davis bros

Removed due to breach of copyright

A large number of photo’s have been removed from this thread due to them being copyrighted.

That’s a nice set of photos you have there Ben. :wink:

hi,
is this the same davis bros?that had a yard in stormy down south wales years ago.they were a very big firm,i thought they were brown though? until now :smiley: :smiley: .
regards andrew.

dieseldave:

Dave the Renegade:
What engine was in that Super Comet Ben ?

Hi Dave,
At a guess, I’d say it had a Super Comet engine in it. :grimacing:

:blush: :blush: Sorry Dave, I couldn’t resist. :blush: :blush:

Oh look, my taxi is here. :laughing: :wink:

As apology and compensation for the above, may I point you in the direction of Ben’s other great piccy topic just here:
:arrow_right: meadow transport - OLD TIME LORRIES, COMPANIES AND DRIVERS (INTERACT - Trucknet UK

Dave the Renegade:
Great pics from the 60’s.

Absolutely!! :smiley:

Hi Dave
The Comet has a Leyland 401 i think it was.
Cheers Ben

Hi Ben. I don’t know how old you are but i have a mate who is now 70 and lives in Holland.He used to work for Tower hill which was also under the Davis Bros ‘‘Yiddle and co’’ group.Have you any photos of Tower hill and the other co that they had.Charles Poulter.Mike

hutpik:
Hi Ben. I don’t know how old you are but i have a mate who is now 70 and lives in Holland.He used to work for Tower hill which was also under the Davis Bros ‘‘Yiddle and co’’ group.Have you any photos of Tower hill and the other co that they had.Charles Poulter.Mike

1. Things to ask why was it called Yiddle Davis, i can remember my dad calling them that when he worked for Buckleys and Tyburns . Also who had the depot in Padgate Warrington was it Davis or Pointers i can remember going pass it on the way into Warrington its a housing Estate now and the main entrance is called Canada Close

Hi Hutpik.
Dont think Tower Hill was ever part of Davis Bros not that I knew of, sorry dont have any Charles Poulter except the Merc at the Top of this Page I think there is an odd one about in these Forums if you have time to search i am afraid in those Days there was not a lot of Photos taken, to much trouble and expence. 73 Years.

Cheers Ben.

ben walker:

dieseldave:

Dave the Renegade:

Hi Dave,
At a guess, I’d say it had a Super Comet engine in it. :grimacing:

As apology and compensation for the above, may I point you in the direction of Ben’s other great piccy topic just here:
:arrow_right: meadow transport - OLD TIME LORRIES, COMPANIES AND DRIVERS (INTERACT - Trucknet UK

Dave the Renegade:

Hi Dave
Cheers Ben

Thanks Ben,probably the 400,the 401 came a bit later.As for diesel dave I can take it.I dish plenty out :laughing: .
Cheers Dave.

Hi Boatchaser,
The Name I think is just a term for the Jewish People,The Depot at Padgate Warrington was Davis Bros

Cheers Ben.

Dave the Renegade:

ben walker:

dieseldave:

Dave the Renegade:

Hi Dave,
At a guess, I’d say it had a Super Comet engine in it. :grimacing: photobucket

Dave the Renegade:

Hi Dave
Cheers Ben

Thanks Ben,probably the 400,the 401 came a bit later.As for diesel dave I can take it.I dish plenty out :laughing: .
Cheers Dave.

Hello Dave,
The Super Comet had the 375 engine . - they used to whistle a bit when idling.
regards - Hywel. :laughing: :laughing:

Price:

Dave the Renegade:

ben walker:

dieseldave:

Dave the Renegade:

Hi Dave,
At a guess, I’d say it had a Super Comet engine in it. :grimacing: photobucket

Dave the Renegade:

Hi Dave
Cheers Ben

Cheers Dave.

Hello Dave,
The Super Comet had the 375 engine . - they used to whistle a bit when idling.
regards - Hywel. :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Hywel,
Brisbanes of Knighton had one of the LAD cabbed Super Comet’s to pull the low loader,it was used with a single axled tipping trailer when there was nothing to do moving plant.They replaced it with a Seddon 16/4 after which was replaced with an Ergo cabbed Leyland Lynx,just before they pack up.
Cheers Dave.

ben walker:
Hi Boatchaser,
The Name I think is just a term for the Jewish People,The Depot at Padgate Warrington was Davis Bros

Cheers Ben.

Ben
Thanks for the info the term for Jewish people i,ve have heard before so is there any /has anyone out there got pics from the depot at Padgate

Removed due to breach of copyright

Yes they were brown before they became blue although Charles Poulters and Priestners were cream cabs, usually Traders and BMC’s although during Nationalization they of course ran some 8 wheeled Fodens in red There was Yiddel, Solly and a third Brother who’s name escapes me but it was always known as Yiddels although Solly seemed to take a bigger part than Yiddel later…Tony.

There was 5 brothers, Sammy, Solly, Ubby, Harry, Frankie,Yiddle as far as i know was a collective name for the company.

Ben

Great photos Ben, Davis Bros must be 1 of the most (in)famous Hauliers ever, my dad was an East End boy born/raised in Poplar, he never worked for Davis but a mention of their name always bought a smile to his face! But why did they disappear? I have never seen/read a history of them. Classic Commercial mag’ said a couple of years ago that they were researching them & were going to run an article on them spread over a few issues but they never did.

Well what happened to them is ? but they were very naughty as I rememeber in those days, they were rule benders, like most hauliers in those days, but they got caught, & payed the price.I think the traffic comisioners had it in for them,but they did a good service to everyone, & as far as I know they paid good money, a couple of my old pals worked for them in the 60s, on the roaming trunk they did from Gateshead, Warrington London, They did a lot out of Thames Board Mills in those days, lots of work going, I remember loading bricks from Stewartyby in the earley 60s It may have been off Bow Bells Transport, was that part of the D/B, group ? Regards Larry

All the black & white pictures on this page - bar the Charrington tanker - were taken by that great road transport photographer, Arthur Ingram.

It is only right that he should be credited for his photographic work.

Quite right, I have some of his books, he deserves the credit, hes done a fantastic job over the years, Regards Larry.