Did anyone tyhink the eaton splitter was a good gearbox?

I used to have to drive one of these and as soon as I got to a roundabout or a junction , it would be crunch crunch crunch , I tried my best but when Ive spoke to other drivers , theyve said that they thought it was a fantastic system.Incidentally , these same drivers , I noticed did their share of crunching when I looked at their driving technique so please be honest!

Yes great once you was used to it clutch less changes and no stick movement once you was up to about 39 mph but a proper ■■■■■■■■ contraption until you got the hang of it. I only ever drove one for the odd day here and there but did like it.

Loved it, cut my teeth on it as a 1st agency job, luckily worked for a firm that specced them as standard, would have one fitted to any truck if I owned it,only downside was a bit of rheumatism in my left thumb :wink: .
Really quite simple to use if shown how to use it properly and very economical, I don’t buy this crap that they were discontinued because of the noise issue (gearboxes aren’t noisey engines are), they stopped being fitted because the new generation had no idea how a constant mesh gearbox worked :cry:

I was a suicide jockey the first week with one, but after a while I loved the bloody thing.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m using an I-shift just now and it’s quality, but I’m glad I had a good few years using the various manual boxes in the 80s and 90s. :wink:

Pete the post:
Loved it, cut my teeth on it as a 1st agency job, luckily worked for a firm that specced them as standard, would have one fitted to any truck if I owned it,only downside was a bit of rheumatism in my left thumb :wink: .
Really quite simple to use if shown how to use it properly and very economical, I don’t buy this crap that they were discontinued because of the noise issue (gearboxes aren’t noisey engines are), they stopped being fitted because the new generation had no idea how a constant mesh gearbox worked :cry:

They were a great box, imho. It took me a couple of day runs and some advise to get it.
I think the reason they were discontinued is the bit I’ve highlighted in red.
Supermarkets DCs just want to chuck you a set of keys and know the job will be done.
They don’t want to have to train lots of agency drivers and then never see them again.

Do you mean the twin splitter? Never really got on with those too “faffy” but the 9 or 13 speed Eaton fuller gearbox with the square box change was a joy to drive.Could outshift any crap syncroed unit once you got the feel of it.Another good box was the Spicer with overdrive but they tended to chip teeth if you were a bit rough with them…

Use to love repairing them nearly as much as driving them.Real truck gearboxes even the old crouts used to fit them in MANs rather than the usual ZF rubbish.

Main reason they died out was that there is no way you can link them into an electronic or semi automatic shift system.Like a motorbike you have to match engine speed with road speed and no super dooper ECU can beat a human being at that.Even the split had to be timed right never mind the range.But you could beat any syncro box truck off the line because you actualy shifted the gears not the syncro hubs.Memories!
Remember I once rebuilt a Spicer and got the counter shaft timing wrong.Started the old sedack up all was fine went to get a brew while it was ticking over on the pit,came back and a very strange noise but just was not quick enough to turn the motor off before the gearbox exploded.[zb] Awesum like putting a grenade in a biscuit tin.All that was left was a bit fastened to the prop and the front of the box and bell housing.OH [zb]

Only ever drove a truck with a twin splitter once and that was once too much for me. It was an M reg Iveco Eurotech.

With regards to an earlier post about noise, I found ERFs with the twin splitter used to have a loud whining noise from the gearbox, compared to the ones with syncro boxes in them. So maybe it was a noise issue that helped kill the twin splitter off.

was a good gearbox as all says once you got the hang of em, had one in some stratos and a foden both wasnt brilliant with the cable change but it worked, iveco and man seemd to be better for feel etc, but still played a odd tune on them now and then

Bking:
Do you mean the twin splitter? Never really got on with those too “faffy” but the 9 or 13 speed Eaton fuller gearbox with the square box change was a joy to drive.Could outshift any crap syncroed unit once you got the feel of it.Another good box was the Spicer with overdrive but they tended to chip teeth if you were a bit rough with them…

Use to love repairing them nearly as much as driving them.Real truck gearboxes even the old crouts used to fit them in MANs rather than the usual ZF rubbish.

Main reason they died out was that there is no way you can link them into an electronic or semi automatic shift system.Like a motorbike you have to match engine speed with road speed and no super dooper ECU can beat a human being at that.Even the split had to be timed right never mind the range.But you could beat any syncro box truck off the line because you actualy shifted the gears not the syncro hubs.Memories!

