DHL - what do I have to do to get them to understand?

Not strictly to do with the truck side of them, more the courier side of it and getting my parcel from A to B.

I have been expecting a directory direct from Switzerland since mid May and well into June I still haven’t received it. I contacted the sender via email and he assured me that DHL collected it from his office on 20 May and it was addressed just as I’d told him :

(example)

R I KNAPP
123 TRUCKNET ROAD
RAVENSTHORPE
DEWSBURY
WEST YORKSHIRE
ENGLAND
WF13 3AA

So as you can see, there’s no problem with the addressing whatsoever (obviously the street and post-code have been changed here).

DHL had also asked for a contact telephone number in case there was any problem with the delivery so I passed my mobile number to the sender and he passed it along to DHL.

The sender went away on business during the first half of June and he replied to my email of 20 June asking where it was on the 21st by saying that it had arrived at the Leeds depot on 11 June :open_mouth: 22 days to get from Switzerland to the UK :question: :open_mouth: .

I came home last Wednesday night (23rd) to find a card from the DHL courier dated the same day saying that they had tried to deliver it and required a signature but no-one was in :angry: . I forgot to mention that I had made special instructions for them NOT to attempt to deliver it because I’m away from home all week so they’re wasting their time.

The card read (basically) “We attempted to deliver a parcel today but it required a signature and no-one was in so we have taken it back to our Leeds office. To arrange re-delivery please contact the office on [blah]”.

Thursday morning came and I had a late start so I decided to run up to the Leeds office in Kirkstall (a 30 mile round-trip :open_mouth: ) complete with the necessary ID and missed delivery DHL card to collect it.

Me: Hi, I’ve come to collect this parcel please [giving the lass the card and my two forms of ID]

Her: [Off she goes in the back and comes back 5 seconds later] it’s not here.

Me: Well where is it then?

Her: the courier is out with it.

Me: [big sigh] it says on this card “to arrange re-delivery please contact your local office”. It doesn’t say, “we will attempt to re-deliver it again the next day” does it ?

Her: [silence, then…] when we’re quiet we sometimes try to deliver parcels more than once.

Me: [getting really annoyed] oh well that’s just great isn’t it; I trail all the way down here - a 30 mile round-trip - and in work time to collect my parcel which was sent from Switzerland on 20 May and you’re telling me now that it’s not here and some courier is probably right now stood on my doorstep banging on my door trying to deliver it :exclamation: :open_mouth:

Her: Would you like me to contact the driver for you so you can arrange another delivery :question:

Me: [temper just about lost] NO I WOULDN’T :exclamation: Which part don’t you understand ? I’m not at home through the week hence why I’m here now to pick it up myself :unamused: :angry:

Her: Is there a specific time you’ll be at home so we can arrange delivery for you.

Me: YES. SATURDAY AFTERNOON :angry:

Her: I’m sorry Sir, we don’t deliver on Saturdays to that area.

Me: Exactly :angry: . That’s why I’ve come all the way down here to pick the flaming thing up :angry: . Look, when the driver gets back with it, take it off him, put it to one side in a safe place, don’t lose it, don’t send it back, don’t try to deliver it again and I’LL phone you when I can next get down to collect it to make sure it is definitely here yeah. Do you think you can manage to do that :question: :angry:

Her: There’s no need for that attitude Sir.

Me: Just make sure it’s here next time OK [and then I left, nearing tearing my hair out in frustration].

They are so zedbeeing useless

And when I got back Friday, guess what? No DHL card on the doormat which would surely prove they had attempted to deliver it a second time. So where was my parcel :question: :confused:

Rob you should have asked me to get it from Swiss for you, I’d have got it back a heck of a lot quicker than that.

Come on KK, we are being attacked :stuck_out_tongue:

Rob K Wrote:

Me: [getting really annoyed]

Im not having that Rob, you getting annoyed?

The thing with DHL and any other courier company, they are not allowed to deliver ■■■■ without a signature in case the kids get hold of it!

