Anyone remember 'Everley Brothers Transport Contractors'?

Wha heeeeeeeeeeee at last i found some people who remembers Everly Bros Transport.Christ as a kid i would always sit outside the gate during school Holidays and just watch them coming and going in there nice blue Thames Traders and Ford D800s,i got to know a driver called Harry who took me in up to the Office to meet the Management and ask if he could take me round the yard show the lorries,i will never forget that day, think i was about 11 then and to my surprise a Thames Trader Artic came through the gate and i couldnt believe it,it was my bloody Uncle Wilf.So next day i was out with him two weeks later my dad started there as well.We lived in Clayton Road Hayes at the time so there yard only took me 10 mins to walk there,if i walked the other way i would be in Pump lane where Annis &Co had there yard wow ! they were Monster lorrys i thought at the time,me and my Brother would take turns as to which yard to visit Oh to be young again

Yes it was 100% Dark Blue (not light) and i thought i saw everthing there but i dont remember that Scammel only the ones over at Annis is yard you learn something everyday even though im now 63

I can remember a few drivers names if you need them

Verney Davis (dave)
Wilf Bartlett
Alf Nicholls (my dad)
Jack Harris (went to Econofrieght fron there to there Northolt Depot behind Cafe)
Lewis (or smiley as he was known)

Hi John,

You may know my mate…Bernie Adams ? His Father worked for Everleys at about the same time you are talking about and he also used to watch the lorries going in and out :smiley:

If you send me a PM I’ll give you his Phone number.

Trev.

Christ !! Trev i remember a few of us Kids used to hang outside the gate cant remember the names except one of them was called Dennis Gilmore and he used to be the Fruitgum Boy on tv adverts remember him, we ended up being good mates he appeared in loads of Films and many more adverts he also lived in Hayes

Hi I remember Everley Brothers Transport and the man who actually drove most of the heavy iron and the the Scamell Lorries and a Foden they had was a man called Bill Elliot. He was a good fitter and ended up working for himself in Datchet, and him and his brother used to do a lot of stock car racing. Also his brother Ted used to drive for Butters and drove a 6 wheel Foden Crane, they both came from Hillingdon and were excellent fitters.

Hi
I remember everley brothers my dad worked for them for 30 years . I also worked there part time
It was the best days of my life , It would be great to talk to others who share
This interest and look forward to hearing from you all . Cheers

Hi All,
Just joined and was surprised to see that anyone remembers the Everley Brothers in Hayes!
My Dad drove for them in the late 50s and early 60s, mainly on Thames Trader artics
As a lad I often went with him during school holidays and remember arriving at the yard in the dark before dawn and having to avoid the huge puddles as we made our way from the car to his truck.
He eventually ended up working on the regular run from Firestone’s on the Great West Rd up to the Ford Plant at Halewood near Liverpool. From memory it was about a twelve to fourteen hour run and was a day up and a day back. On arriving, he would park the truck in the car park of the Beehive pub on the Halebank Rd and used to have digs in the small farm opposite, owned by a guy named Billy.

The trucks were a very dark blue (a bit like the BOAC blue) and on the small doors of the Traders the sign writing was written in a circle I think, at least the top part 'Everley’s for Transport was written that way.
I also remember another company that were about a lot then, Mckinnon’s who used to run green and cream Bedfords. I assume that they were also local.
Happy Days!

BernieB:
Hi All,
Just joined and was surprised to see that anyone remembers the Everley Brothers in Hayes!
My Dad drove for them in the late 50s and early 60s, mainly on Thames Trader artics
As a lad I often went with him during school holidays and remember arriving at the yard in the dark before dawn and having to avoid the huge puddles as we made our way from the car to his truck.
He eventually ended up working on the regular run from Firestone’s on the Great West Rd up to the Ford Plant at Halewood near Liverpool. From memory it was about a twelve to fourteen hour run and was a day up and a day back. On arriving, he would park the truck in the car park of the Beehive pub on the Halebank Rd and used to have digs in the small farm opposite, owned by a guy named Billy.

