Drivers who won’t take their holidays

Slightly different, I worked at a firm that was day work and a driver there never took all of his leave despite much derision from the other drivers. Nice bloke but his answer was, I love my wife but I don’t want to spend all day with her!

sent using smoke signals

Rowley010:
Drivers who don’t use their holidays throughout the year and are quite happy with this and quite happy to lose them just because they don’t want other drivers using the truck. I understand we live in the truck rather than just work in them and when a driver gets in who doesn’t care and leaves it dirty it is annoying. But not taking holidays just to stop the company letting another driver use it…is it just me or does anyone else think that’s a bit sad and these drivers need to get a life away from the job.

May be drivers just talk who don t go to holiday because truck will use someone.But really he simply workaholic or no any hobby and simply happy stay in truck 52 week per years.

I can’t stand lorries. Give me any ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ as long s safe I don’t care.

Guys need to understand that thing is not yours. Drive me nuts when guys spend money on someone’s else property. Such a small haulage company thing.

Plug my stuff in, get all settled, end of shift take that crap out, stick in my bag and here we go, have your lorry back and pay my money.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Bino10:
I can’t stand lorries. Give me any piece of [zb] as long s safe I don’t care.

Guys need to understand that thing is not yours. Drive me nuts when guys spend money on someone’s else property. Such a small haulage company thing.

Plug my stuff in, get all settled, end of shift take that crap out, stick in my bag and here we go, have your lorry back and pay my money.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

You could argue I’m a winner and you’re a loser in life then. I like lorries and quite like driving them. [emoji6]

Rowley010:
.is it just me or does anyone else think that’s a bit sad and these drivers need to get a life away from the job.

They’re throwing away £3,000 a year or more in holiday pay. And yes they do need to get a life.

One thing I’d like to know though is why their employers aren’t forcing them to. Under the Working Time Directive you have to take 20 days a year off, you have no choice and if you don’t book it your employer has to make you take it off. You also cannot sell those 20 days back to the employer.

Sad people who live to work instead of work to live.
Must admit though it is annoying when some Drivers idea of being cleanliness does not meet the same standard of cleanliness you have.
BUT not taking your holiday entitlement for that reason or worrying about damage to a vehicle that is ultimately not yours is stupid and need to get a life

I get 25 days holiday per year and all bank holidays off and frankly it’s still not enough time away from the wagon.
How any one can go a whole year without taking a holiday is beyond me.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

remember a couple of lads who changed there holidays, when they found out, when the new trucks were arriving :blush:

Happens@ our place regular,
no life drivers!!!
(Few have young families too[emoji50])

I’d take 50+ holidays/yr if I got holiday pay for same.[emoji41]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

I thought it was now illegal not to take all your holiday now .I was told you can’t even take extra money and work your holidays
any more .

Just take all your holidays . As you won’t get thought of any better if you don’t.
My grievance with holidays though is I started new job couple years ago get 20 days a year. But was told we shut down over Xmas so you have to use 3 days . So really only getting 17 making 3 weeks and a long weekend . Yes get week off over Xmas new year. But I didn’t ask them to close . Asked of can use my 20 days and have Xmas off unpaid got told no it’s In your contract.

Company I work for has a scheme whereby employees can buy extra holidays. In effect they are allowing staff to take unpaid leave but at the same time putting it all on a formal/planned footing which helps them manage the working time.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Roymondo:
Company I work for has a scheme whereby employees can buy extra holidays. In effect they are allowing staff to take unpaid leave but at the same time putting it all on a formal/planned footing which helps them manage the working time.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

That’s a nice idea! I get 23 days plus bank hols and wouldn’t mind a bit more. We have a decent sick pay scheme apparently but I’d rather not go down that road as we get on well together! When I worked for ■■■■■■■■■ in the past, take a bow Exhell, I battered the sick pay scheme out of revenge…

pierrot 14:
Sammy, if he’s a tramper it’s like a 2nd home. Don’t need bling he just looks after it, he goes on holiday, comes back and finds damage. I’d be a bit peeved too.
Imagine you’ve got a really nice property and you rent it out. At the end of the rental agreement you go and visit the property and it’s been trashed, how would you feel? Yeah the lodgers will lose their deposit probably, but you worked on that property just to see it trashed.!!

That scenario isn’t quite correct in the context of this thread, despite the tramper living in the truck, the truck is the property of the operator or lease company, so the correct analogy would be the lease company or operator would own the nice property, the tramper rents the property (decorates and furnishes it) then sub let’s it to the holiday cover Driver who then causes the damage.

Conor:

Rowley010:
.is it just me or does anyone else think that’s a bit sad and these drivers need to get a life away from the job.

They’re throwing away £3,000 a year or more in holiday pay. And yes they do need to get a life.

One thing I’d like to know though is why their employers aren’t forcing them to. Under the Working Time Directive you have to take 20 days a year off, you have no choice and if you don’t book it your employer has to make you take it off. You also cannot sell those 20 days back to the employer.

I know they operate a use them or lose them policy. So if that’s technically illegal I couldn’t comment unless there is some way round it as my company do everything by the book normally.

Doesn’t affect me as I always use all mine throughout the year and would happily take more if I could. The company can let anyone they like use my unit as it’s not even my unit it’s theirs. If it’s damaged when I get back I’ll report but it’s up to them if they want to fix it, not me (providing the damage doesn’t constitute as a defect that DVSA would show interest in in which case that’s different) If it’s dirty I’ll tell the planners I’m cleaning it with my card in before I go out.

So who cares? Certainly not me. I do keep my unit clean and tidy and like it to be damage free but I’d rather have my holidays than stress about it.

edd1974:
Just take all your holidays . As you won’t get thought of any better if you don’t.
My grievance with holidays though is I started new job couple years ago get 20 days a year. But was told we shut down over Xmas so you have to use 3 days . So really only getting 17 making 3 weeks and a long weekend . Yes get week off over Xmas new year. But I didn’t ask them to close . Asked of can use my 20 days and have Xmas off unpaid got told no it’s In your contract.

Min yearly holidays are 28days Inc public holidays 2.33days/month pro rata.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

I don’t think it’s anything to do with the truck, in every walk of life there are people who are workaholics and have to be told to take there holidays
Is there not some kind of working law that says you have to take them (health and safety thing)

edd1974:

We do the same Xmas shutdown, my customers never asked me if I wanted to close, but if they aren’t there, I haven’t got anything to shift :wink: . Having said that we let people have unpaid holiday.

You could be one of those sad drivers who use their holiday money to pay for bling for the trucks they drive lol

edd1974:

Swings and roundabouts with that one. At some places you’ve got almost zero chance of getting Xmas off and you’ve got to “apply” for it then it’s like a lucky dip as to who they actually authorise it for. Other places like you say just shut down at Xmas and make you use some of your holiday, very rare I think but I have heard of the odd place that does a Xmas shut down, pays you all the way through, and still gives you the full 20 days plus bank holidays!

At least the drivers I’m talking about would happily take time off at a full Xmas shut down because it means they won’t mias anything and means no one will use their truck.