Drawings from past to future

Bewick:

sammyopisite:

Bewick:

bma.finland:
a mate to the Seddon :wink: cheers benkku

Our ERF’s never had large drivers seats in the cab like that one you have drawn bma. Looks like it will be very comfortable to sit on though :wink: Great drawing as per usual bma. :sunglasses: I ran 4 “A” Series ERF’s on the fleet just like that one,gave us very good service but the Atkinson Borderer was always my favourite British motor.Hope you are keeping well and going easy on the Lager mate :unamused: :wink: Cheers Benkku Dennis.

Dennis I never drove a A series but were the seats like some of the over wagons of the time a bit of up-holsted plastic on a frame or box that rattled your spine :unamused: :laughing:

cheers Johnnie :wink:

Both the “A” Series and the Atky Mk11’s used the Chapman Superide seats as their standard fitment and they were both cheap and nasty Johnnie,I replaced all ours with Bostroms which was the same as Volvo and Scania used as their standard seat.I recall having a right barney with ERF’s at their Middlewhich Service centre once about the drivers seat on a new “A” Series we double shifted and which two Chapman seats were demolished in 6 months,they couldn’t/wouldn’t have it even though they had the motor back in their workshops,they claimed that the seats had been tested with up to 30st on them,the night man was around 17st but the day man was only about 11st IIRC,on the second occasion I was having none of it I demanded they fitted a new Bostrom,and guess what out of their stores came a new Bostrom in matching covering to the passenger seat :open_mouth: End of problem and that seat lasted until the motor was relegated to yard shunter over 10 years later.Cheers Dennis.

You’re right Dennis: I can’t understand why ERF didn’t use Bostrom drivers’ seats in their domestic lorries. They used them in the NGC ‘European’ and if they’d had any sense they should have used them in the A-series if only to dispel the ‘gaffers motor’ image. But we can’t rewrite history! Robert

one more “bedford” ,cheers benkku

Thanks for that explanation Robert about the seats! That accounts for the fuss they kicked up at Middlewich when I stormed in with that new motor with a second collapsed Chapman seat,there was no way they wanted to fit a new Bostrom,they were already to fit another Chapman but I was having none of that so after a “stand off” they finally relented and out came the new Bostrom :smiley: :wink: Cheers Dennis.

bma.finland:
well Dennis it isn,t so easy altimes to get it right ,have only two times been in britain ,so haven,t look too meny times on then live :unamused: :wink: .
this is a risky picture :grimacing: :grimacing: :wink:

:smiley:

But I really wanted the drawbar version. :smiling_imp:

Carryfast:

bma.finland:
well Dennis it isn,t so easy altimes to get it right ,have only two times been in britain ,so haven,t look too meny times on then live :unamused: :wink: .

Don’t take any notice whatsoever of this ■■■■ “Carryfast” bma. he is as the saying goes “like a terrier dog,he always has to have the last Yap”,you shouldn’t have put a drawing up of anything with a Detroit Diesel engine under the floor :open_mouth: now you will have “Carryfast” demanding that every other drawing you put on the thread will have to have the DD engine under the bonnet :blush: One way to get rid of him off YOUR thread is to draw a Guy Big J wit Gardner 8LXB engine,this as the same as holding a cross up in fron’t of Dracula except if you hold up a Gardner 8LXB over “Carryfast” you should let go of the rope and let it drop on the ■■■■ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Carryfast:

bma.finland:

Don’t take any notice whatsoever of this [zb] “Carryfast” bma. he is as the saying goes “like a terrier dog,he always has to have the last Yap”,you shouldn’t have put a drawing up of anything with a Detroit Diesel engine under the floor :open_mouth: now you will have “Carryfast” demanding that every other drawing you put on the thread will have to have the DD engine under the bonnet :blush: One way to get rid of him off YOUR thread is to draw a Guy Big J wit Gardner 8LXB engine,this as the same as holding a cross up in fron’t of Dracula except if you hold up a Gardner 8LXB over “Carryfast” you should let go of the rope and let it drop on the [zb] :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Well said Dennis, This CF ■■■■ called Gardner engines ships anchors a while ago, So hopefully he will be tied to it when they drop it, Grunt Grunt, Regards Larry.

Bewick:
One way to get rid of him off YOUR thread is to draw a Guy Big J wit Gardner 8LXB engine,this as the same as holding a cross up in fron’t of Dracula except if you hold up a Gardner 8LXB over “Carryfast” you should let go of the rope and let it drop on the [zb] :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

:smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing:

Carryfast:

Bewick:
One way to get rid of him off YOUR thread is to draw a Guy Big J wit Gardner 8LXB engine,this as the same as holding a cross up in fron’t of Dracula except if you hold up a Gardner 8LXB over “Carryfast” you should let go of the rope and let it drop on the [zb] :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Oh! ■■■■ it!! missed him again :cry: :cry: :cry: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: Bewick.