Not saying your wrong but the Volvo I shif box zf auto etc are constant mesh boxes as the computer does the job of synchros but faster and without the weight of synchros in the gearbox.

Best and easiest in use lorry gearbox ever, lightning quick shifts if you used the brake button at the very bottom of clutch travel (not usually adjusted properly) for steep hills for example, though in normal use never touched the clutch once on the move.

We all played a tune on them till we got used, but they never broke despite serious abuse.

One of the best fittings i found was in the F90 MAN, the engine would rev quickly and drop revs quickly too, made for good progress as the time between gears was split second, other engines not so fast to adjust revs didn’t take such good advantage of that gearbox.

Superb 'box, the only thing to beat it since has been the I-shift

kr79:

Bking:

Not saying your wrong but the Volvo I shif box zf auto etc are constant mesh boxes as the computer does the job of synchros but faster and without the weight of synchros in the gearbox.

Constant mesh boxes are all syncroed as the gears are fixed on the mainshaft and the selector forks only move the syncro hub,Crash boxes actualy move the gears along the shafts,thats why if you get it wrong,unlike the syncro, there is nothing to match gear speeds.All crash boxes have clutch brakes to help bring the gearing into “sync” to get a clean shift.The twin splitter had a multiplate brake in the box itself others had it on the thrust bearing so when you pressed the clutch it “dragged” on the gearbox face.All synco boxes have helical cut gears to make them quiet but you cant use helical teeth without a syncromesh buffer also helical gears have a longer tooth span so can carry more power so that does away (technicaly) needing a double counter shaft box making them quite a bit lighter.

After passing my class 1 was chucked on to an erf ec10 with twin splitter, luckily there were a few old hands there who were willing to show me how to use it. Thought it was a cracking box to be honest, but would I want to swap one for my fully auto now, not a prayer.

loved the box, had one agency job that i always tried to get the erf with the twin split :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

You mean “the box of 100 neutrals” as it was nicknamed.Yes great gearbox if it was used properly.As with most things better if you get the appropriate training on it.
Someone mentioned the downshift brake but surprising how many drivers were oblivious to it simply because they had never been told.

the gearbox that tells you when your tired

I had one in an ERF E series, loved it

Best setup in a truck with a twin splitter was the Ford Cargo 2838 but as has been said, the Fuller Roadranger 9 speed was one of the best boxes, fitted into a Leyland Bison I had.

Bking:
Main reason they died out was that there is no way you can link them into an electronic or semi automatic shift system.Like a motorbike you have to match engine speed with road speed and no super dooper ECU can beat a human being at that.

Once drove an ERF in about 93 which did just that. Can’t remember much about it now, but it had a ‘joy stick’ which when moved changed gear, matching engine revs and clutch electronically.

I drove a Man with an Eaton Twin Splitter for a couple of years. Generally liked it as it was much quicker and less effort to use than a syncro, especially the new EPS Mercs of the time! I occasionally got it wrong on a very steep hill fully loaded and that could be a nightmare. I never felt that I had completely mastered it’s foibles even after 1000s of miles. Prior to that I drove a Leyland with a ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ power train. Cracking engine, bugger of a gearbox.

I wouldn’t trade in my current auto for one.

Hexhome:

Bking:
Main reason they died out was that there is no way you can link them into an electronic or semi automatic shift system.Like a motorbike you have to match engine speed with road speed and no super dooper ECU can beat a human being at that.

Once drove an ERF in about 93 which did just that. Can’t remember much about it now, but it had a ‘joy stick’ which when moved changed gear, matching engine revs and clutch electronically.

I drove a Man with an Eaton Twin Splitter for a couple of years. Generally liked it as it was much quicker and less effort to use than a syncro, especially the new EPS Mercs of the time! I occasionally got it wrong on a very steep hill fully loaded and that could be a nightmare. I never felt that I had completely mastered it’s foibles even after 1000s of miles. Prior to that I drove a Leyland with a ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ power train. Cracking engine, bugger of a gearbox.

I wouldn’t trade in my current auto for one.

Sorry cant be doing with them autos its like having a conversation with some poor bugger with a stammer.You wait and wait but you cant help finishing the line off yourself.bloody pointless articles.