Driver Hours feedback

eagerbeaver:
Good effort Muckles. I think it is a good thing for driver’s to help and encourage newbies, as we ALL had to start somewhere.

Thank You, :slight_smile: I’ve always tried to help less experienced drivers, and as you say we all had to start somewhere, but when I started I had an easy to understand reference and it made things a little easier.

eagerbeaver:
One thing I picked up on, and please correct me if I missed it, is the 6 hour WTD thing. I know a lot of newbie’s forget that once you have had a WTD break, the 6 hours then starts again. You can fall foul of this when you do a long shift.

Not sure of the best way to word it though?

I thought this covered it.

• Workers should not work more than 6 consecutive hours without taking a break.

Well, yes it does mate really.

But in reality, it can catch people on multi drop type work out, if they have a reasonably early break.

For example, start at 6 am. Have a break at 9.45 am,(45 mins). If you are doing lots of local work, you probably won’t hit 4 hr 30 mins DRIVING time, but at 4.30 pm you will need to have another 30 mins for WTD.

It’s easy to forget, because in your head, you had a 45 min break earlier.

eagerbeaver:
For example, start at 6 am. Have a break at 9.45 am,(45 mins). If you are doing lots of local work, you probably won’t hit 4 hr 30 mins DRIVING time, but at 4.30 pm you will need to have another 30 mins for WTD.

You’ve been working too hard Beaver! :wink:

Lol! The example was more typical of day’s gone by Beezle (P&H).

But it did catch a few out, including me initially.

Such an incredibly handy tool for a new driver, just to boil down the basics into a format that is not the snorefest of GV262.

Well done!

Thanks for the positive feedback.

I’ve done the main edits and corrections suggested to the word doc and if anybody wants a copy send me a PM with an email address and I’ll send you a copy. How quick this happens will be depend on how busy I am, but I will get round to it. :slight_smile:

Nice work.

You should be ashamed of yourself for coming up with something positive on a Lorry drivers forum! Lol :laughing:

NickW88:
Nice work.

You should be ashamed of yourself for coming up with something positive on a Lorry drivers forum! Lol :laughing:

Yea! Sorry about that, :blush: I suppose I should be slating Newbies, because us proper drivers were born knowing it all . :laughing:

muckles:
Now how would you word Evil8Beezle suggestion about driving hours being re-set after a break, but not losing the remaining hours from your total driving time?

Sorry I couldn’t reply earlier but I’ve just got home :wink:

How about something like this.

Daily driving, 9 hours, can be extended to 10 hours 2 times a week. (regardless of when or how many breaks are taken, the total allowed daily driving time remains at 9 or 10 hours)

PM sent, got my cat c test on Monday and this will help me no end when I get work.

tachograph:

muckles:
Now how would you word Evil8Beezle suggestion about driving hours being re-set after a break, but not losing the remaining hours from your total driving time?

Sorry I couldn’t reply earlier but I’ve just got home :wink:

How about something like this.

Daily driving, 9 hours, can be extended to 10 hours 2 times a week. (regardless of when or how many breaks are taken, the total allowed daily driving time remains at 9 or 10 hours)

Hi I knew you’d come up with something concise and spot on :smiley:

I’ve gone for

• You do not lose the remaining driving time if you complete a 45 minute break before doing 4.5 hours driving; it just re-sets the driving you can do before needing another 45 minute break to 4.5 hours, or whatever you have left of your daily driving limit.

It’s a bit more wordy, but I think as it actually states you don’t lose the hours, it would be clearer for a new driver.

I don’t know if you’ve mentioned it in your final document but something a lot of new drivers fail to remember/understand is that the daily rest period must be completed within the 24 hour period, it’s worth mentioning if you haven’t already :wink:

Maybe something similar to this.

muckles:
Breaks, Rests, Duty times.