Carryfast:

Bewick:

Hello C/F, Im pleased to see that you do have a sence of humour, But might a add that it is a very thin one, So perhaps you could try a little bit harder so as to become one of the real Boys on this thread, Its all down to you, So what do you think , About joining the real haulage men Eh, , Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Carryfast:

Bewick:

Hello C/F, Im pleased to see that you do have a sence of humour, But might a add that it is a very thin one, So perhaps you could try a little bit harder so as to become one of the real Boys on this thread, Its all down to you, So what do you think , About joining the real haulage men Eh, , Regards Larry.

No chance Larry,he’s neither a member of The Headlight Drivers Club or The Bedford Drivers Club or The Hill Top at Blythe Club ! :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

no more screaming jimmys ,a old fassionable englishman,cheers benkku

bma.finland:

here is a shot of the real thing bma. one of two LAD 680 Power Plus Beavers that T.Brady & Sons of Barrow-in-Furness ran in the 1960’s their other Beavers and Badgers had the Leyland 600 engine.This one in the shot had a reduction gear box and was quite a motor in it’s time,it is coupled to a four-in-line trailer loaded with steel from Barrow works,it would normally pull a tandem axle trailer which invariably would be well overloaded :wink: Cheers benkku,Dennis.

Brother Andy and I visited the Leyland gathering and toured the museum on Sunday. Not too many lorries on the car park, but what was there was pristine. I’ll post some more on the ‘past, present and in between’ thread, but thought these 2 might be better on here following Benkku’s great drawing.

Dennis and Possy’s Beaver, minus trailer, was on show in the model case in the museum.

The Badger, in Leyland ‘primer’, was like new. Every nut and bolt shone.

John West:
Brother Andy and I visited the Leyland gathering and toured the museum on Sunday. Not too many lorries on the car park, but what was there was pristine. I’ll post some more on the ‘past, present and in between’ thread, but thought these 2 might be better on here following Benkku’s great drawing.

Dennis and Possy’s Beaver, minus trailer, was on show in the model case in the museum.

The Badger, in Leyland ‘primer’, was like new. Every nut and bolt shone.

Proper wagons, A treat do drive on those long gone days, As my old mentors used to say If you haven’t driven the old ones you haven’t lived, The good old days Eh, Regards Larry.

This is a shot of the actual Octopus HEO557 the model is based on in the Museum at Leyland,this was the first of two Power Plus Octopus’s Brady bought with 557 first reg on 6:11:61 and this one only pulled a trailer for a very short time early on and then it was operated solo.The second Octopus JEO192 was new into service the following year 31:5:62 and it was this motor that Eric Poss and me were on. JEO192 pulled a trailer continuously for about five years and finished its final days running solo with Tuborg beer tanks from Felixstowe into London I believe,it was scrapped in December 1968 after a bloody hard life.I left Brady’s in Jan 68 to start on my own as an O/D and I don’t think the Octopus pulled a trailer much after my time and my mate Eric started at Bowater Scotts not long after I left.The days of having to have a mate on a wagon and trailer were swept away with the 1968 Transport act.The previous shot I put on of the LAD Beaver HEO678 was first registered on 3:1:62.Cheers Bewick.

good information,thank,s ,but Dennis what to do whit that ropes ans a sheet too? cheers benkku

bma.finland:
good information,thank,s ,but Dennis what to do whit that ropes ans a sheet too? cheers benkku

Excellent drawing,as usual bma., :wink: I see you’ve drawn an LAD Leyland Super Comet coupled to a 4-in-line trailer which would allow the combination to run at 24 tons (24384 Kgs) gross weight.I bet you didn’t have any set ups like this in Finland in days gone by :unamused: Now as regards the trouble you look like to be in to sheet and rope that nice load you have there,well there a quite a few lads on this site that would have it sheeted and roped to the highest standards in very little time :sunglasses: I’m thinking of Harry Gill (oxygen please Nurse!),Larry D.,Dave Fergie,L 600,5th Wheel,Rigsby and8LXBV8 Brian. Oh! and here is one I did earlier to give you an idea of how ! :wink: Cheers benkku,Dennis.

Grovelling apology for having called your octopus a beaver!Thank the Lord that we called our fighters Spitfires and Hurricanes instead of wrens and robins!

Looking at all the work that went into roping and sheeting, I have no regrets about moving into vans.

Interesting information about the Brady bunch. Living just down the road from Athersmith’s garage (now the ‘Shell’, where I buy my daily paper) I used to go and watch the lorries move in and out, two brand new eight wheelers in about 1960 were, I think, AECs. I thought they looked good. REL 207 and REL 208.

Why do I remember that and not what my wife has planned for the weekend.

John

img076.jpg
:grimacing: :grimacing: cheers benkku

Bewick:

bma.finland:

here is a shot of the real thing bma. one of two LAD 680 Power Plus Beavers that T.Brady & Sons of Barrow-in-Furness ran in the 1960’s their other Beavers and Badgers had the Leyland 600 engine.This one in the shot had a reduction gear box and was quite a motor in it’s time,it is coupled to a four-in-line trailer loaded with steel from Barrow works,it would normally pull a tandem axle trailer which invariably would be well overloaded :wink: Cheers benkku,Dennis.

Dennis you should have got the outfit in the back ground all in the this shot :laughing: :laughing:

cheers Johnnie :wink: