"Dodgy Neets"

I made sure I made full use of my bus pass, Pete. It took me on nights out in the big city on Saturday as well as taking me, fully equipped with a tool box and a gallon of petrol in a Castrol oil can to my mate’s for a weekend playing with various cars and motor bikes.
It will be noticed that I have been unusually quiet on the subject of “Dodgy Neets when working for BRS”. It’s called Keeping Yer 'Ead Down! :wink:

Retired Old ■■■■:
That was damned good money for the time, Larry. I remember looking through my old chap’s diaries of that time and he was lucky if he saw £8 - £10 for a five & a half day week.
When I started as a trainee spanner-chucker in 1965 I was on £1.17.6 plus free bus fares. Not a lot of bunce for an apprentice in those days!

I was on £11-7-9p basic for a 44 hour week in Sheffield on a Albion Reiver in early 1968.I’d just been demobbed from RAF and was on about £18 then.I always drew more than that when driving but for twice as many hours,part of the job.I can’t remember night out money rate in 1968 but I remember it was way above normal rate when at A E Evans in later years as we got the same rate as the Barking lads who also got London Weighting allowance IIRC.

In 1966 n/o money was 17/6. When I joined the Red & Rust it suddenly jumped to 21 shillings.

rigsby:
I had the opposite, where I worked for 12 years I would ring in (from a phone box ) , and often got " wer’e pushed can you get back " . I would fiddle back home and got paid night out money in cash .

:smiley: Those were the days…weekly log sheets pre-dated log books, known to all and sundry as ‘Billys Weekly Liar’
I knew a long deceased fella who once did Tooley St. to Dewsbury on the log book, poor fella didn’t have a penny in his pocket…and he went back on the reverse journey on the thumb. It was a Friday and he was parked until Monday morning (unscheduled).