I know you will say it is not ■■■■, but the courier doesnt know that :stuck_out_tongue:

Every DHL courier and van, truck, car and minibus has a mobile. They also have a scanner which tracks the ID number. All you needed to do was let the poor girl ring the scanner and it would have immediately alerted the courier.

The parcel will be delivered to you at any time if you arrange with the courier.

I took a 40’ trailer down to Heathrow with 3 empty cages and 2 parcels at christmas because the customer had asked for delivery between 10 and 12 on christmas day.

We run a 365 day operation and couriers will deliver every day, if asked nicely :smiley:

Wheel Nut:
Every DHL courier and van, truck, car and minibus has a mobile. They also have a scanner which tracks the ID number. All you needed to do was let the poor girl ring the scanner and it would have immediately alerted the courier.

The parcel will be delivered to you at any time if you arrange with the courier.

Right, so you’re telling me that she would have told the courier trying to deliver 80 parcels a day so halt whatever he/she is doing and trail all the way from the Dewsbury/Ravensthorpe delivery area just to deliver my parcel to me in person.

Dream on. :unamused:

This package from abroad in a plain wrapper, its not the Renault Premium Promotional DVD is it? :wink:

starvation and war in the world and your worried about you package :wink:

if your away all week how are they supposed to deliver the thing

jon
:laughing:

Rob, calm down,
The courier would then by the miracle of modern technology, talk to you and arrange a convenient time for delivery.

No he wouldnt drop everything to bring you a parcel specially. Each courier runs his own delivery schedule, the office are there to coordinate messages and collections.

If I ring our local office with a parcel to be collected, the courier would then call me to arrange a convenient time.
Its a bit like transport really. just with more than 1 drop a day

Cant help with this one Rob, but next time arrange to have your parcel delivered to work - I mean the office, not yer truck -. cos theres someone there all day.Thats what I do, (but ask first if they dont mind) Never missed a delivery yet.

Kate

I Love my Twingo

Wheel Nut:
Rob, calm down,
The courier would then by the miracle of modern technology, talk to you and arrange a convenient time for delivery.

No he wouldnt drop everything to bring you a parcel specially. Each courier runs his own delivery schedule, the office are there to coordinate messages and collections.

If I ring our local office with a parcel to be collected, the courier would then call me to arrange a convenient time.
Its a bit like transport really. just with more than 1 drop a day

But I’m not there through the week and the courier doesn’t work weekends, so therefore as I have already stated and told them umpteen times before the thing was even sent from Switzerland, it needs to be held at their office and I will come and collect it. What is it with people not being able to follow the simplest of instructions ? :angry:

malc there’s no point in trying to reason with a guy [zb]

now if that was me as you said malc drivers have technology with them,the office could have arranged for rob to meet the driver somewhere on his route home.

[zb]

[zb],i give up with the guy. :angry:

yeah i know we ain’t the best company to work for,but o/d’s ain’t long in taking the work off us if we offer them it,nor agency drivers as they know that they ain’t that pushed.

just to add one thing…if you ain’t going to be in and you know your expecting a parcel and the company does not deliver to that area according to you?then y don’t you arrange for it to be taken in by a neighbour?

Anything which could even be half-way construed as a Personal Attack removed, see post on “Leaving” thread.L.

kitkat:
[zb]

PERSONAL ATTACK NO.1 Moderators step in please.

Rob, if you wish to contact the moderators about a particular, please do so by private message in accordance with current guidelines.L.

now if that was me as you said malc drivers have technology with them,the office could have arranged for rob to meet the driver somewhere on his route home.

I hadn’t realised you worked for them but it’s clear that [zb]. Try going back and reading the story properly if you’re that bothered that you consider it necessary to reply with [zb] the girl behind the counter in the Leeds office.

Firstly, I wasn’t going home nor anywhere near Dewsbury and secondly, if you meant the courier, I doubt that he would be returning to base at 10am in the morning either and thirdly I didn’t have spare time on my hands to be sitting about waiting for the courier to eventually turn up when he/she felt like it with my parcel.

[zb]

[zb]

[zb]

PERSONAL ATTACK NO.2. Moderators step in please.

See comment above. Requests put to us through the proper channels will be dealt with happily. Demands will not.