Minimum of 45 minutes break, before completing no more than 4.5 hours driving, can be split into a 15 minute and then 30 minute rest, but not the other way round.
Driving period is re-set after completion of a 45 minute break. (which means you can drive up to another 4.5 hours, if it doesn’t exceed your daily driving limit)
Daily Rest 11 hours, can be reduced to 9 hours 3 times between weekly rest periods-

• (The daily rest period must be completed within 24 hours from the start of the shift, any rest that falls outside of the 24 hour period does not count towards the daily rest period)
    Maximum duty time13 hours, can be extended to 15 hours 3 times between weekly rest periods. (A duty time of more than 13 hours is also considered to be a reduced Daily Rest)
    Daily Rest can be split into 2 separate periods one must be of at least 8 hours and the other of at least 3 hours. (if done this way it’s not considered to be a reduced Daily Rest period)
    Minimum Weekly Rest 45 hours, can be reduced to a minimum of 24 hours every other week, but the remainder of the hours have to be made up by the end of the 4th week following the reduction.
    Maximum of 144 hours between weekly rest periods, (6 x 24 hours)

tachograph:
I don’t know if you’ve mentioned it in your final document but something a lot of new drivers fail to remember/understand is that the daily rest period must be completed within the 24 hour period, it’s worth mentioning if you haven’t already :wink:

Maybe something similar to this.

muckles:
Breaks, Rests, Duty times.

Daily Rest 11 hours, can be reduced to 9 hours 3 times between weekly rest periods-

• (The daily rest period must be completed within 24 hours from the start of the shift, any rest that falls outside of the 24 hour period does not count towards the daily rest period)

I sort of covered it with Duty times, by saying any duty time over 13 hours was considered a reduced rest period,
but as yours is the technically correct explanation and it might make more sense to some people I’ve also added it to the OP and the word document. :slight_smile:
I think we’re getting something that is an accurate, easy to understand and useful explanation of the Regs. :wink:

Just out of curiosity, how come you have such a knowledge of the Regs?
Are you a trainer or a driver with a photographic memory? :laughing:
To sign up to a Truck driver forum with a moniker of Tachograph could be a asking for a fall, :laughing: but as far as I know nobody has tripped you up yet.

Brilliant Muckles Thank you very helpful.

Can I ask when you change a Digi Tachograph to rest can you turn ignition on and off Ie to turn on radio or heater or leave the cab ? Hope this makes sense !
Also is there an upto date Digi simulator to practice on as I am going back to Hgv driving and not sure how to make manual entries at start of day for walk round checks and when you finish I believe you have to add 10 minutes or so for unloading ,paperwork ?

Thanks in advance

ruddio:

Can I ask when you change a Digi Tachograph to rest can you turn ignition on and off Ie to turn on radio or heater or leave the cab ? Hope this makes sense !

The simple answer is, in some you can, in some you cant, as soon as you turn the ignition on it defaults to other work. It all depends how the machine has been set up.

You’ll work out what sort you have very quickly!

F-reds:

ruddio:

The simple answer is, in some you can, in some you cant, as soon as you turn the ignition on it defaults to other work. It all depends how the machine has been set up.

You’ll work out what sort you have very quickly!

I’ve heard there were some that went to other work when you switched on the ignition, but I never driven a truck that did it.
I have no idea why a tacho should be set up this way, doesn’t seem a good reason for it.

F-reds:

I’ve not come across that yet, but will keep my eyes peeled now knowing it exists!
Ta very much of the info! :smiley:

ruddio:

Also is there an upto date Digi simulator to practice on as I am going back to Hgv driving and not sure how to make manual entries at start of day for walk round checks and when you finish I believe you have to add 10 minutes or so for unloading ,paperwork ?

Thanks in advance

There is this one, but it’s the older version for manual entry, but I think if you crack that you’ll be ok with the later tachographs
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=71510

There is this, but it not as functional as the one above.
http://www.tachotutorial.com/v1.4/start.asp

muckles:
I’ve heard there were some that went to other work when you switched on the ignition, but I never driven a truck that did it.
I have no idea why a tacho should be set up this way, doesn’t seem a good reason for it.

On the contrary, sounds like a very stupid way to set it up, as it means that a driver that starts the truck to keep the battery charged (e.g. when boiling a kettle), or just turns on the ignition to enable an accessory (e.g. turn on the radio) would end up recording an interrupted rest and therefore be committing an infringement.

Thanks again for advice and yes I only found out when getting infringements.

It seems a silly design that when on Break you can’t in some vehicles turn on ignition to listen to radio or have heating on etc without Tachograph reverting to other work thus interrupting break.