Dennison tractive units

240 Gardner:
The sad-looking black-and-red tractor is a photo I took (and has presumably been extracted from another website) in the yard of Dennison Trailers near Lancaster in, I think 2005. I gather it belonged to them and that they had plans to restore it.

When the Dennison tractor was introduced, I recall press comment by (I think) John Dickson-SImpson, to the effect that this was the Atkinson Borderer replacement for those disaffected Atkinson operators who wanted nothing to do with the Seddon Atkinson 400 and which, although Atkinson-derived, had Seddon axles amongst other Oldham tinkering.

I noticed a restored Dennison for sale in Classic Truck this month :wink: . robert

They sure are ugly brutes. All that glass :open_mouth:
I presume they were ‘gaffers motors’?

Barrieros. You sure?

David

robert1952:

marky:

robert1952:

Err…

No, no, NO.

For the umpteenth time on God-knows how many different forms of online media - that is NOT a Dennison. It’s a Barreiros (sold as a Dodge in the UK) which had a pusher axle fitted along with the locally-built cab.

So the picture to which you refer, Marky, would be this one then (pic below). News to me that it was not what it appears to be; so please elaborate and please be patient. These threads go round in circles and much is repeated over time because people enter the fray at different times! If this model is not a Dennison, just dish the dirt and we can all sleep easy in our beds and be better educated and satisfied! Robert

Here’s a picture of it in it’s final stage of modification prior to the coachbuilt cab being fitted. It’s clearly the same wagon and clearly not a Dennison. I think it’s pretty self-explanatory what it is:

marky:

robert1952:

marky:

robert1952:

Err…

No, no, NO.

For the umpteenth time on God-knows how many different forms of online media - that is NOT a Dennison. It’s a Barreiros (sold as a Dodge in the UK) which had a pusher axle fitted along with the locally-built cab.

So the picture to which you refer, Marky, would be this one then (pic below). News to me that it was not what it appears to be; so please elaborate and please be patient. These threads go round in circles and much is repeated over time because people enter the fray at different times! If this model is not a Dennison, just dish the dirt and we can all sleep easy in our beds and be better educated and satisfied! Robert

Here’s a picture of it in it’s final stage of modification prior to the coachbuilt cab being fitted. It’s clearly the same wagon and clearly not a Dennison. I think it’s pretty self-explanatory what it is:

Photo: DRM168T Dodge (?) Tyson H Burrridge | 1970's album | Boballoa | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

Thank you for clarifying that, Marky, and for taking the trouble to find a picture of it in its original state. I had no idea it wasn’t a Dennison! Re-cabbed units are often confusing beasts: we do get a few repeated mis-identifications on the ERF threads for the same reason. Cheers, Robert

The cab on the Burridge Barreiros looks like a modified Sisu/Dennison one. Is that what it is, or was it a scratch-build, which just happened to use the glass from one of those cabs? I have a half-baked memory of reading about it in some detail, but I don’t trust my memory. :laughing:

[zb]
anorak:
The cab on the Burridge Barreiros looks like a modified Sisu/Dennison one. Is that what it is, or was it a scratch-build, which just happened to use the glass from one of those cabs? I have a half-baked memory of reading about it in some detail, but I don’t trust my memory. :laughing:

It was definitely coachbuilt from scratch, and in the back of my mind something is telling me that it was built by someone in Cleator Moor. I could be wrong, but I think that’s right. I also seem to have a recollection that Colin Pattinson told me.

Thanks to DEANB for scans of this CM Dec '79 road test. Robert

This is the one ‘Marky’ referred to further up the page: it is reported as being a Dennison in the article but apparently it was a Barrieros Dodge with a UK-built Sisu look-alike cab. Robert

Robert I can’t read the article as it won’t expand but going by the text under the photo’s it does say it is a Dodge and not a Dennison, although the top picture is, and clearly a different vehicle from the one’s below, unless the article has some miswritten text I doubt an accomplished lorry enthusiast and author such as Peter Davies would make that mistake.
Franky.

Frankydobo:
Robert I can’t read the article as it won’t expand but going by the text under the photo’s it does say it is a Dodge and not a Dennison, although the top picture is, and clearly a different vehicle from the one’s below, unless the article has some miswritten text I doubt an accomplished lorry enthusiast and author such as Peter Davies would make that mistake.
Franky.

You might find the article easier to read on the Paul Gee thread (a couple of pages back where DEANB posted it). The first pic shows their Dennison and the 2nd pic shows the Dodge that looks like a Dennison. Robert