Drivers nick names--and why

When I worked for bridgewater Transport we had a driver called ‘Harry the Can’,because no matter where he was or what he was doing he always carried a brew can full of hot tea.We never knew how he did it.

A driver on the tippers at Beistys in the 70s was called Coller & Tie,he always wore one to work without fail.

One called Wingnut, he had big sticky out ears
Steptoe, he was always in the rubbish skips every where he delivered
One drop Bob, coz that’s all he ever did in a day

Ray

Tony Taylor:
Remember Jag-Joe,Joe von Nell,Handbag,The Crow,Peter the Plater,Albert the plank,Frozen hands,Mushrooman to mention a small few.The question is how did they get their nicknames

Hello Tony, there must be hundreds of drivers who we have met ovet the years but I bet that we can’t remember all their real names.
As far as I know there were two Jag Joes, the one I remember was from the Blackburn area, he had a Jaguar car which I think he said he had put a diesel engine in and he also used to work for Bradleys of Accrington and I think he was on for Bowkers or Holdens when I last met him in Carrisio. There were also two Joe 90’s but the one I remember looked nothing like the kid off the T.V. and came from the Hull area although Wheel Nut told me that he was from Grimsby.
Handbag was Tony Jefferies from Glossop but he definately wasn’t on the same bus as Billy Butter Bum.
Peter The Plater had a very long tongue and you would often see his signature scribbled with The Plater Plated in The Windmill or The National or on some customs post table while you were waiting for your papers.
I don’t know your Mushroomman but I adopted my username as I used to drive a Scania 112 with a forty foot fridge for Queensland Mushrooms from their farm almost fourteen years ago. As the old M.A.N.'s were always my favourite lorry Mushroom Scania just didn’t sound right.

Regards Steve.

Hi Steve,I was referring to you as mushroomman,I thought it was because they always kept you in the dark and fed you s…t.(only joking) :unamused: :unamused: When we were Metrofreight we had a driver called Dave Mason,but he was so small we called him Metrognome.Joe von Nell also worked for us,his real name was Joe O’ Neil,an Irishman from Moss Side,for some unknown reason he had a fasination for the Germans and he used to insist that I made his wages cheque out to ‘Joe von Nell’.I think he used to cash it in his local pub.He said he could speak German but it was really just gobbledy ■■■■ in a german accent,but he was as hard as nails and a really good worker even if he was a little bit t’ick.Then there was Squeaky Bill whose voice had never broken,John “The happy shopper” Quinlan because he had bought a second hand HAPPY SHOPPER supermarket box van and never took the name off it,and many more.

Who can remember The ■■■■■■ Up Pencil whose initials were D.R. he was very thin and liked a drink.
Frogman Frost a.k.a. The Maggot, he spent twenty two years in the Fleet Air Arm as a navy diver doing a couple of years on helicopters :unamused: .
Keith Brophy a.k.a. The Pope, he used to work every Sunday in the seventies for ten hours at double time and could only get as far as Manchester to Chris’s Cafe at Stokenchurch on the old A40 and tip at High Wycome on the Monday Morning.
Ed The Ball (a strange lad was Edward).
Mudflap.
Wobble Gob.
T Bone Smethurst a.k.a. Big Jim.
Splob Hannam.
Big T.
There must be hundreds of them out there :smiley: .

Regards Steve.

Can remember plenty of nicknames but can’t remember the reasons why! on just one trip to Italy in the late 80,s early 90,s you would more than likely bump into The mayor of Canvey Island or indeed the Mayor of Barking, Super, Sauce bottle shoulders, Dago or The Dago, Woodentop, Look both ways Michael, Boring Billy from Basingstoke, Marmite,Jimmy the Pump,Soap on a rope, Razors, Scuttle,The Bucket,Hurry up Harry,Loosechange & that’s just a few

German Joe eh Tony, he was abit thick alright, he worked for Johnny Howard before us and i can remember John saying do nt give him all his running money dole it out a bit at a time and take his spanners off him he s the only bloke i knew who could put a Volvo piston in arse about face Christ it s got an arrow stamped on it pointing forward but Joe managed to put it in wrong talk about green side up, there was also a driver at Springys called Roy Davis nick name The Ghost he d been there but no one had seen him.

