Devon companies

One or two, to keep things going.
Oily

Didbygraham 7875726066_508dd1804f_b...jpg

Found on Facebook Bideford history group , courtesy of Bridget Shapland

Mickey Shaplands new lorry when he drove for Fulford Trumps, 1971.
All ready to be used for a float in Bideford carnival.

mervin:
Found on Facebook Bideford history group , courtesy of Bridget Shapland

Mickey Shaplands new lorry when he drove for Fulford Trumps, 1971.
All ready to be used for a float in Bideford carnival.

Wow that’s a flashback. I used to live about 3 doors up.

NZ JAMIE:
G’day,
Great info and pic guys thanks,I realy like the Eggbeers MAN Bubbs,I remember seeing them around,unusual that it has super singles on the r-send. Nice to see R L Taylor too,I used to see that Cargo about quite a bit,the same goes for the Glendenning Fodens,they used to tip at ARC’s batching plant in Tiverton.
Something a bit different today I reckon,a selection of Devon companies featured in magazines over the years,I’m sure there are heaps more. I even found a couple of firms from your last pics Bubbs,happy days! I don’t ever recall seeing the boat shifting mob from Exeter.
Cheers Jamie

some more i found (don’t think i have posted these before)

I remember walking to work one morning and spotted what I at first thought from the distance was a Brian Harris Steyr!!!. And for a second or two I thought Brian was trying a Steyr but it turned out it was one of Haymans very like Brian Harris colours from a distance. Eddie.

bubbleman:
Hey,great pics…this thread is coming on nicely…I might ditch the scrapbook an concentrate on this one and the cornish one instead :wink:

I managed to get a Bowdens Merc too :laughing:

Cheers Bubbs. :wink:

Used to love it when we got to Sticklepath and could see these in their yard, something really different to the usual. Of course what was the usual then is now interesting and different now, and everything modern is by and large pretty bland!

That was my old truck miss it loads

Richardjw1:

NZ JAMIE:
G’day,
Great info and pic guys thanks,I realy like the Eggbeers MAN Bubbs,I remember seeing them around,unusual that it has super singles on the r-send. Nice to see R L Taylor too,I used to see that Cargo about quite a bit,the same goes for the Glendenning Fodens,they used to tip at ARC’s batching plant in Tiverton.
Something a bit different today I reckon,a selection of Devon companies featured in magazines over the years,I’m sure there are heaps more. I even found a couple of firms from your last pics Bubbs,happy days! I don’t ever recall seeing the boat shifting mob from Exeter.
Cheers Jamie

Emailed the picture of that to a chum of mine who runs out of Millom, with the header ‘bet you can’t do that now!’

Here’s his reply

Hi John,

Climbing on the body, no hard hat, no high viz gear, no glasses, no beacons, no camera, no sheet all a ban able offence !

Tidy rig though.

Hi All
We have a1966 Foden & under the paint is a coat of lightblue with a Teignmouth four digit phone number on it starting with 4 its a oblong headlight model with a tilt cab.
Just wondered if it jogs anyones memory
Cheers Rich

Here is a couple of Devon lorries that travelled around Europe starting 1974.

bubbleman:
Hello again,great pics on here…both Jamies doing a grand job :laughing:

Heres my only Ace-Tip pic :frowning:

Cheers Bubbs. :wink:[/qu

ERF C Series CFJ962Y ,KINS OF EXETER I have this truck under going restoration , would it be possible to have a copy of your photo

KINGS of EXETER , ERF C series CFJ962Y

John West:

Richardjw1:

NZ JAMIE:
G’day,
Cheers Jamie

Emailed the picture of that to a chum of mine who runs out of Millom, with the header ‘bet you can’t do that now!’

Here’s his reply

Hi John,

Climbing on the body, no hard hat, no high viz gear, no glasses, no beacons, no camera, no sheet all a ban able offence !

