuff. And I’m getting a paid to be here and stay in a hotel on the city centre. :open_mouth:
Might have to come back as a tourist though and spend more time here. :smiley:

[emoji106][emoji41]

muckles:
It’s not only truck drivers, I’ve worked with people who won’t take holidays because they are either so obsessive about thier job they think the company can’t operate without them or they’re so paranoid that they think something might happen they haven’t been able to be part of and I’m not talking about management but jumped up [zb] that think they run the place. :imp:

Sounds like many drivers attitude who worked at Jack Richards when i was there many years ago. There were several who thought the company would collapse without them and were so far up Anthony and Jacks arse all you could see sometimes were their toe nails. Holidays not taken either as they wanted no one else in their plastic tacky ERF’s…ffs… :unamused:

Where I work we have a few drivers who never take all their holiday allowance even though they won’t let them cash the days in like we used to be able to.
For me ,however, 35 days is nowhere near enough to be honest. I could easily use another 10 or 15 days. Already booked up until late 2019.
It’s one of the things we work for in my humble opinion.

I’ve never heard of it happening for that reason but in some jobs I’ve not taken holiday and taken a lump sum of holiday pay at the end of the year

there was a dude a hanons a while ago was a good worker.
the office got a call from his mum asking if he still worked there and could they let him come home in a couple of months time as he had been out for over 6 month straight with no contact back to home and his sister was arranging to get married…thats what you call a good distance job

dieseldog999:
the office got a call from his mum asking if he still worked there and could they let him come home in a couple of months time as he had been out for over 6 month straight with no contact back to home and his sister was arranging to get married…thats what you call a good distance job

Now that’s dedication to the job and the company :smiley:

Colin_scottish:

dieseldog999:

Now that’s dedication to the job and the company :smiley:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
now thats 5 seasons on the grass and mad for tar… :slight_smile:

about 10 years back when I was a full timer, I was away on holiday when the shiny new truck I was allocated arrived. think my face was a picture when I walked up to it and found the bumper damaged and the n/s wheel trim flattened. The driver hit a wall when he was trying to reverse in a tight service road. :open_mouth:

Carryfast:
Blimey it wasn’t unusual for me to take all of my 4 week entitlement and also take a week or two unpaid too.From memory it then increased to 5 weeks after 10 years service and didn’t ever volunteer to take less than that from that point either. :smiley:

In the same we get 20 days plus bank holidays and I still take another two weeks unpaid

dieseldog999:

I heard about him - he was the shunter :smiley: :smiley:

switchlogic:
I’ve never heard of it happening for that reason but in some jobs I’ve not taken holiday and taken a lump sum of holiday pay at the end of the year

My firm pay any unused holidays week before Xmas some lads save a few days and get paid out to help with cost of Christmas good idea realy

switchlogic:

Yeah I worked at a company before where you had a ‘holiday fund’ which money was taken from each day you had off so as I was practically living there after uni I used to have around £3000 extra a year.

We really try to get ours to take holidays, three montsh before the end of the holiday years, I nudge any that have a couple of weeks left.

We operate a use it or lose it policy, I think if we paid for unused holidays, some of them would never take a break We do let a couple of days roll over if they want to and if someone has a big holiday, you know brothers wedding in Oz type thing planned, then we will a week or two over into the following year.

mrginge:

switchlogic:

Yeah I worked at a company before where you had a ‘holiday fund’ which money was taken from each day you had off so as I was practically living there after uni I used to have around £3000 extra a year.

That’s how ours works get a weekly fund goes in and builds up

when i take a holiday truck is parked on my driveway no one uses it,just spent last week renewing my ADR truck parked on my drv no prob but i do live/work on continent lot more laid back.going TT in june and truck will be on my driveway no prob

Rowley010:
Drivers who don’t use their holidays throughout the year and are quite happy with this and quite happy to lose them just because they don’t want other drivers using the truck. I understand we live in the truck rather than just work in them and when a driver gets in who doesn’t care and leaves it dirty it is annoying. But not taking holidays just to stop the company letting another driver use it…is it just me or does anyone else think that’s a bit sad and these drivers need to get a life away from the job.

I have known many who think the sanctity of their truck is more important than their family life … Idiots :confused:
My truck in particular is kitted out with so much equipment that I worry about someone else using it, luckily I work for a company that recognizes my concerns and nobody else ever uses it, even when I am away for weeks at a time, my recent UK trip kept me off work for 3 weeks and the whole time my truck was parked on my driveway. On an earlier such trip which was also for 3 weeks I had left it in Albany NY terminal, it was not touched and the workshop manager held on to my keys.