Bewick:
I recall there was a Checker on 44 berth at Tilbury they called “Bungalow”,when I asked why ? “cause he’s got [zb] all upstairs Drive” Cheers Bewick.

A young chap at our place is called exactly the same name for exactly the same reason… :smiley: We have another fella called Richard, who I take great delight in calling ■■■■ - because he is one! :smiley: :smiley:

I’m surprised Steve(Mushroom man) didn’t mention my nickname at dow freight,I was known as" Electric fist"after a fight i had with a german driver when I hit him that fast he thought he was surrounded.and then latterly ,when some of the lads found out I was a Jew they called me "El Yid"but I think the longest nickname i had was Roy the Boy,now its Roy the old man LOL :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Steve also forgot ,from Dow,
The ■■■■… A.K.A John Dowsett
Billy Butter Bum.A.K.A Billy Fuller
Scattercash…A.K.A Dave Cooper.
Jimmy dormouse, A.K.A Jimmy Walker
Hector…A.K/A… Wayne Heathcote
Nellie…A.K.A Dave Shawcross
Mad Mick …A.K.A Mick mcgrath.
Stan Womble.A.K.A Stanley Warmbold.RIP
Smiler.A.K.A Terry Smailes
Angus Macoatup or cowboy.A.K.A jock Macdonald.RIP
Twenty questions A.K.A… John Lockhart
oily Rag A.K.A Phil Vernon.
Big T A.K.A Tony Gibbins.RIP
Dracula A.K.A Brian Hirst.
Petal A.K.A Brian Cobb.
Talking Head A.K.A Brian ■■?
The Maggot A.K.A Lenny Frost.RIP
Terry Smith, Billy Jones and Frank Andrews ,all called scouse for obvous reasons, RIP Frank.

And last but not least… Tailors dummy, which is what we affectionately called Steve Crewe, because he could change an engine and never get dirty, and was always smartly dressed. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

petecud:
Wonder if thats the same Egg on legs that did a few Baghdads around the same time as me, for Percy Brazendale around 80-81? think he was from the Goole area.

Kenny Bowkett (sp?) aka Egg on Legs was from South London,Charlton I think.Did a bit for Lawrabian / Roy Bradford I think. there was a pic of him on here somewhere a few yaers ago. Passed away a few years ago now.

As I mentioned earlier, I got confused, the lad I was thinking of was nicknamed ‘Little legs’, for obvious reasons he started with us at the same time as a lad who was nicknamed ‘The male model’…can’t for the life of me remember their real names. Think they both came from the East Yorkshire/Humberside area.

Minty - Because he always gets in After Eight :smiley:

Steve

Nianiamh off this site is also known as Thrush…Because he’s an irritating ■■■■ :wink:

When I worked for Blue Dart over 40 years ago there was a driver,“I can’t remember his name” we called" blooming heck " because under no circumstances could we get him to swear , He got killed in Shaw Oldham Loading bales when the bale slipped off the hoist.

I worked with a bloke called Heather after tearing a leg off a lorry with a crane fitted…

One driver I worked with was called Dodgy, because whenever there was any work to be done, no one could find him.
Loppylugs,driver with big ears
Another driver was called Grasshopper, after turning a wagon over
Then Grasshopper 2, after doing it again

Ray

Used to work with a guy who was the spit of Ned Flanders from The Simpsons…nicknamed Hi neighbour

Lumpy, a guy who used to run nights for Securicor out of London Colney

Another ex workmate was called Tufty, rumoured to have gone for the snip and got carried away with the razor beforehand, several years later only a little tuft of hair had returned, I cannot confirm or deny if this is true :laughing:

From British International,= Jelly Legs= Peter Stainbridge.
The Poisoned Dwarf,the office lad Peter Taplin.
The Animal,=Stuart Smith.
Porto Pete.
Irish Dave,= Dave Brooker.

There used to be a driver doing Turkey and the commie block years ago,he had the nickname "Kill 'em and eat 'em,He was a bit of a rough kind of bloke.I only met him a few times,and I never knew his real name.I asked him once how he’d got such a name, he replied in a loud gruff voice “COS FIRST I KILLS 'EM,THEN I EATS 'EM”. I didn’t really want to ask him what or who he was referring to and so I left it at that.