[zb].

yeah i know we ain’t the best company to work for,but o/d’s ain’t long in taking the work off us if we offer them it,nor agency drivers as they know that they ain’t that pushed.

[zb]

just to add one thing…if you ain’t going to be in and you know your expecting a parcel and the company does not deliver to that area according to you?then y don’t you arrange for it to be taken in by a neighbour?

DO YOU NOT BOTHER TO READ ANYTHING? Did I not say in the original post that I had make it crystal clear that the parcel was not to be delivered :question: . The girl in the Leeds office even confirmed those exact details to me as they’d been put on the screen as special delivery instructions. Not that it’s any of your business nor relevance to the thread but the neighbours are also out working all day and even if they were in, I don’t know them well enough to ask them to take a parcel in for me.

[zb]

All personal attacks or anything even approaching a personal attack removed. Threats of physical violence are also not tolerated on this site.

Tell you what why not both cool it and we will call it a draw on this occasion, no penalty shoot out required, your personal attack and threat of violence will be ignored.

Rob K:
[zb]

Rob K:
[zb]

Hi All,

I don’t want to contribute to world war three, but I sympathise with Rob. I too have had many dealings with courier companies (no names mentioned) who cannot understand simple instructions.

Asked one company to deliver to neighbour but they took it back to depot, I was in need of the parcel so had to go to depot, 25 miles round trip to collect.

Parcel addressed to me in Darlington ended up in Cheltenham then took 4 days to get it to me they said we cannot contact courier he is not answering is phone.

These are just a few examples but the one that really gets me is when I say deliver after 2pm…sorry sir we don,t deliver after 2pm…this after I have paid to have special delivery.

So go easy on Rob, I know how frustrating it gets and I have also blown up as he did.

Westie

Similar experiences here too. And this comment about all the vehicles having mobiles in may be true, last I drove for DHL, the wagon had a phone. The fact it didn’t work was neither here nor there, it was in the cab…

Coffeeholic:
Tell you what why not both cool it and we will call it a draw on this occasion, no penalty shoot out required, your personal attack and threat of violence will be ignored.

Rob K:
[zb]

Rob K:
[zb]

and i thought i as the only one who could see the irony in his words :wink:

allikat:
Similar experiences here too. And this comment about all the vehicles having mobiles in may be true, last I drove for DHL, the wagon had a phone. The fact it didn’t work was neither here nor there, it was in the cab…

we were not talking about phones

LMFAO If only all problems in life were as small as this :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Rob you say it was only a Brochure in the package :confused: :confused: :confused:

Was’nt one from a medical company selling stress O’meters or Blood Pressure Monitors by any chance :wink: :wink: :wink:

Calm down matey, you’ll end up on the sick mate, then you Will be in to recieve the package :laughing: :laughing:

kitkat:

allikat:

Wheel nut mentioned them…

we were not talking about phones

Davey Driver:
LMFAO If only all problems in life were as small as this :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Rob you say it was only a Brochure in the package :confused: :confused: :confused:

Was’nt one from a medical company selling stress O’meters or Blood Pressure Monitors by any chance :wink: :wink: :wink:

Calm down matey, you’ll end up on the sick mate, then you Will be in to recieve the package :laughing: :laughing:

It’s relevance to the story is neither here nor there but it’s a directory not dissimilar in size to the Yellow Pages.

To put it very simply, I started a “scam” over 5 years ago which enabled people to escape paying for something. This guy in Switzerland sends me inside info from the company he works for every year for a considerable sum of money and I forward it on anonymously for an even larger sum :sunglasses: . I run a private website where members pay to access the “service” through PayPal and when I first set it up I had 18 members. Today I have 2831 :slight_smile: .

This publication contains all the info that some of the members have been waiting for for a good few months now, and as it should have been here well before the end of May members are starting to ask questions as to where their info is as it’s now a whole month late :open_mouth: and are refusing to pay up until they get it :open_mouth: .

So it’s not just a “brochure” that “anytime will do” for delivery. It’s an urgent delivery and was posted as such and to take DHL over a month to get it from Switzerland to here is just not good enough.