The trucks were a very dark blue (a bit like the BOAC blue) and on the small doors of the Traders the sign writing was written in a circle I think, at least the top part 'Everley’s for Transport was written that way.
I also remember another company that were about a lot then, Mckinnon’s who used to run green and cream Bedfords. I assume that they were also local.
Happy Days!

Living in West London as a lorry mad nipper, I remember both firms and their lorries. Weren’t McKinnons wholesale grocers?
Bernard

Not sure about McKinnon, I think I remember them turning up on some jobs and at Firestone’s so I assumed that they were general haulage. I could be wrong though, it was a long time ago!

BernieB:
Not sure about McKinnon, I think I remember them turning up on some jobs and at Firestone’s so I assumed that they were general haulage. I could be wrong though, it was a long time ago!

You might be right, I’ve maybe got the wrong McKinnon, I certainly remember the grocers of that name, ran Bedford O and A type artics from west London somewhere.
Bernard

albion1938:

BernieB:

You might be right, I’ve maybe got the wrong McKinnon, I certainly remember the grocers of that name, ran Bedford O and A type artics from west London somewhere.
Bernard

Well, if they were green and cream they may be the same outfit. The one that I remember ran S and later TK Bedfords. I have tried Google but not found anything on there yet.

My dad drove for Everly brothers in Hayes in the mid sixties I went out in the trucks as a nipper he started with a Thames trader and later D series .One job he took me on was delivering a steam train and signal box to whipsnade zoo . I remember one driver called terry who drove a D series rigid flatbed with hiab my dad left to work for mc Alpine just up the road the last time I went in the yay it was Norman Reeves the old Irish guy who did the spares remembered me as a kid he must have had every part number and location in his head top guy

Vandobuilt:
My dad drove for Everly brothers in Hayes in the mid sixties I went out in the trucks as a nipper he started with a Thames trader and later D series .One job he took me on was delivering a steam train and signal box to whipsnade zoo . I remember one driver called terry who drove a D series rigid flatbed with hiab my dad left to work for mc Alpine just up the road the last time I went in the yay it was Norman Reeves the old Irish guy who did the spares remembered me as a kid he must have had every part number and location in his head top guy

Assuming that your dad was Dave Vandome, who lived in Wellingborough, I worked with him for a number of years on haulage for David Bletsoe-Brown. Knowing my interest in old trucks we spent quite a while chatting over a coffee whilst waiting to load at Bux Corrugated. A thoroughly decent bloke who had had an interesting lifetime in transport. As in life we eventually went our own ways, and I was very saddened sometime later to get a Christmas card from his wife that also informed me of his sad passing. Now in my seventies, Dave was a work colleague that I shall always remember.

Hi all. Well as the subject line says can anyone remember Everley Brothers? I have a few black and white pictures but I need to know what colours the livery was in. Every time you try to search online you just get info about the singers with the same name, frustrating. I’m particularly interested in a Scammell Mountaineer they operated. Hope you can help.
Rich.

Hi Ratfink, Are you talking about Everley bros from Hayes? If so they were dark Blue, I’ve been looking for some pictures of their wagons for ages, hope you can share your photos on here :wink:
This is the only picture I have, courtesy of Bubblemans scrapbook!

All the best
Trev.

Hi Trev,
Yes they did operate from Hayes. Looking at your photograph the livery seems to be a lot darker than this:-

but then that could be just down to the camera I suppose. This is the Scammell Mountaineer I want to build in 1/50 scale but I’ve been trying for ages to find the colour.
Regards,
Rich.

ratfink_66:
Hi all. Well as the subject line says can anyone remember Everley Brothers?

Phil and Don wasn’t it? - sorry, but somebody had to say it :grimacing: am i being a bit of a (cathy’s) clown?

Nice picture of the Scammell Rich, I’ll have a word with my mate, who’s father used to work for them, see if he can remember what shade of blue it was.

Trev.

I knew someone would mention Phil and Don :laughing: jj72 that’s what happens when you put the name into google all you get is them singers.
Trev, that’d be grand if you could ask someone. I’m on loads of forums, been lurking on here for years just browsing and this firm never seems to crop up anywhere.
Rich.