davis bros

I know its all mixed up in there somewhere,because i have an old mate who lives in Holland who is from Boston who used to drive for Tower hill then he said he worked for Yiddle at Bow bells.I Think with the Davis bros it was difficult to get a handle on anything. :smiley:

IIRC this accident happened in the mid 60’s and it was a light blue Scammell Highwayman of Davis Bros Warrington depot ? It was jack knifed down the scree below the A6 and was there for a few months. I seem to recall that a Wreckergang from Davis’s turned up on a number of occasions trying to “weigh up” how to get it back, in the end IIRC they dragged down into the valley and took it out on the single track road which joined the A6 just north of the Old Jungle cafĂ©. I bet that driver would have had to change his “shreddies” because he was lucky the outfit didn’t roll. I don’t think it was loaded but I’m not certain. Cheers Berwick.

hutpik:
I know its all mixed up in there somewhere,because i have an old mate who lives in Holland who is from Boston who used to drive for Tower hill then he said he worked for Yiddle at Bow bells.I Think with the Davis bros it was difficult to get a handle on anything. :smiley:

Yes,the subject of Davis Bros and Tower Hill crops up very often on here and Facebook Hutpik.

Gott Nytt Ar.

Yes i Think we can saftley say that Solly and Yiddle were a bit '‘special’.I remember Yiddle offering me a job when he had all the Charles Poulter motors in the 70’s.Glad to say i declined.

Hi, do any of the old Davis drivers remember when one of their drivers got to the bottom of Archway Hill on the way home, and fell asleep. It appeared that he had been taking drugs to keep him going but tiredness got the better of him at Archway and Old Bill found him out to the wide. It was said at the time that he slept for a week afterwards. That would have been around 1957/8.Bill.

Berwick. You are not even close. Jp3

Joepipe3:
Does anybody know about the long nose scamell that went over the shap in the sixties,the drivers name was w
n if he is still around let’s hear his version I know the truth

Hello Jopipe.
Don’t think the Driver is still around, could you tell us the truth now.
Ben.

ben walker:

Joepipe3:
Does anybody know about the long nose scamell that went over the shap in the sixties,the drivers name was w
n if he is still around let’s hear his version I know the truth

Hello Joepipe.
Don’t think the Driver is still around, could you tell us the truth now.
Ben.

Hello Joepipe when did P&S finish up I think I was on Nights at the time with LEP East Kilbride would it be about 71 or near it from there I went to Strathclyde then took a Job with Archbold in P&S Old Depot in Ballieston bad move were you still about when they finished up, you said about the Davis over Shap Bewick wisnae near whit was your version just curious

Ben.

Chinook heavy lift Helicopter :sunglasses: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Still quessing Dennis. Joepipe

Hi Ben,I think it was 69/70 long time ago ,when Jerry keown left he had lost his brief my fault allegedly another cracking story,he got it back and started with LEP you might have met. Joepipe

Dynamo or maybe Paul Daniels ? :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi dennis,the recovery bit is easy,what was the beginning the middle and the end? As said in the past I can’t print the story because of the laws of libel. Joepipe

Joepipe3:
Hi dennis,the recovery bit is easy,what was the beginning the middle and the end? As said in the past I can’t print the story because of the laws of libel. Joepipe

Hi Joe it has been said on this Forum a while back it was a Smith of Lye Wagon.
Ben.

Hi Ben,it was as I said and as I have stated in the past I can’t put pen to paper, so as far as this story goes it is now finished so don’t ask! That incident happened on Tuesday night and on Thursday night I came into the Millburn cafe there was half a dozen trunkers all sitting with long faces, I said who is for tea? nobody spoke, I said what have I done? still no reply,then somebody said (have you not heard about Jed (clampet) I said no, we heard he was killed on Tuesday night. I said you’re joking, I was in tears, I was very friendly with the big man. After a while I asked, Where did it happen? They said the Shap, I then told them the truth and they were going daft saying are you sure, are you sure and eventually everyone was happy. That is the middle bit of the story . I am in tears thinking back to that night. Joepipe

Hi all, just bringing this up again.
Could this be a Davis bros Merc? Its pictured in the early 70’s

Steve.

pollystag:

Steve.

dont think it is a Davis Bros merc as they finished up i think in 68 the ones they had left were painted Red in Larrow colours,this one has a red Bumper and Red Mudwings which Davis had but no red on the front of the Bonnet Ben.

pollystag:

Steve.

I know that Charles Pouter was part of the Davis set up,they ran a lot of cream coloured long nosed Mercs,very often to be seen loaded with timber.

Was Bow Bells Transport Ltd part of Sollies lot :question: Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Was Bow Bells Transport Ltd part of Sollies lot :question: Larry.

Hi Larry. not as far as i knew Bow Bells was Fankies if i remember right a seperate entity with a depot on the Highway. Ben