Tidy rig though.

took that bottom pic into Glendennings the other day , Nigel that used to drive the trucks in that day works in the office now , he said the bloke on the trailer is Barry Glendinning himself

Hi,Ex Harris & Miners Driver!! Did anyone remember F.J Reeves Totnes,Transport side,back in the 60s,they had 2 1966 fodens with Leyland 680 engines ,commer 2stroke unit,& mickey mouse Foden with 150 gardner 12 speed box which my father used to drive,either pulling a four in line 28 foot trailer,or pulling a tamdem 33 foot with a container loaded with Rank Bush TV"s from ernisettle,Plymouth.they also had the Removal side as well…all gone now,except the tlmber side operation…
Norman Croad,Torquay…(Retired)

6LX:
Hi,Ex Harris & Miners Driver!! Did anyone remember F.J Reeves Totnes,Transport side,back in the 60s,they had 2 1966 fodens with Leyland 680 engines ,commer 2stroke unit,& mickey mouse Foden with 150 gardner 12 speed box which my father used to drive,either pulling a four in line 28 foot trailer,or pulling a tamdem 33 foot with a container loaded with Rank Bush TV"s from ernisettle,Plymouth.they also had the Removal side as well…all gone now,except the tlmber side operation…
Norman Croad,Torquay…(Retired)

Hi I’m far to young to remember most of this in this thread but my dad was a HGV driver for many years and drove for several firms including F J Reeves of totnes and a few others were Bowdens Haulage and Sprung Slumber in Okehampton I have just passed my HGV and looking forward to making my memories on the road :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Ryan

Hello Ryan,so u have just passed yr test,good luck to you,ive had 25yrs Long Distance,ropes & sheets,
my father drove for FJ Reeves totnes back in 60s,transport side,if yr father drove for Reeves of Totnes,was he on Local or distance,i mite know his name,My father drove a mickey Foden Artic,12speed box,150 gardner, Long distance,that other firm u mentioned was Bowdens of Sticklepath,Blue Livery,wat firm do u drive for Ryan,are u local,or distance,im glad im out of the rat race now,Norman Croad,Torquay,Devon.

Well Ryan I wish you luck in your new career if you have half as much fun as I had you will have a great time. I had 35 years travelling around Europe and enjoyed nearly every moment. Starting with this.And ending with this.

hi cliff,u used to drive for Axminster then, i remember wen they had 4 wheeler Leyland comet with sideboards,i had a Leyland Comet 4wheeler on Harris & Miners,occasionally i used to see Axminster up scotland area,wen i used to do scotch runs.i believe yr guvnor used to give Brian Harris an odd pallet or 2 for scotland…Norman Croad,Torquay.

Hi Norman first of all thank you, sorry its taken a while to reply. I believe it was in the 60s that my father drove for Reeves of totnes and he was on local in a Bedford for them with occasional distance work his name is Bruce Wakeham thanks for correcting me, since posting I have spoken to him and he told me it was Bowden’s of Sticklepath :slight_smile: I am from dog village just outside of broadclyst nr Exeter and I am about to start on with Gardner Distribution on local pallet distribution work. I sat down with the wife and discussed with her the way I should take my career and as our 2 children are still very young I would like to see them grow up some more before I start on distance but ultimately at the right time I would love the opportunity to eventually get on to European work :slight_smile: as I am only 25 though I still have plenty of time :slight_smile:

Cliff, thanks for the best wishes and I’m looking forward to a long happy and fun career as a trucker its what I’ve wanted to do ever since I could say truck or lorry :slight_smile: like the pictures of your wagons both very smart. You both must be the first 2 experienced drivers that I have spoken with that hasn’t told me not to bother, apart from my father all of the other truckers in our family have tried to warn me away. Not that its worked of course.

Regards

Ryan

hi Ryan,thanks for yr reply,i cant remember yr fathers name,as he was on the local side,there was"nt many Long distance drivers on Reeves side,Ask yr father if he knew my father>Charlie Croad,chopper brian Green,John O"conner,John O"conner had a bad accident workin the garage at totnes helping out with one of the mechanics,He was a nice chap to know,If i was you ryan try & get sum experience with Gregorys & work yrself up,but where ever u go alot to learn along the way,Norman croad,Torquay,