Double Bottoms in the UK

Go steady with the posts boys, some of us are slow readers. :open_mouth:

coomsey:

:laughing: OK mate! I’ll spread the load more evenly and take some of the load off the drive axle :wink: . Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

coomsey:

:laughing: OK mate! I’ll spread the load more evenly and take some of the load off the drive axle :wink: . Robert

Good man Robert. Interesting topic mind you :stuck_out_tongue:

ramone:

NZ JAMIE:
Jeese,that poor little F86,I hope those trailers were empty.

Just what I was thinking , no doubt if we had trialled it with an English motor we would have used an Atki with a 150 Gardner :wink:

Whitworths in wellingborough did test one and they used an a series erf
Tony

I found this at the back of that file on ‘road-trains’. It’s got a note on it saying that I drew it up on a Sunday afternoon whilst weekended in the cab somewhere in France in about 2003. It’s only doodled diagrams, but I had obviously thought about it! You can see it’s drawn on the back of those P&O boarding cards for lorries that you stuck in the windscreen with a lane number felt-tipped to it. Word of warning: if I was doodling in my cab on a Sunday afternoon in France, I can guarantee that it was probably raining and that I was extending my Routier lunch with a bottle of wine from under the bunk so take it with a pinch of salt! lol :laughing: Robert

Nice to see this thread back on the menu and its jumped along quite a bit, I’ll need a bit time to get through all the articles though! Cheers Franky.

Spains answer

Another one of Spain’s “finest” hauilers

from personal experience this set up at 56.5tn gross would not do in the uk.

We had a single axle ‘dolly’ at Caravan, and I made several trips from Dammam to Riyadh with 2 trailers. Most of the American trailers we used had air connections at the rear, meaning we didn’t have to fit any special pipework.

My truck was the Saviem shown in the photo and that’s me, 1980 or 1981. 240 HP. I don’t remember it as particularly hard work, but we only doubled up with light containers. The Saviem used to overheat dreadfully in Summer, so it was only realistic in Winter. Once you got it going it rolled on quite happily. No steep hills between Dammam and Riyadh. I wouldn’t have liked to have taken it from Jeddah up Taif like Trans Arabia did with their doubles.

[zb]Anorak asks about brakes. We didn’t have any ‘diving’ problems. Actually, apart from the fact that there was a couple of seconds delay before the air got to all the chambers the braking was very good, all those axles.

The other shot is of Geoff Collins with his Fiat, which he bought locally. IIRC that had a large and powerful V8 in it so it didn’t struggle, but again, we never ventured beyond Riyadh with the doubles.

I haven’t read all the articles, but I’m sure the political problems are discussed. I think the problem with doubles in this country is one of perception and it’s easier to say no than to permit it. I can’t believe they would run convoy style driverless vehicles (with drivers) in preference to the simplicity of doubles, it seems like lunacy to me, but then, what do I know!

John.