Holidays/holiday pay for 20-21

for those working in normal type truckie jobs,then seeing as your all laid off this past while and also for the foreseeable future,then even if you want to,not want to,or can /cannot afford it,would you say theres a reasonable excuse for your employer to be telling you that once you start back,youve had all this years holidays that you need,and dont think of taking any till xmas as the earliest?
this is probably more applicable to the non plobber/tosco type companies with fewer drivers than the stobarts in the industry.

No
I’d tell to fork himself

In France the Government has said a firm can impose a maximum of a 6 day holiday period on any stood down driver.

Absolutely not especially since you couldn’t do anything, not much of a holiday. Bit like being off sick after an op for example and being told that was also your hols.

Doesn’t currently affect me as still working, but would say many of those drivers forced to be off deserve the break. Do wonder how many wont go back.

this isnt something that is applicable to myself,but there will be some who want to work 24/7 as soon as they can to keep out of debt,plus id imagine there will be some companies teetering on the edge and would prefer not to be paying anything out or having to pay extra for limpers to cover the full time drivers holiday relief.
lots will find the offer of a wage cut,or the co goes bust,poss 4 on and off,or the alternative is the company is about to pull the pin anyway.

I think a fair way to do it would be to pro-rata holiday entitlement. So if you miss a month of work, you lose the equivalent amount of your entitlement, probably 2/3 days.
That way drivers don’t lose a massive chuck of something their entitled to, so might not complain too much, and bosses can save a fair amount of money through accrued working time

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Again, not applicable to me but…

I’d have thought employment law will back you to certainly not loose the holiday. Pretty sure it’s been stated you will continue to accrue holiday whilst furloughed and any 2020 entitlements can be carried over to 2021.
I guess your right though, if the company has sufficient reason to not honour a holiday request it can be declined so if the work is there they may have a case to put a ban on taking leave.

No excuse whatsoever. But I’m sure there will be plenty of chancers at the “non-plobber” end of the employment spectrum who will be doing just this and “requiring” employees to take some of their “furlough” time as Annual Leave. Doubtless the employees concerned will count themselves lucky to still have a job and bend over on demand.

This subject has come up on several forums.
The consensus is that your employer can’t make you take holidays while your furloughed, but if you had any pre existing leave booked you can opt to take it so you receive more money, but to do so you have to come off furlough, take the holiday pay, then be re-furloughed. However there’s no obligation for you to take that paid leave.
It does however ensure that the bottleneck post lockdown of everyone trying to get all the holiday entitlement in. There are also locally agreed arrangements where employers have decided to allow some holiday time to be carried over, especially if there’s a large workforce and have large numbers of people off will effect the business

Doesn’t apply to me as I’m still working but members of staff at our place that have been furloughed can carry it over for 2 years so all good, also last month the company were buying holiday days off f Drivers as they were needed to still work, also the rate was the previous 12 week average.
The staff that have been furloughed are getting 100% pay.
It’s this type of thing that makes me glad I’m PAYE & working for a decent employer

I had a week booked off next next …obviosuly not working at the moment.
Been told if I want I can cancel my weeks leave which I have done.
Our holidays go Jan to Jan.
Have heard/ maybe read that there’s a law change as a one off unused holidays can be carried over to next year.
Only time will tell.

Our lot are not letting working staff cancel prexisting holidays as they are probably worried about a rush of everyone taking holidays at the same time later on in the year. That’s full time employees btw.

There was talk at one point of all employees being able to carry holiday over for two years to alleviate any ‘rush’ to take holidays.

Darkside:
There was talk at one point of all employees being able to carry holiday over for two years to alleviate any ‘rush’ to take holidays.

Dunno mate, you may very well be correct. Being bone idle it’s one of them things that I’ll look at if and when the need arises.

the maoster:

Darkside:

Dunno mate, you may very well be correct. Being bone idle it’s one of them things that I’ll look at if and when the need arises.

I wouldn’t bother I may have dreamt it anyway… :smiley:

peirre:
This subject has come up on several forums.
The consensus is that your employer can’t make you take holidays while your furloughed

Not true. My friend works for a solicitor and has been furloughed and forced to use part of her holiday entitlement.

Some usefull info on the ACAS site including the tempory law allowing you to carry over holiday into the next 2 years if you are isolating

I received an email today inviting me to use any holidays that I’ve accrued, but if I took the holiday(s) I would only receive an additional 20% above what I’m being paid on furlough

The UK Government have updated their Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme guidance to allow a furloughed worker to take holiday whilst on furlough leave and receive normal pay for such time.
As you may be aware, your holiday year runs from 03/2020 for 12 months and usually all accrued holiday must be taken within this timeframe. Any that isn’t taken is forfeit at the end of the year.
I wanted to give you the opportunity to take some or all of your accrued holiday during your furlough leave, which would top up your pay to 100%.
You currently have 1 days’ holiday to take, which represents £***.** per day.

If you chose to take your holiday, you would receive the difference between your holiday pay and your normal furlough pay for each day of holiday you use, which may be a help if you are struggling financially.

For example, if you had 5 days holiday to take at £100 per day, and your normal furlough pay is £80 per day, you would receive £20 per day (which equates to £100 if you took all 5 days).

So if I opted to take the holiday I’d probably be £30-£50 better off but loose £100+ per day compared to taking the holiday later on when back at work

peirre:
I received an email today inviting me to use any holidays that I’ve accrued, but if I took the holiday(s) I would only receive an additional 20% above what I’m being paid on furlough

The UK Government have updated their Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme guidance to allow a furloughed worker to take holiday whilst on furlough leave and receive normal pay for such time.
As you may be aware, your holiday year runs from 03/2020 for 12 months and usually all accrued holiday must be taken within this timeframe. Any that isn’t taken is forfeit at the end of the year.
I wanted to give you the opportunity to take some or all of your accrued holiday during your furlough leave, which would top up your pay to 100%.

If you chose to take your holiday, you would receive the difference between your holiday pay and your normal furlough pay for each day of holiday you use, which may be a help if you are struggling financially.

For example, if you had 5 days holiday to take at £100 per day, and your normal furlough pay is £80 per day, you would receive £20 per day (which equates to £100 if you took all 5 days).

So if I opted to take the holiday I’d probably be £30-£50 better off but loose £100+ per day compared to taking the holiday later on when back at work

Just taking advantage its only costing them 20 quid to pay you your holiday the neck of them, keep your holidays no one can make you take them unless you’re out of the time zone to take them

There’s no way I am taking holiday pay during furlough, even at 80% income I have more than enough money coming in to cover my bills and plenty more in the bank. But I suspect that there are some who are desperate enough to take their offer

Bigtruck3:

peirre:

Just taking advantage its only costing them 20 quid to pay you your holiday the neck of them, keep your holidays no one can make you take them unless you’re out of the time zone to take them

Once again NOT true. A company can make you have holiday whenever it suits them. I have worked at places that shutdown for a week in the summer forcing its workers to use 5 days holiday entitlement because it suits the company. Also christmas shutdown is another example.
If you go onto the ACAS website it states clearly that if you have been furloughed the company can legally ask you to use your holiday.
As I stated before I know of a solicitor doing this to his staff thats how I found out its legal to do.