Not being paid for days holiday

Afternoon all.
Had a phone call from my girlfriend sunday morning while I was at work said feel crap keep going dizzy and being sick as she suffers from epilepsy I know its get my ■■■ home time as the last time this happened she had a fit, flew back went to see the “planner” to say im not in tomorrow as girlfriend is ill and im not leaving her till I knew she was ok, if I went in and she had a fit when I was at work I wouldn’t find her till hours later.
The planner said you cant its Christmas, got told tuff im not in shes more important than being here explained why I needed day off he said "no holidays in December its Christmas if you don’t come in your not getting paid ".
So didnt go in and not paid, the its Christmas cop out is all crap coz there was 12 spare drivers sat in the office twiddling thumbs yesterday.

Sorry rant over its been one of those weeks.

Jeff.

Disgraceful. Name and shame.

I’d be keeping an eye out for a new job. Family comes first. End of.

Hi Jeff, a lot of companies operate this kind of thing. Not at work, no pay. Not nice but I don’t think there is anything you can do.

Daytrunker:
Afternoon all.
Had a phone call from my girlfriend sunday morning while I was at work said feel crap keep going dizzy and being sick as she suffers from epilepsy I know its get my ■■■ home time as the last time this happened she had a fit, flew back went to see the “planner” to say im not in tomorrow as girlfriend is ill and im not leaving her till I knew she was ok, if I went in and she had a fit when I was at work I wouldn’t find her till hours later.
The planner said you cant its Christmas, got told tuff im not in shes more important than being here explained why I needed day off he said "no holidays in December its Christmas if you don’t come in your not getting paid ".
So didnt go in and not paid, the its Christmas cop out is all crap coz there was 12 spare drivers sat in the office twiddling thumbs yesterday.

Sorry rant over its been one of those weeks.

Jeff.

I think they are quite within their rights not to let you have time off for 2 reasons.

Firstly there may be a clause or restrictions in the terms & conditions of your contract preventing you from taking leave, as your planner stated. Although you have a right to paid holidays the employer has the final say on when - up to a point.

Second there is a rule that is not legally binding (AFAIK) that suggests that the employee gives a reasonable amount of notice for holiday leave. That notice has been interpreted by some as twice the length of leave being requested. As you wanted the next day off there are not 2 days between your current shift ending and your next planned shift starting. The employer can refuse by giving notice that is at least equal to the holiday being requested.

However I think it is a pretty poor employer not to grant leave in such circumstances. However on the bright side as you have not used up any holiday entitlement for that day you still have a day to look forward to.

When I was on the agency its fair enough no work no pay, been there 14 months first time I have asked for anything like this, he said if it wasnt December I would have been paid great thanks for that.
As for favours what goes around comes around really.

I know asking for the next day off at 2pm is short notice but stuff cant be helped.

As for who it is you only need to know one price when you shop there.

Sounds like “unauthorised absence” to me, despite the apparent urgency of the situation

What you are up against is the ‘professional’ driver who will plead his Granny’s deathbed, or his wife’s going into labour, just to get the day off to go to the races or somesuch.

It’s the same as the guys who plead that they have to get tipped quick 'cos they are running out of hours.

Santa:
What you are up against is the ‘professional’ driver who will plead his Granny’s deathbed, or his wife’s going into labour, just to get the day off to go to the races or somesuch.

It’s the same as the guys who plead that they have to get tipped quick 'cos they are running out of hours.

Yes iv seen blokes do this,well if my wife was in labour or some family member taken ill the delivery would not be even attempted.

Lots of places won’t pay you if you’re not in. Lots of places run a 2 week or so minimum notice for booking holidays at all times of the year so you can’t use holiday pay to cover a day off.

wouldn’t this be classed as compassionate leave?

gov.uk/time-off-for-dependants/your-rights

no right to get paid, that’s up to them, but they can’t stop you having the time off

Told work soon as I got back he did say why didn’t you phone earlier, told him ringing seemed a cop out wanted to see him personally, gave them as much notice as possible, did say its bettrr than ringing in the night if she did have a fit and drop em in it with an hours notice.

But kate comes first and always will, can make hours up next week but that’s not the point

last week my Mrs crashed the car and wrote it off I left work straight away as I was just starting Mrs was okay but then another car hit my car two write offs in half an hour :imp:
my work said they would put it down as unpaid holiday but they have loaned me a van and fuelcard so I can get into work.
Can’t grumble to much. :unamused:

Drift:
last week my Mrs crashed the car and wrote it off I left work straight away as I was just starting Mrs was okay but then another car hit my car two write offs in half an hour :imp:
my work said they would put it down as unpaid holiday but they have loaned me a van and fuelcard so I can get into work.

Blimey. The loss adjusters work quick in your neck of the woods to assess and write off two cars within a week! Took them 6 weeks to decide mine was a write off with fire damage last April.

it’s not a days holiday really is it… protocol has not been followed

coreysboys:

Drift:

Blimey. The loss adjusters work quick in your neck of the woods to assess and write off two cars within a week! Took them 6 weeks to decide mine was a write off with fire damage last April.

I knew they where write off’ at the time and they confirmed in a couple of days only issue now is both insurance companies what to send a cheque grrrrr :laughing:
Work are effectively taking a day out of overtime to cover the days pay but writing it in as unpaid holiday for officialdom to avoid and absent mark :wink:

Drift:

Sorry to hear about the cars Mr Drift least your both ok, sounds like you work for a good company loaning a van to get to work.

Must be they cant do without thier star driver :grimacing:

. Double post - ooops

Look on the bright side, a line has been drawn in the sand and now you know exactly where you stand. If it comes to favour time (and it will) you can with a clear concience tell them to do one. Btw I totally agree with your actions, some things are far more important than a pallet or two of tat.

Well you know modesty and all that :laughing:
thanks, all fine, four cars and a bike written off on one patch of ice, two hours later United utilities are repairing a leak that had been there for months, the insurance have my pictures :wink:

My family always come first… worry about the consequences later, Its swings and roundabouts… worst case you can always get another job!!
How many of you missed your kids growing up because of work etc… I did! and have always regretted it, Now older and wiser and realise that you only get one chance. :wink: